Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Which One Play Ruined A Game Or Season For The Magic

Another instance where the Magic was close to stealing a round was in the 2003 playoffs. It was not just one play that cost us the series. I remember it so well. The Pistons were the number one seed in the eastern conference and the Magic were the number 8 seed.

The Magic won games 1, 3,and 4. All we needed was one more game to win the series. Tracey McGrady lit it up in 2 of the games. Guess who was on our roster at that time other than McGrady that turned out later to be a bitter pill for us.

Anyone else want to take it from there? Below are links to the scores in all 7 games and the rosters for both the Magic and the Pistons.

Links

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2003-nba-eastern-conference-first-round-magic-vs-pistons.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2003.html#all_roster

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Skip . . .  and he slapped Eddie House 

Now that was funny. Wasn't that the one where House's head band spun around. I could't stand Eddie House.

16 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I disagree Payton, I watched that game from start to finish. I watched as Jameer did not contest the shot. My comment was not based on anything that Jeff VanGundy said.

Payton? 

I do agree though. Rafer was playing really well during the time Jameer was out. The blame goes to Stan. He should have taken Jameer out and placed a bigger longer player on defense. It was clear that they needed that 3. 

The play that still cant get out of my mind is the Lee missed layup. Ouch. 

9 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Ha, ha! I keep forgetting. Several times since the trade, I have addressed ?4thewin as Payton.

I don't mind.  Makes more sense than referring to me as ?

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Payton? 

I do agree though. Rafer was playing really well during the time Jameer was out. The blame goes to Stan. He should have taken Jameer out and placed a bigger longer player on defense. It was clear that they needed that 3. 

The play that still cant get out of my mind is the Lee missed layup. Ouch. 

1st of all we should have fouled and put 5 rebounders on the floor. The CLee missed shot was a bummer but it was also a goaltend as Gasol touched both the net and the rim.

19 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Rafer was a big reason we were outscored by 16 in the third quarter.  He went 1-5 with a turnover that quarter. 

We were outscoring the Lakers 24-17 before that Fisher 3. Not playing Alston was the right move.  Maybe we should have put Lee back in for defense but lee was terrible that series and only played 7 minutes that game.  Hard to justify sticking a rookie back in on the final play.  

Rafer should have been in the game for defensive puposes. Jameer attempted to defend, but we're talking 5'10" Jameer Nelson here

1 hour ago, magicblue said:

Rafer should have been in the game for defensive puposes. Jameer attempted to defend, but we're talking 5'10" Jameer Nelson here

This is the winner (along with Rock Legends and others). Now that you mention it--and 4thewin produced a video--I remember Jameer with his hand in the air reaching. He could not get up high enough to defend the shot.  I also remember him spinning around flat-footed with an arm(s) in the air after Fisher made the 3 pt jump shot watching the shot go in.  He was too short to defend the shot.  :)

I understand alston did not have great numbers during the run, but his intangibles, attitude, confidence, swagger, we were playing at a different level with him. 

SVG messed it up by playing jameer again. 

Also I remember the following season we started playing better and jameer was lights out against bobcats and hawks, but rashsard was nowhere to be found and carter was not as good or as a difference maker as advertised (or expected) and we fell short to rondo and pierce

25 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

I understand alston did not have great numbers during the run, but his intangibles, attitude, confidence, swagger, we were playing at a different level with him. 

SVG messed it up by playing jameer again. 

Also I remember the following season we started playing better and jameer was lights out against bobcats and hawks, but rashsard was nowhere to be found and carter was not as good or as a difference maker as advertised (or expected) and we fell short to rondo and pierce.

I was never a fan of Jameer.  Sure, he was good at driving the paint for layups, alley-oops to Dwight, and he could make 3 pt. shots. Not only was he a black hole on defense, but he drove me crazy walking the ball up the court, allowing the opponent to set up their defense. A certain person would call me during a game complaining about the same thing.

When Steve Francis played for the Magic (before leaving), wasn't Jameer a shooting guard and Francis the starting point guard?