Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2018 Watch the Playoffs thread

15 hours ago, The Boss said:

Smart would be rubbish on a poor team.

100% disagree. I think it’s easy to argue the opposite... that Smart helped Boston move from being rubbish to a championship contender. When they drafted him, they were coming off a 25-57 season. Look at their record with him on the team. www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/

Furthermore, looking at the advanced stats, he’s made a positive impact on the court every year he’s been in the NBA: stats.nba.com/player/203935/.

Smart has an ugly game but he’s a pit bull and a winner. If we had a creative coach, I believe he could legitimately play as a Swiss army wing and help change the trajectory of our team. As a last random point, does anyone remember who Pelton ranked as his number one NBA prospect coming out of college in 2014 with a 3.6 WARP projection? Marcus Smart. 

46 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

+/- can really be a dumb stat. Chris Paul was -13 yesterday

I never understood this +/- stuff, but I googled it.

Is it possible that cp3's -13 is due to too much iso , especially in the 4th quarter and not enough all around play/team involvement? 

In my opinion, there was not a lot of ball movement. They gave him the ball and he scored on almost every possession (iso) without passing the ball.

Does anyone have an explanation for the -13 other than what I suggested (I honestly don't know).

16 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I never understood this +/- stuff, but I googled it.

Is it possible that cp3's -13 is due to too much iso , especially in the 4th quarter and not enough all around play/team involvement? 

In my opinion, there was not a lot of ball movement. They gave him the ball and he scored on almost every possession (iso) without passing the ball.

Does anyone have an explanation for the -13 other than what I suggested (I honestly don't know).

+/- is explained easily. Let's say you play the entire first quarter and your team loses 30-20. Your +/- is -10 for the first quarter

What happened is that Houston had a big lead and Chris Paul was in the game in the 2nd quarter when the Warriors came back from double digits and tied it. That did the most damage to his +/-

The fact that he was amazing in the 3rd and 4th quarter didn't change the stat that much because it was still a close game

23 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

+/- is explained easily. Let's say you play the entire first quarter and your team loses 30-20. Your +/- is -10 for the first quarter

What happened is that Houston had a big lead and Chris Paul was in the game in the 2nd quarter when the Warriors came back from double digits and tied it. That did the most damage to his +/-

The fact that he was amazing in the 3rd and 4th quarter didn't change the stat that much because it was still a close game

Okay, thanks MP.

4 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

100% disagree. I think it’s easy to argue the opposite... that Smart helped Boston move from being rubbish to a championship contender. When they drafted him, they were coming off a 25-57 season. Look at their record with him on the team. www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/

Furthermore, looking at the advanced stats, he’s made a positive impact on the court every year he’s been in the NBA: stats.nba.com/player/203935/.

Smart has an ugly game but he’s a pit bull and a winner. If we had a creative coach, I believe he could legitimately play as a Swiss army wing and help change the trajectory of our team. As a last random point, does anyone remember who Pelton ranked as his number one NBA prospect coming out of college in 2014 with a 3.6 WARP projection? Marcus Smart. 

The issue with Marcus Smart is that he is not really a true point guard because he's not a top passer, and as a shooting guard he's solid defensively but offensively he's streaky and isn't really an accurate shooter. So unless he does something unexpected and breaks out as a star on a different team that pays and features him, then I would say his best fit would be on a play off team because he can provide them production off the bench leading their second unit and is more than capable of starting if required. But I am not sure he's a good fit for us because he's not really a true point guard and he's not a lights out shooter or scorer to make him ideal at shooting guard. 

Just now, Mike1989 said:

The issue with Marcus Smart is that he is not really a true point guard because he's not a top passer, and as a shooting guard he's solid defensively but offensively he's streaky and isn't really an accurate shooter. So unless he does something unexpected and breaks out as a star on a different team that pays and features him, then I would say his best fit would be on a play off team because he can provide them production off the bench leading their second unit and is more than capable of starting if required. But I am not sure he's a good fit for us because he's not really a true point guard and he's not a lights out shooter or scorer to make him ideal at shooting guard. 

And he's restricted so you can't leverage his weaknesses into his contact. You have to overpay to get him. 

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And he's restricted so you can't leverage his weaknesses into his contact. You have to overpay to get him. 

Good point. The only thing in our favor is they already have Irving's backup in Rozier under contract for next season and hold his rights, and they could draft a backup shooting guard like Donte DiVincenzo late in the first round. So perhaps some team could be able to pry him away from them because they will not want to over pay Smart and tie themselves to a burdensome contract, but in their situation I could see them matching any sensible offer because he adds a lot to their second unit. Not many teams can boast talent like him off the bench. 

For me, I wouldn't overpay him. I think we should look elsewhere. 

Imagine how exhausting it must be to be a LeBron detractor.

• Like 1