Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2018 Watch the Playoffs thread

1 minute ago, MagicFan1234 said:

What? If you ask any basketball fan who is the best player in the world, most of them would be saying Michael Jordan 

I think you mean Michael Jordan is the GOAT (greatest of all time). I have no doubt that Michael can still play, but I think there are more than a few players who are currently playing/in their prime that could probably beat up on the now 55 year old Jordan, or the now 39 year old Kobe Bryant. Father Time is still undefeated, he gets the best of everyone. 

3 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

What? If you ask any basketball fan who is the best player in the world, most of them would be saying Michael Jordan 

No basketball fan would say Micheal Jordan is the best player in the world. They might be saying that he was the best player to ever, but that has no impact on who is the best player currently, or the player that people are going to see as the best active player.

3 minutes ago, Odin said:

No basketball fan would say Micheal Jordan is the best player in the world. They might be saying that he was the best player to ever, but that has no impact on who is the best player currently, or the player that people are going to see as the best active player.

That only applies to kids or people who never saw Jordan play

17 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

I'm going to assume that English might be your second language.

You can certainly argue that Jordan, in his prime, was the best to ever play the game; but currently, at 55 years old and long retired, he is no longer that player. That isn't a knock on him, just accepting that everyone ages, and becomes less adept at a physical activity like basketball. There are currently any number of players who are in the league right now who would be able to beat Michael Jordan now, since he is older and not the player he was. Could they beat him in HIS prime, probably not. It has nothing to do with whether you saw Jordan play or not; no one is saying he wasn't great, they are simply talking about who is the best in the league, TODAY, in 2018. 

23 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Is English not your native language? Or are you purposely being obtuse?

People watch Cleveland because LeBron (like it or not) is the current best and most famous player in the world. The bonefides of Micheal Jordan really have little to no impact on that current truth. As jmmagicfan put it, a 55 year old Micheal Jordan is not the current best player and no one is tuning in to watch him play.

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm going to assume that English might be your second language.

You can certainly argue that Jordan, in his prime, was the best to ever play the game; but currently, at 55 years old and long retired, he is no longer that player. That isn't a knock on him, just accepting that everyone ages, and becomes less adept at a physical activity like basketball. There are currently any number of players who are in the league right now who would be able to beat Michael Jordan now, since he is older and not the player he was. Could they beat him in HIS prime, probably not. It has nothing to do with whether you saw Jordan play or not; no one is saying he wasn't great, they are simply talking about who is the best in the league, TODAY, in 2018. 

I like that we wrote very similar posts at about the same time- though yours is probably nicer.

4 hours ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Nobody says that lol

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nobody says that lol

I do. Would you believe back in the day, I did not like Michael Jordan either, but Jordan was a different type basketball player than LeBron. Michael played the game with the type of athleticism and scoring ability which has not been replicated by anyone else. If LeBron is not bullying his way to the basket to get to the free throw line, then his team would be a mediocre team.

On the other hand, Jordan had/has a much higher basketball IQ than LeBron. Jordan did not whine about not having help from other players on his team. He had teammates like Scottie Pippen (his side kick), Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc, Charles Oakley, Dennis Rodman, BJ Armstrong,  and others who played their roles and did not disappear from one game to another requiring Jordan to win the game by himself.

I remember the game where Jordan was ill with a high fever, you could see the perspiration of a person who was very sick. He played anyway, he did not leave the bench to go to the locker room. I remember Scottie Pippen holding Michael up (he was slumped over), but he was determined to stay in the game and played until the final buzzer.

Like I said, I was not a fan of Michael Jordan, but had/have more respect for his style of play unlike the the current cry baby. I still have a giant poster of Jordan in a slam dunk competition where he took off from the free throw line to dunk the ball.

3 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I do. Would you believe back in the day, I did not like Michael Jordan either, but Jordan was a different type basketball player than LeBron. Michael played the game with the type of athleticism and scoring ability which has not been replicated by anyone else. If LeBron is not bullying his way to the basket to get to the free throw line, then his team would be a mediocre team.

On the other hand, Jordan had/has a much higher basketball IQ than LeBron. Jordan did not whine about not having help from other players on his team. He had teammates like Scottie Pippen (his side kick), Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc, Charles Oakley, Dennis Rodman, BJ Armstrong,  and others who played their roles and did not disappear from one game to another requiring Jordan to win the game by himself.

I remember the game where Jordan was ill with a high fever, you could see the perspiration of a person who was very sick. He played anyway, he did not leave the bench to go to the locker room. I remember Scottie Pippen holding Michael up (he was slumped over), but he was determined to stay in the game and played until the final buzzer.

Like I said, I was not a fan of Michael Jordan, but had/have more respect for his style of play unlike the the current cry baby. I still have a giant poster of Jordan in a slam dunk competition where he took off from the free throw line to dunk the ball.

No he's saying today. Like right now

I’m not sure that Jordan’s basketball IQ was any higher than Lebrons to be honest. He was a better pure scorer than Lebron for sure but Lebron does just about everything else on the basketball court as well, if not better, than Jordan. That’s just my unbiased opinion