Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Clifford the big magic coach

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Also, does every coaching hire need to be a former Magic player / assistant coach?

I mean when an Organization has a history of greatness you obviously want to keep those guys around amirite

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

How much of that roster was tailored to what Clifford wanted, in the same vein that we gave Frank Vogel a bunch of Cs? He is a Van Gundy disciple.

We have no idea. He could have asked for it. He could have just dealt with it. That's the entire reason why I've spent the last 7 weeks saying coaching candidate rankings are stupid and flawed because they operate with like 40% of the information

He's super well respected by coaches and media but a flawed record. So was Vogel. So was Stan Van Gundy pre-magic. Many people will say it's a great hire. Charlotte fans will have mixed reviews. He could suck or be perfect for this point in the rebuild. We have no credible way to judge it right now. 

5 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

This is a disaster. What a complete let down. 

Lol. Understand you have no real idea what you're talking about. 

6 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

I mean when an Organization has a history of greatness you obviously want to keep those guys around amirite

When we fire Clifford after 2021, do we hire Jameer, Ty Lue, or Grant Hill?

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Lol. Understand you have no real idea what you're talking about. 

Oh really?

So tell me why a guy with declining health who doesn’t have much of a track record developing young talent and who overuses vets (sound familiar?) is the right guy for this team at this stage in the rebuild? 

Sums him up in one sentence: CONSTANTLY OVERPLAYING MCW who’s trash. 

Im grabbing some pop corn I’m ready to hear this. And if you’re argument is “we have no idea what to expect” then thats just stating the obvious here. And that doesn’t somehow make this a good signing. 

He was probably the coach I’ve least wanted since he was fired from Charlotte. Not because he’s a bad coach overall but because he doesn’t fit what his team needs. 

This is an inevitable firing in 3 years 

1 minute ago, Gordon MVP said:

Oh really?

So tell me why a guy with declining health who doesn’t have much of a track record developing young talent and who overuses vets (sound familiar?) is the right guy for this team at this stage in the rebuild? 

Im grabbing some pop corn I’m ready to hear this. 

He was probably the coach I’ve least wanted since he was fired from Charlotte. 

This is an inevitable firing in 3 years 

He doesn't have declining health. It was an exhaustion issue related to showing up to work at 5am every day. 

He developed kemba pretty well. 

Does he overuse vets? Or was he given a win now mandate? People said the same thing about Carlisle in Dallas but he played dsj a ton because that was the team philosophy. 

It's understandable to hire a high floor coach who gets his teams to play with few mistakes when you have a young team that makes a ton of mistakes. 

But yes, he might not work out. But you have to trust the hiring process wasn't:

"Steve, we just drafted a developmental prospect at 6 and plan to incorporate another rookie into our plans next month. Also our offense is built around a sloppy but talented 23 year old forward. What's your plan?"

"I want to focus on vucevic post ups and Simmons isolations and build a defense based on funneling guys to vuc"

"Ok you're hired"

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

When we fire Clifford after 2021, do we hire Jameer, Ty Lue, or Grant Hill?

I do not remember Ty Lue playing for our Magic although I would not mind Jameer, he is one of my favorite players and as for Hill, I doubt he has any interest in coaching 

32 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Also, does every coaching hire need to be a former Magic player / assistant coach?

I feel the same way but at least Vogel never had any ties to Magic but it did not work out 

4 minutes ago, JamminJ21 said:

tyronn-lue-of-the-orlando-magic-moves-th

Looking at his biography, he only played for 2 years then traded for Lue back in 2009 and only played for 1 year then retired, no wonder I did not remember him playing for our Magic

Just now, MagicFan1234 said:

Looking at his biography, he only played for 2 years then traded for Lue back in 2009 and only played for 1 year then retired, no wonder I did not remember him playing for our Magic

he got a good amount of minutes on the team with tmac that ended up 21-61 and netted us the 1st pick that turned into dwight