Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2018 Watch the Playoffs thread

It’s all over but the crying. Lebron is a legend, no doubt!, but the Celtics are a much more balanced team that can defend; and they’re young. I love the adjustments by coach and the depth; this team is going to rule the east for a long, long time. Ainge is a master, wish we had him at the helm. He picks Fultz sends him to Philly for Tatum (the real #1 pick) and also picks up another first; what a genius! He fleesed Philly like they fleesed us with EP. Don’t forget they still have Hayward and Kyrie coming back next year; arguably their best players; this team is stacked! The sad part is our rebuild started at about the same time and we are in worse shape then when we started. It sucks to be a Magic fan. Will we ever get out of this purgatory? I think you can go ahead and write in (Warriors versus Celtics) for the foreseeable future. Maybe we can get some of their crumbs; Rozier looks nice. 

I hope the Celtics win the championship with this good young group, then sign Leonard or some other star and never win another 'ship. 

Colin couldn't be more right. I like Harden but people get caught up in stats and end up playing iso ball for 40+ minutes while the real teams (Warriors, '14 Spurs) sacrifice individual awards for great basketball and championships

48 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Colin couldn't be more right. I like Harden but people get caught up in stats and end up playing iso ball for 40+ minutes while the real teams (Warriors, '14 Spurs) sacrifice individual awards for great basketball and championships

The Rockets aren't a true iso team in the sense of having bad isolation habits, though.  They exploit match ups everytime down the court; that's their whole game plan.  They led the league in isolation PPP at 1.12 during the regular season, and they're doing so again in the playoffs at 1.07. 

In game 1 they were 14-22 in isolation for 1.47 PPP.  If anything, non-isolation inability to score that hurt them.  I can't watch that clip right now, but if Cowherd is suggesting that Harden and Westbrook's isolations are the same then he's not paying attention to the way Houston purposefully isos in beneficial situations.

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

The Rockets aren't a true iso team in the sense of having bad isolation habits, though.  They exploit match ups everytime down the court; that's their whole game plan.  They led the league in isolation PPP at 1.12 during the regular season, and they're doing so again in the playoffs at 1.07. 

In game 1 they were 14-22 in isolation for 1.47 PPP.  If anything, non-isolation inability to score that hurt them.  I can't watch that clip right now, but if Cowherd is suggesting that Harden and Westbrook's isolations are the same then he's not paying attention to the way Houston purposefully isos in beneficial situations.

Yes, game 1 was just one incident but Harden still froze out his teammates by pounding the ball for too long. Your individual stats don't matter too much if your teammates feel left out and play with lower intensity because of it. That's why I'm rooting for the Celtics to beat the team with the superstar

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Yes, game 1 was just one incident but Harden still froze out his teammates by pounding the ball for too long. Your individual stats don't matter too much if your teammates feel left out and play with lower intensity because of it. That's why I'm rooting for the Celtics to beat the team with the superstar

Yeah I guess I just disagree that it's really an issue at all though.  They won 65 games and have the most analytics-driven front office in the league; Cowherd (now I've watched the clip) is oversimplifying it and assuming Harden is just off-the-cuff iso-ing when in reality he is taking advantage of statistically favorable and analytically-designed opportunities that the offense has intentionally created for him.  The stats back up that the offensive scheme is sound and effective for their personnel.  Just because GS has success doing it another way doesn't mean that Houston's way is incorrect.  Houston allows Harden to drive to develop an efficient scoring opportunity, whether its a layup, getting to the FT line, or kicking out to an open teammate; GS develops open looks through off-ball movement.

If they were running this sort of iso-heavy offense with poor results it should and would be a talking point, just like it always has been.  I just think it's creating a negative narrative of something that has been highly successful all year.   

5 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Yeah I guess I just disagree that it's really an issue at all though.  They won 65 games and have the most analytics-driven front office in the league; Cowherd (now I've watched the clip) is oversimplifying it and assuming Harden is just off-the-cuff iso-ing when in reality he is taking advantage of statistically favorable and analytically-designed opportunities that the offense has intentionally created for him.  The stats back up that the offensive scheme is sound and effective for their personnel.  Just because GS has success doing it another way doesn't mean that Houston's way is incorrect.  Houston allows Harden to drive to develop an efficient scoring opportunity, whether its a layup, getting to the FT line, or kicking out to an open teammate; GS develops open looks through off-ball movement.

If they were running this sort of iso-heavy offense with poor results it should and would be a talking point, just like it always has been.  I just think it's creating a negative narrative of something that has been highly successful all year.   

Amin Elhassan talks about that, exactly. Houston's strategy is good enough to beat 28 teams but against Golden State they need to be more creative

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Amin Elhassan talks about that, exactly. Houston's strategy is good enough to beat 28 teams but against Golden State they need to be more creative

That part certainly might be true.

14 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Making sure he pad his stats on his way to a 2 game loss. :) 

Haha the team played great in the first half but second half it’s like they went back to hating each other. 

• Like 1

Houston was gritty as *****. They made golden states defense look like a complete myth.  Curry laid egg for the most part of the game.  They needed him the most and he just laid an egg.  

Eric Gordon and PJ tucker were critcal tonight. Eric gordon could not be stopped the rockets were the ultimate answerers tonight.  No runs allowed to comeback in this game. They made dagger shot after dagger shot.