magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

It is time to retire the 2017-2018 official season thread and start a new offseason thread. 

Looking forward to this year draft, new coaching staff and  free agency. Exciting times for an Orlando Magic Fan. 

Let the rumors begin!

md1, please use the draft thread for draft related posts. Ditto with coaching rumors. This can be the catch all for trade and free agent rumors. Thanks 

Here's my (non draft) hopes for the offseason:

Trade Vuc and Evan 

Keep AG and try our best with Mario

Add at least 1 decent player with whatever exceptions we have (is the MLE too much for Van Vleet?)

3 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

md1, please use the draft thread for draft related posts. Ditto with coaching rumors. This can be the catch all for trade and free agent rumors. Thanks 

Sure,NP. How can I move it there? My intention was to post it at the Draft Thread. 

LOL. Nevermind

Just now, magicdoc1 said:

Sure,NP. How can I move it there? My intention was to post it at the Draft Thread. 

Already done ;)

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Here's my (non draft) hopes for the offseason:

Trade Vuc and Evan 

Keep AG and try our best with Mario

Add at least 1 decent player with whatever exceptions we have (is the MLE too much for Van Vleet?)

Don’t know if I’d pay the entire MLE for VanVleet but I’d give him a good portion of it. I’d also be intrigued to see if we could get IT for the MLE.

18 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Don’t know if I’d pay the entire MLE for VanVleet but I’d give him a good portion of it. I’d also be intrigued to see if we could get IT for the MLE.

I think IT is done

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

How so?

He's super small and survived on quickness. This hip has destroyed his mobility. He's 29 and was really bad with both Cleveland and the Lakers. Feels like he's going to be that guy who bounces around for a couple years and then is out of the league

48 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's super small and survived on quickness. This hip has destroyed his mobility. He's 29 and was really bad with both Cleveland and the Lakers. Feels like he's going to be that guy who bounces around for a couple years and then is out of the league

Yea! I dont think we go with a PG on the free market. We are definetely drafting one and keeping DJ as our backup.

I posted this on draft thread earlier today, but I edited it and copied my offseason dreams and I'll post it here. I personally would love for the Magic to be super aggressive this off season and go for two lottery picks. A package of Fournier/Ross/Mack/Future Pick -- I think that would entice the Clippers to give up the #12 pick. Maybe we'd have to take someone back like Louis Williams or S&T for Avery Bradley. I would personally love to have Tobias Harris back, but I'm not sure they'll let him go. 

With our pick at #6, I would love to see the Magic go after Mikal Bridges

With our hopeful pick at #12, I would love to see the Magic get SGA.

Then you have free agency. Bleacher Report says that we could have Dennis Schroder by trading Vucevic

Which I think could be an interesting get for us, that lets SGA have some room to grow and learn without the pressure of producing immediately. 

If we traded Vuc, you obviously need some other role playing bigs who will take smaller contracts who could be role players for us if Isaac and Gordon hit their strides. 

Our main offseason acquisition target should be Rodney Hood in my opinion. I like his attitude, he can create his own shot, and he won't be arrogant enough to look for a max contract or anything like that. I think he is an achievable target. 

PG -- Schroder / SGA / DJ

SG -- Simmons / Iwundu

SF -- Hood / Bridges

PF -- Gordon / Isaac

C -- Birch

Obviously, we'd still need to fill out that roster a little bit with some role players. Here is a short list of names I wouldn't mind seeing the Magic go after. 

PG -- If we trade DJ somewhere -- IT, Jeremy Lin, Dante Exum

SG -- Zach LaVine, Wayne Ellington, Mario Hezonja

SF -- Wilson Chandler, Jabari Parker

PF -- Michael Beasley, Luc Mbah a Moute

C -- Enes Kanter, Greg Monroe, Nerleans Noel, Montrezl Harrell

If the price is right, I'd be interested in these guys. I don't want bad contracts and I know A LOT of our money is going to AG, but I'd be interested what kind of "magic" our FO could come up with because I don't know how interested the rest of the NBA will be in these guys. I think there is a pitch that we can make to the FA's that isn't just "come to Florida cause of Tax stuff and it's sunny." I think you almost pitch free agents like you would recruit in college. "Have we had a bad recent history? Yes. Are we doing something about it. You're damn right. You could be apart of building something. You could be apart of something special, not just another piece in a puzzle, but a building block to bringing this proud franchise out of the depths it has been in for years."

I think the guys on this list have this "I have something to prove" attitude and we can tap into that as we're rebuilding.