Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

Hornets @ Magic 2NIGHT

I literally can’t even watch the games anyone knowing Mario is gone. Not trying to be dramatic but in my gut it’s the most disappointed I’ve ever been as a magic fan.

I keep telling myself to just get over it but I can’t.

This is the guy the majority of us loved pre-draft and were ecstatic when we got him. It took over 2 years but to finally see him showing why we loved him to begin with and knowing he’s just auditioning for a new team—it’s sickening to me.  I actually get an empty feeling In my stomach from it. 

The new front office will have to do so so much for me to ever get over them looking past Mario over a dumb 5mil option. It’s beyond unsettling and we as Magic fans for what we’ve had to endure don’t deserve to lose Mario. It’s a shame that’s exsctly what’s going to happen (barring a miracle). 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I literally can’t even watch the games anyone knowing Mario is gone. Not trying to be dramatic but in my gut it’s the most disappointed I’ve ever been as a magic fan.

This is the guy the majority of us loved pre-draft and were ecstatic when we got him. It took over 2 years but to finally see him showing why we loved him to begin with and knowing he’s just auditioning for a new team—it’s sickening to me.  I actually get an empty feeling In my stomach from it. 

The new front office will have to do so so much for me to ever get over them looking past Mario over a dumb 5mil option. It’s beyond unsettling and we as Magic fans for what we’ve had to endure don’t deserve to lose Mario. It’s a shame that’s exsctly what’s going to happen (barring a miracle). 

Yes, it was a dumb move in hindsight but Mario had not shown an ability to consistently deliver offensively and defensively every night. His camp wants him to get more playing time which he is getting plenty off now. So I would not be surprised if he stays albeit on a more expensive contract. I am more interested in seeing what happens to his production when Gordon and Vuc are back.

57 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I agree man it sucks we don’t deserve this torture we definitely need a miracle hopefully he shows us mercy

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

I feel a bit the same way.

Also, in hindsight not picking up his option is dumb, but these guys are smart guys.

There would have been a level of justification in making the decision.

I gather it was to get cap room to sign our RFA's. At the time maybe they thought resigning a break out Payton as our starting PG was the more likely outcome than Mario actually showing he was worthy of a spot on an NBA team.

What I'd like to know, but probably never find out, is how legit was Mario's leg injury last year, were the front office fully aware of it and did they believe the seriousness of it?

If it really was as bad as he is saying, then last year is a wash and not picking up his option was nuts.

Having said all that I think we are in with a rough chance of signing him to a 1 & 1 (player option) contract given (as per an article I referenced last week sometime);

• 12 teams are projected to be in luxury tax
  • 5 are toying with the tax line
  • at least 3 of the bottom teams are tipped to give this free agency season a miss.
  • There would be a handful of free agents that might be preferred over Mario (unrestricted & restricted on teams under salary pressure)

There aren't going to be many teams offering much more that the tax payers MLE of $5.8m? We can offer $5.2m so the gap isn't massive.

I think this is the list of wings who will be competing with Mario for contracts bigger than what we can already offer him:

Tyreke Evens

Avery Bradley

Will Barton

JJ Redick

KCP

Wes Matthews

Danny Green

Rodney Hood (R)

Trevor Ariza

Kyle Anderson (R)

Rudy Gay

Most of these guys are situational, whether they'd go to a contender or a building team. The teams with real big money likely aren't throwing anything substantial at a vet, considering the teams with money mostly are rebuilding. So who's likely to throw a contract at Mario? Who has money? The Bulls, Hawks, and Mavericks probably have the most money, except the Lakers, who won't tie up any money long term they don't have to on anyone but a star, I'd think. Maybe the Kings? The Jazz will go after a more established player. I can't see Phoenix going after him, not when they're already developing at least 3 wings under 25. If the Clippers renounce everyone and commit to rebuild, I could see them making a play. Danilo would be a good mentor for him. I don't think the Knicks will go after him (pretty sure he'd eat up all the cap room they have), but I suppose they might. New Jersey is a solid possibility, I guess. He fits their build (grab young cast-offs for cheap and give them a shot); but how much money do they have left after taking on all those contracts last year? Will anyone else have any money? The Pacers (I think that might literally break me, to watch Oladipo, Mario, and Turner play well elsewhere)?

22 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Mario's got the moves like Jagger. That fake and layup + that alley-finger-roll were amazing

The kids got talent. And now is showing maturity. Too bad mngt couldn’t see it. Like ”him” I have lost faith in them. 

Beating a dead horse but the guy's resurrection has been insane.

The best sequence I've seen from him thus far was early in the 3rd quarter he got separation from his defender with a quick behind the back dribble, then let defender fly by him with a nice pump fake, kicked out to DJ for a wide open 3.  Next play got into the lane, assessed defense, used his eyes to move defenders, no-look dish to Biz wide open under the hoop for a dunk.

Don't know if it's just confidence or established role or knowing he can't get benched due to depth or all of the above, but he didn't have that situational awareness a couple months ago.  Now he belongs.

• Like 1