Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2018 Watch the Playoffs thread

So, I might have a hot-take here, but watching someone play a bunch of times doesn't make your opinion on that player more or less valid than others, especially when talking about the draft where there are way more than one player to consider.

In fact, it can often distort your vision of the player in question's ability- for better or worse. These created biases can make it difficult to appropriately rank the player amongst his peers, especially when you have seen him play exponentially more than others. It is similar to the biases held by parents about their children verses other children. Many (if not most) parents think that their children are special, are better than their peers in one way or another. Does this bias come about through a wealth of knowledge and experience? From studies benchmarking their children against their peers? Generally speaking, no. Most parents interact with few children other than their own. But the parents know that their children are "special" or "better" as they have been around the child and seen the child grow up.

And, this whole "I have watched more" ends up being nothing more than a stupid, un-provable, dick measuring contest. No one on these boards can prove that they watched the most of Trae Young, or of any other prospect. And honestly, it shouldn't matter. Instead, have you watched enough? Have you read analysis about the prospect with an open mind? Do you understand the analysis and what it is trying to say? Have you approached the discussion with the willingness to engage, or are you closed to the other side?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back on topic.

If there is anything that this finals is showing, it is that we will one day be telling future generations about how they don't understand how truly special this Warriors team was or how damn dominant Lebron was.

I mean damn. For a series that might end up being a sweep, for a series that is now on its 4th iteration, Lebron and the Warriors are making it anything but stale. Lebron and the struggle against the inevitable. The Warriors having to do everything to keep him down. The fight for history. The amazing finals performances on both sides.

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling the Cavs will win tonight. They are at home and LeBron will be juiced up. . .I don't mean on drugs. Iguodala will play tonight. He is a good defender and will defend LeBron, but I don't think he will be able to stop LeBron. In my opinion, LJ will go off (40 or more points) and the role players will play a big part in the win. They will be draining 3s. The Warriors will start out slow as they sometimes do, but won't be able to stage a come back. I hope I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I have a feeling the Cavs will win tonight. They are at home and LeBron will be juiced up. . .I don't mean on drugs. Iguodala will play tonight. He is a good defender and will defend LeBron, but I don't think he will be able to stop LeBron. In my opinion, LJ will go off (40 or more points) and the roll players will play a big part in the win. They will be draining 3s. The Warriors will start out slow as they sometimes do, but won't be able to stage a come back. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the Warriors are gonna come out fast, shooting for the kill. If the Cavs can withstand that early run they’ll win close, I think. I’m expecting a 16+ point night out of Korver

On 6/5/2018 at 12:37 AM, MagicFan1234 said:

Oh please! Even if I am not a Sooners fan, I would still say Trae

Trae just allows us to build the roster is so much more of a defined trajectory, he's easier to build around and even if we pick someone else well still have to eventually find a guy like Trae and I'm like why take the risk of finding an inferior player than Trae. Just take Trae 

This is weird. Golden State had a bunch of questionable calls go against them and I come here to do my whole "bad calls go both ways" thing and yet nobody is complaining.

Weeeird...