Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Clifford the big magic coach

14 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Yea i can see that. I think the coaching aspect is overrated here. We don't have good players to begin with. I'd be OK giving a new/inexperienced coach a crack at it. If he gets the players' attention great; if not hire another guy in a few years when (hopefully) we have some talent on this team. 

To be honest I'd have to disagree with the idea of hiring a short term option. What this team needs to do is highlight a coach that they want to build and develop this team with. This team needs patience because Vaughn lasted two and a bit seasons, Skiles one season, and Vogel two seasons. That type of turnover is not healthy for any team, even a rebuilding/tanking team needs some sense of stability to put in place the foundation on what they are going to build on when they get those good franchise changing players. Our next hire is really important because they need to be able to get the best out of players like Fournier, Simmons, Ross (etc), while helping players like Gordon and Isaac get to the next level, and also developing our young talent currently with us and soon to be with us into important members of this team as well.

If we make the wrong hire this time it could set us back because in a few seasons from now that could mean another front office, with another head coach, starting another rebuild in whatever image they want to build this team in. Obviously we will have Isaac to extend at that point and our 2018-2020 draft classes to bank on, but if this front office gets it wrong with the head coach they pick and results don't turn around, change will happen again because our ownership has shown they will make changes if they think things aren't going the way they want them to whether their ambition is realistic or not. 

For me, we need to highlight our Brad Stevens or Brett Brown. Someone that can come in and develop players, a positive culture, and build a winning team. No more short term options. Let's show some ambition and patience by hiring a high quality coach to come in and rebuild this team, then kick us on. 

Looks like we're cleaning house...where is Martins announcement?

The Orlando Magic continued to make staff changes after the firing of Frank Vogel and three of his assistant coaches late last week.

The team dismissed its athletic-training and strength-training staffs on Monday, including longtime head athletic trainer Keon Weise and head strength and conditioning coach Bill Burgos, league sources told the Orlando Sentinel.

Magic President of Basketball Operations Jeff Weltman and High Performance Director David Tenney informed the staff members of their dismissals during a meeting Monday morning.

Asked about the moves, Joel Glass, the Magic’s chief spokesman, responded, “We don’t comment on internal staff matters.”

In September, the Magic hired Tenney to supervise the Magic’s athletic-training and strength-training departments. Tenney had worked nine seasons for Major League Soccer’s Seattle Sounders in a variety of roles, including as head fitness coach, sports science/performance manager and high performance director.

This past season, Tenney determined whether injured Magic players would return to play and decided whether players returning from injuries would face minutes restrictions.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-medical-staff-firings-0418-story.html

22 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Every coach is a good coach until proven otherwise

Except Mark Jackson. He's just bad. 

I am not sure how Mark is bad since he has a winning record as head coach? There is worse head coaches than Jackson like Randy Wittman

1 minute ago, MagicFan1234 said:

I am not sure how Mark is bad since he has a winning record as head coach? There is a lot of worse head coaches than Jackson like Randy Wittman

• Upvote 2

Do we have to go through this again?

EDIT: Posted at the same time ?4thwin posted the correct answer.  Can we just sticky that list to the forum's front page?  Or start a website to inform the public?

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Not that I dont believe he would be capable of this stuff, but some of this seems over the top crazy -- like telling people Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon? Wtf. Do we have sources on this? Too funny lol.

5 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Not that I dont believe he would be capable of this stuff, but some of this seems over the top crazy -- like telling people Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon? Wtf. Do we have sources on this? Too funny lol.

Quick google search showed me that that post originated on Reddit and the guy who posted it basically said the demon thing was hearsay, once from a personal communication with an in-the-know reporter, and the other with a few more degrees of separation.

The fact that it is even a rumor makes me lol

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Quick google search showed me that that post originated on Reddit and the guy who posted it basically said the demon thing was hearsay, once from a personal communication with an in-the-know reporter, and the other with a few more degrees of separation.

The fact that it is even a rumor makes me lol

Yeah I just found that too. 

Too funny.

He would be a horrendous pick for a coach. The GSW ownership had a lot of bad things to say publicly about him.  You don't normally see ownership talk about former coaches like that. 

15 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Yeah that's the one hard to believe one. 

But Darren Erman was fired for recording him. So you gotta think there's a reason for that and he was scooped back up by Boston three weeks later and has held a job ever since without issue. So I don't know. Maybe it's a little exaggerated but there's at least something there.