Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2018 Watch the Playoffs thread

I really shouldn't have engaged. There really is no reasoning with people who have been around long enough to remember when Orlando beat Cleveland in 2009 yet still somehow think the league is rigged so that LeBron James always wins. Do we seriously think the league didn't want a Lebron vs Kobe finals? The level of tinfoil hat garbage that goes into these conversations always amazes me. So nevermind. If it makes the tinfoil-hat crowd feel any better, then sure, LeBron James is not a great basketball player. He is simply propped up by the league. He's the Bill Goldberg of the NBA. Can we all move beyond this stupid conversation now?

Buddy Thomas: Why I can’t enjoy LeBron James’ bully ball

"LeBron James may be the greatest NBA player of his or, arguably, any era, but how good would he be if he was forced to play by the rules that govern virtually every amateur basketball league? Yes, he’s big, strong, agile, amazingly athletic and, by far, the king of his sport. But there are plenty of people who can drive around a rotary on Cape Cod and come through unscathed who would not be as fortunate if they had to make big-time adjustments in an effort to negotiate a NASCAR track during a racing event.

Only in the NBA can a player stop his dribble at the foul line, take two steps, pirouette and lay the ball in the basket without forcing a game official to blow his whistle. The only exception is when the whirling dervish is being rewarded for drawing a “continuation” foul, which LeBron seems to have perfected. College basketball may also have the “two step” rule, but traveling calls in one college game probably out-number the number of travel calls in an NBA season. That’s because the NBA is about flash-and-dash and scoring points and, from an offensive standpoint, nobody is more flashy, dashy or prolific than LeBron James. 

So why can’t I root for the guy? I guess it’s because I’ve never been a fan of the bully and every time I’ve seen LeBron play he’s cast that role. He gives, but can’t take. For a star of such magnitude, has there ever been a bigger complainer?"

Watch him on offense. Are his shoulders that big from working out or just swollen from consistently driving them into any opposing body that dares block his path to the basket? If there is no direct route, James will back his way through a defender with a series of body bumps until he finds the open path — usually without picking up an offensive foul. For proof, check out the numbers."

Link

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/sports/20170614/buddy-thomas-why-i-cant-enjoy-lebron-james-bully-ball

10 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Fan for far too long?  What is your interpretation of bully ball?  

He overpowers people in the post by pushing them out of the way with either his forearm or just his mass and strength. Very few can even get close to matching it. He also intimidates referees insesently complaining and cowering over them. He bull rushes down the lane like a freight train on fire and NO on dare get in the way because your not gonna get the foul called and u just might be knocked out for the rest of the game. 

Its ugly basketball. Like watching the 25 year old on the playground dominating a bunch of 12 year olds. It’s no fun to watch and it’s boring as hell. 

This topic is growing old and there is no reasoning with a few of you.  I will just summarize my overall view by saying that I feel sorry for those of you who are not able to recognize/appreciate someone playing the sport at its absolute zenith.  You are enough of a fan of the game to dedicate a portion of your life to reading and posting on an online basketball forum, and yet you choose to ignore the sublime skill of one of the two best players to ever walk the Earth, even though he has made it readily apparent for 15 years.

I can't imagine investing that much time into something and yet being completely oblivious to something so brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, ML6 said:

This topic is growing old and there is no reasoning with a few of you.  I will just summarize my overall view by saying that I feel sorry for those of you who are not able to recognize/appreciate someone playing the sport at its absolute zenith.  You are enough of a fan of the game to dedicate a portion of your life to reading and posting on an online basketball forum, and yet you choose to ignore the sublime skill of one of the two best players to ever walk the Earth, even though he has made it readily apparent for 15 years.

I can't imagine investing that much time into something and yet being completely oblivious to something so brilliant.

m4055.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

He overpowers people in the post by pushing them out of the way with either his forearm or just his mass and strength. Very few can even get close to matching it. He also intimidates referees insesently complaining and cowering over them. He bull rushes down the lane like a freight train on fire and NO on dare get in the way because your not gonna get the foul called and u just might be knocked out for the rest of the game. 

Its ugly basketball. Like watching the 25 year old on the playground dominating a bunch of 12 year olds. It’s no fun to watch and it’s boring as hell. 

Best way to describe it in my opinion is the league allowing him to play football on hardwood. This why he isnt impressive to me.  He doesnt get around people with explosion.  He shoves them out of the way.  Sometimes, with consecutive forearms.  Now that he knows he won't get called for offensive fouls, its his last crutch.  

In 2013, he had the explosion to get around anyone....except kawhi leonard. 

21 minutes ago, ~O~ said:

Best way to describe it in my opinion is the league allowing him to play football on hardwood. This why he isnt impressive to me.  He doesnt get around people with explosion.  He shoves them out of the way.  Sometimes, with consecutive forearms.  Now that he knows he won't called for it, its his last crutch.  

In 2013, he had the exolosion to get around anyone....except kawhi leonard. 

I agree and he was a better player back then. Now he has better numbers but he gets them by just being bigger. I wonder what his hat size is now. 

• Upvote 1

When you're the face of the league, you're gonna have a lot of people dislike you. Kobe went through it, even Stephen did at a point. Nobody hated Steph until he became a superstar. But the difference between those two and lebron is even though they get questionable calls most of their buckets came from skill/very difficult shots. Which you can't complain about and can only respect. Lebron on the other hand is just bull rushing his way through with the refs giving him the advantage. I personally like Lebron more than kobe, its honestly just the Lebron fans who irritate me the most they can be very closed minded.