Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Clifford the big magic coach

The Magic’s long, deliberate search for a new head coach will continue this week, as the team is set to interview former Hornets coach Steve Clifford, league sources tell Marc Stein of The New York Times (Twitter link).

Clifford, who was let go by Charlotte at season’s end, expressed a desire to coach again next season and interviewed for the Suns’ and Bucks’ jobs before they hired Igor Kokoskov and Mike Budenholzer, respectively. Before leading the Hornets to a 196-214 (.478) record over five seasons, Clifford held a number of NBA assistant jobs, including one in Orlando from 2007 to 2012.

Although the Magic’s head coaching search has already lasted nearly a month and a half, Clifford is only the third candidate confirmed to have interviewed with the club. Orlando has been mum on its search for Frank Vogel‘s replacement, with Trail Blazers assistant David Vanterpool and Spurs assistant Ime Udoka representing the only interviewees whose names had surfaced before today.

Still, it’s possible that the Magic have spoken or met with more candidates. University of Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson has been repeatedly cited as a contender for the position, but it’s not clear if he has formally interviewed with the franchise.

The Magic are one of three NBA teams still on the lookout for a new head coach, joining the Raptors and Pistons. We’re tracking the latest updates on those coaching searches right here.

18 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Ya know why I think it's taking this long? Because the guy we really wanted got hired by another team.

7 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Ya know why I think it's taking this long? Because the guy we really wanted got hired by another team.

Or maybe there is really no rush and our management is being meticulous in their search and determined to get us a GREAT coach for a change? 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, 0rland0fan said:

I'm hoping this is some "throw **** against the wall and hope it sticks" type rumour. I want no part of Izzo. He's 63, never coached professionally and he allegedly has been privy to several sexual assault coverups which, while non basketball related, certainly affect my opinion of him.

EDIT: Plus I don't think there's a chance he'd leave MSU.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

This or the guy we wanted didn't want the job. Kind of laughable either way though. 

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

he allegedly has been privy to several sexual assault coverups which, while non basketball related, certainly affect my opinion of him.

EDIT: Plus I don't think there's a chance he'd leave MSU.

On the contrary, I think the sexual scandals are the exact reason he would consider leaving MSU.  If/when the hammer comes down on that whole situation, the "death penalty" for that program is not out of the question. 

Honestly, this rumor scares me because I think he WOULD leave MSU right now and I agree with the other characterizations of him you made.  I find it incredibly unlikely that he didn't know about the rampant sexual assault allegations, and having that associated with our team would be disgusting if proven and nauseating even if unproven.

We cut Payne immediately after the OTL report was aired.  The hypocrisy of hiring Izzo after that would be sky high.

• Upvote 1