Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

Clifford the big magic coach

On 6/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, MagicFan1234 said:

I rather trade both

A very pleasant  package,  knowing we would not get equal value in return......I am still on board with that concept.

11 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

The problem you run into is the injury bug. If we're hit with that again, you're really in trouble. I think it would be smarter to do a total reset. 

Trade Vuc, Fournier, Ross, Mack... and if at all possible Biz, for as many pieces and draft picks as possible. Then you go after maybe one key FA (I'm on the Rodney Hood train) and draft our PG (most want Young, I'll take Sexton/SGA). Slide Isaac into the versatile 5 spot, Gordon plays the 4, Hood at the 3, Simmons at the 2, Rookie at the PG. That's enough to be at least respectable this season.

Also Mario is a free agent, so we'd have to resign him, but I'm not sure he entirely enjoyed his time in Orlando, I don't expect him to resign. And you forgot Iwundu. 

PG-Rookie/DJ/Mack

SG-Fournier/Simmons/Iwundu/Rookie

SF-Ross/Rookie

PF-Gordon/Isaac

C-Vuc/Biz/Birch

That's who we have on the roster next year (I'm assuming we resign AG). That's why I say we trade Fournier/Ross/Vuc/Mack...if we could somehow package two of these guys for a draft pick and a reasonable player, and maybe a 2019 draft pick and an expiring vet...I'd be really happy. Then you throw the MLE at a free agent or two if you find the money and the right length of contract.

I'm okay with another year at the bottom of the East (ideally, I want to fight for a playoff spot but thats not realistic right now) as long as in the 2018-2019 season we are establishing a culture in Orlando and are no longer seen as a joke in the league. That's my #1 goal for this season. 

Here’s a thought. If Bamba is available, take him and perhaps now that Clifford is aboard we may have a shot at Kemba Walker. He’s unrestricted in 2019. Some of these positions like Bamba will shift a bit in depth ranking, but you get the general idea. This front line is imposing. Defense looks strong and hopeful to make offensive gains. That’s 13, then maybe add 2 - 3 and D players. Thoughts?

Walker/DJ/rookie with length and defense

Ross/Simmons -I hear Ross is looking good, working hard because of contract year/Iwandu

Issac/EF if not traded/Iwandu

Gordon/Issac/rookie

Burch/Bamba - unless Biz shows more - I expect we shop Vuch hard

seems like both are from Hornets staff.

140618_hetzel_inside.jpg?itok=A0abz9y_June 18, 2014 – Charlotte Hornets General Manager Rich Cho announced today that the team has added Steve Hetzel as an assistant coach on the staff of Head Coach Steve Clifford. 

Hetzel joins the Hornets after spending last season as head coach of the Canton Charge in the NBA D-League.  Under Hetzel’s leadership, the Charge posted a 28-22 record, finishing second in the East Division and earning the seventh seed in the D-League playoffs.

Before moving to Canton, Hetzel spent four seasons with the Detroit Pistons as player development coach, where he was responsible for identifying the strengths and weaknesses of individual players and assisting with their growth throughout the season.  Prior to joining the Pistons, Hetzel served as video coordinator for the Cleveland Cavaliers from 2006-09.  He got his start in the NBA as assistant video coordinator with the San Antonio Spurs in 2005-06.

140709_delany_inside.jpg?itok=EeXyYEA8Charlotte Hornets General Manager Rich Cho announced today that the team has added Pat Delany as an assistant coach on the staff of Head Coach Steve Clifford. 

Delany joins the Hornets after spending last season as head coach of the Sioux Falls Skyforce, the NBA D-League affiliate of the Miami Heat.  In his first head coaching job, Delany led the team to a 31-19 record, which was tied for the second-best record in the D-League.  The .620 winning percentage was the fifth-best in the franchise’s 25-year history and the second-best in its eight seasons in the D-League. 

Prior to being named head coach of the Skyforce, Delany served as the Heat’s advance scout for six seasons from 2007-13. He also served as the team’s video coordinator for four seasons from 2003-07 following one season as a video intern.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, ?4thewin said:

Why trade Ross and then go after hood, a much worse Ross?

We don't need to load up with draft picks. Take Gordon, Isaac, 6, and a couple development guys with our seconds this year and then fill the gaps with vets that fit our style. 

I just think you and I disagree on Hood. I see Ross as a declining player and Hood who is stuck on a roster with an incompetent coach. I think they are similar players, but I don't think Ross will ever rise to a level where he would be a starter in this league. I think Hood just needs the opportunity and confidence. We saw that in Utah, he hasn't had that opportunity in Cleveland. 

On 6/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, Magicpassion said:

Here’s a thought. If Bamba is available, take him and perhaps now that Clifford is aboard we may have a shot at Kemba Walker. He’s unrestricted in 2019. Some of these positions like Bamba will shift a bit in depth ranking, but you get the general idea. This front line is imposing. Defense looks strong and hopeful to make offensive gains. That’s 13, then maybe add 2 - 3 and D players. Thoughts?

Walker/DJ/rookie with length and defense

Ross/Simmons -I hear Ross is looking good, working hard because of contract year/Iwandu

Issac/EF if not traded/Iwandu

Gordon/Issac/rookie

Burch/Bamba - unless Biz shows more - I expect we shop Vuch hard

I'm worried Bamba is another Greg Oden. I think he's a guy who looks good with potential but in an NBA that is getting smaller, faster, and shooting from further away...I just don't think Bamba fits that style of ball. Isaac does, AG does, Vuc does not (shot is there but not fast, liable on defense), Biz does not. I would much rather go after Bridges than Bamba.

I also don't think Kemba would come here. I'd love it personally because I think he can be that fire competitor that our team culture needs, but I think if Kemba leaves Charlotte, he's going to someone he believes to be a contender (would Kemba in Cleveland make Lebron stay?). He won't leave one struggling team in the East for another team (that finished worse than them) in the East. 

15 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I'm worried Bamba is another Greg Oden. I think he's a guy who looks good with potential but in an NBA that is getting smaller, faster, and shooting from further away...I just don't think Bamba fits that style of ball. Isaac does, AG does, Vuc does not (shot is there but not fast, liable on defense), Biz does not. I would much rather go after Bridges than Bamba.

I also don't think Kemba would come here. I'd love it personally because I think he can be that fire competitor that our team culture needs, but I think if Kemba leaves Charlotte, he's going to someone he believes to be a contender (would Kemba in Cleveland make Lebron stay?). He won't leave one struggling team in the East for another team (that finished worse than them) in the East. 

You think Bamba is an incredibly injury prone talented big man with different length legs?

On 6/5/2018 at 5:26 PM, TrueBlueDrew said:

I just think you and I disagree on Hood. I see Ross as a declining player and Hood who is stuck on a roster with an incompetent coach. I think they are similar players, but I don't think Ross will ever rise to a level where he would be a starter in this league. I think Hood just needs the opportunity and confidence. We saw that in Utah, he hasn't had that opportunity in Cleveland. 

There’s a real chance that Hood’s half year in Cleveland has done some permanent damage to his game.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:31 PM, TrueBlueDrew said:

Bamba and Oden have almost nothing in common. Also, Oden didn’t fail in the nba because the game changed, he failed because the extreme injury concerns (which Bamba doesn’t have) came to fruition.

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

There’s a real chance that Hood’s half year in Cleveland has done some permanent damage to his game.

Watching the game now...I hold to what I believe...Hood just needs the minutes. Coach didn’t know what he was doing, till the media started saying “Bench JR and play Hood” and now Lue looks like a genius when he got the idea from Stephen A Smith

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Bamba and Oden have almost nothing in common. Also, Oden didn’t fail in the nba because the game changed, he failed because the extreme injury concerns (which Bamba doesn’t have) came to fruition.

Yeah there hasn’t been a history of injury but the body type is slender. I have the same concerns with Isaac honestly. I would feel better about Bamba than Young though