Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Magic @ Utah

And for those who are curious, Gordon has an Offensive Rating of 108.8 and a Defensive Rating of 104 since we traded EP.

49 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I totally agree that Gordon has been wildly inconsistent. However, Dipo at the same age, was also a hot mess on offense. He couldn’t consistently shoot, finish or manage his turnovers. Let’s not try to spin it some other way.

Gordon is 22 years old and averaging 18/8/2 while shooting 50 2P% and 34 3P%. At the same age, Dipo was averaging 18/4/4 while shooting 46 2P% and 34 3P%. Considering how raw Gordon was when he came into the league, and considering how dysfunctional our coaching and roster has been, I’m encouraged by the guy’s progress. 

Go deeper than just the superficial stats.

Dipo shooting showed signs but he never was meant to be a JJ Redick. He's a Wade like player that can get hot. He couldn't finish because he needed to get stronger and his TO's was a result of playing PG. 

Dipo's issues were nothing like AG's. Dipo had natural abilities that just needed refining. His body needed to gain strength. AG is playing unnaturally because he thinks that's what's going to make him be a superstar and is going away from what would probably would make him an all star consecutively the same way Marion was an all star.

Two totally different issues here.

Dipo was initially put into a role he was uncomfortable with (PG) and made a lot of mistakes which seemed to have served him well in his development.  He now looks quite good creating and facilitating for the Pacers when asked to do so.

Gordon currently often finds himself in a role he may be uncomfortable with (playmaker/creator) and is making mistakes which may serve him well in his development.  He has already shown significant improvement in his shooting ability while in the league.  Why wouldn't we want to give him the opportunity to do the same with another skillset when the team is already bad?

I think the issue would be if Gordon is frequently calling his own number outside of the designed offense, which honestly could be what is happening to some degree.  It's different if it's "hey Aaron, we're gonna give you some freedom and let you try to be creative" vs. "hey Aaron, stick to the plays! that was supposed to be a simple dribble handoff and you called for a clearout".

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Dipo shooting showed signs but he never was meant to be a JJ Redick. He's a Wade like player that can get hot. He couldn't finish because he needed to get stronger and his TO's was a result of playing PG. 

Dipo's issues were nothing like AG. Dipo had natural abilities that just needed refining. His body needed to gain strength. AG is playing unnaturally because he thinks that's what's going to make him be a superstar and is going away from what would probably would make him an all star consecutively the same way Marion was an all star.

If we use bad shooting games as a benchmark for bad games, or forcing things, Oladipo had around just as many in his 3rd and 4th year as Gordon has had in the past two years.

Using 35% FG% as a "bad shooting night Oladipo had 34/139 games which could be considered bad shooting nights, or 24.5% of his games. Gordon has had 31/126 bad shooting nights, or 24.6%. (Not saying Gordon is definitely breaking out next year, just using Oladipo as an example).

I think you are projecting a lot on Gordon. In this last game, almost no one played well. It is easy to say in hindsight that Oladipo had "natural abilities" that just needed refining, but that certainly wasn't the way he was really seen until this current season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skip to my Jameer 114 said:

Without that year in OKC with Westbrook, Victor is nowhere near the player he is now.

I disagree with this. There is no way to tell.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

Dipo's issues were nothing like AG's. Dipo had natural abilities that just needed refining. His body needed to gain strength. AG is playing unnaturally because he thinks that's what's going to make him be a superstar and is going away from what would probably would make him an all star consecutively the same way Marion was an all star.

I think you underestimate the growth potential

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

You say not to look at superficial stats but then you make this superficial statement. What you’re saying is completely subjective. Dipo was clumsy as heck his first couple of years in the league and the stats back it up. Even his offensive and defensive stats were a mess. I think Gordon has flashed every bit as much as Dipo and displays every bit the “natural” abilities at the same age. Gordon needs to grow in a ton of areas but his ceiling is still sky high. We have no idea what kind of player he’s going to become. 

18 minutes ago, Skip to my Jameer 114 said:

Without that year in OKC with Westbrook, Victor is nowhere near the player he is now.

Bull****. I called it years ago.

16 minutes ago, Odin said:

If we use bad shooting games as a benchmark for bad games, or forcing things, Oladipo had around just as many in his 3rd and 4th year as Gordon has had in the past two years.

Using 35% FG% as a "bad shooting night Oladipo had 34/139 games which could be considered bad shooting nights, or 24.5% of his games. Gordon has had 31/126 bad shooting nights, or 24.6%. (Not saying Gordon is definitely breaking out next year, just using Oladipo as an example).

I think you are projecting a lot on Gordon. In this last game, almost no one played well. It is easy to say in hindsight that Oladipo had "natural abilities" that just needed refining, but that certainly wasn't the way he was really seen until this current season.

That's because your eyes aren't as good as mine. Seriously...Sometimes the eye test says a lot. Dipo is a lot natural with ball overall than AG.

I remember being in the minority with Dipo and Mario and what I think they could be become.