Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Which One Play Ruined A Game Or Season For The Magic

Is there ONE play--recently or in the past--you will never forget--that caused the Magic to lose an important game during the regular season or in a playoffs.

For me it was the 2008-2009 Playoffs Finals (Magic vs Lakers). I forget which game it was, but Rafer Alston had been the starting point guard for a while during the regular season, including the first 3 rounds of the playoffs and the first 4 games of the finals replacing Jameer Nelson who was injured . We could have won the game, except for the fact that Stan VanGundy allowed Jameer to play in that game (Jameer had not played in a while). The Magic was ahead in the final seconds when the Lakers rebounded the ball off of a missed shot by the Magic. Jameer was the only one back near half court for the Magic. Derek Fisher pushed the ball down court, and threw up a 3 pt.(?) shot near to where Jameer was standing, and that won the game for the Lakers. Jameer did not try to challenge the shot. The Lakers won the NBA championship.

Link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NBA_Finals 

I6toZj.png

10 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Is there ONE play--recently or in the past--you will never forget--that caused the Magic to lose an important game during the regular season or in a playoffs.

For me it was the 2008-2009 Playoffs Finals (Magic vs Lakers). I forget which game it was, but Rafer Alston had been the starting point guard for a while during the regular season, including the first 3 rounds of the playoffs and the first 4 games of the finals replacing Jameer Nelson who was injured . We could have won the game, except for the fact that Stan VanGundy allowed Jameer to play in that game (Jameer had not played in a while). The Magic was ahead in the final seconds when the Lakers rebounded the ball off of a missed shot by the Magic. Jameer was the only one back near half court for the Magic. Derek Fisher pushed the ball down court, and threw up a 3 pt.(?) shot near to where Jameer was standing, and that won the game for the Lakers. Jameer did not try to challenge the shot. The Lakers won the NBA championship.

Link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NBA_Finals 

I6toZj.png

We were better with jameer on the court that game. Dwight went 0-2 on free throws the previous possession and jameer contested the shot.  The narrative that jameer wasn't contesting the shot was built by Jeff van Gundy during the broadcast but here's the play. See for yourself 

The real argument should be we should have intentionally fouled 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

We were better with jameer on the court that game. Dwight went 0-2 on free throws the previous possession and jameer contested the shot.  The narrative that jameer wasn't contesting the shot was built by Jeff van Gundy during the broadcast but here's the play. See for yourself 

I disagree Payton, I watched that game from start to finish. I watched as Jameer did not contest the shot. My comment was not based on anything that Jeff VanGundy said.

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean look at this.  He's almost touching his elbow

Derek+Fisher+Jameer+Nelson+NBA+Finals+Ga

That was not the shot. Players from both teams were still on the other end or running towards the 2 players. Where are the other players from both teams in that shot?

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We should definitely have intentionally fouled. You don't let a guy shoot a 3 when you are up 3 with 4 seconds left in a playoff game.

5 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

That was not the shot. Players from both teams were still on the other end or running towards the 2 players. Where are the other players from both teams in that shot?

It was the shot.  Watch the video.  At the end it shows the exact angle.  

Edit: 0:56 on the video

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

It was the shot.  Watch the video.  At the end it shows the exact angle.  

Well, anyway, I felt that Rafer played the point very well that helped to get us that far, and Jameer should not have been allowed to replace him at that particular/crucial time--just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Well, anyway, I felt that Rafer played the point very well that helped to get us that far, and Jameer should not have been allowed to replace him at that particular/crucial time--just my opinion.

Rafer was a big reason we were outscored by 16 in the third quarter.  He went 1-5 with a turnover that quarter. 

We were outscoring the Lakers 24-17 before that Fisher 3. Not playing Alston was the right move.  Maybe we should have put Lee back in for defense but lee was terrible that series and only played 7 minutes that game.  Hard to justify sticking a rookie back in on the final play.  

Hedo missed free throws or free throw in a critical moment also. D12 missed 2. We win the game and possibly do the unthinkable and win the lot.

I was at that game as well. MEMORIES for life but was so upset. I was in my early 20s then.

Time flies. We will make it back and win it in my lifetime i know it!

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

We should definitely have intentionally fouled. You don't let a guy shoot a 3 when you are up 3 with 4 seconds left in a playoff game.

They've been doing this for ages in Europe and the NBA has slowly but surely warmed up to the idea. Philly did it to the Cavs