Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

The Elfrid Payton Appreciation Thread

On 2/18/2018 at 3:58 PM, ?4thewin said:

Who was going to offer more? I think everyone knows who Payton is by now

And we also know who Augustin is—not the long-term solution. I just don’t recall a near 15-5-5 guy being traded for second round picks. He could have been used to sweeten any other potential trades we could have been explored. The point I am making is that getting nothing in return could have waited until the offseason when teams are more willing to trade.

1 minute ago, brownmagic86 said:

And we also know who Augustin is—not the long-term solution. I just don’t recall a near 15-5-5 guy being traded for second round picks. He could have been used to sweeten any other potential trades we could have been explored. The point I am making is that getting nothing in return could have waited until the offseason when teams are more willing to trade.

No we couldn't.  He was a free agent.  

6 hours ago, brownmagic86 said:

I thought he was a restricted free agent.

Yes.  Meaning if someone offers him a contract we have to match or lose him for nothing. If you match you can't trade him to that team for a year.  

Also i just found out if you match a restricted free agent he gets a no trade clause for a year.  

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes.  Meaning if someone offers him a contract we have to match or lose him for nothing. If you match you can't trade him to that team for a year.  

Also i just found out if you match a restricted free agent he gets a no trade clause for a year.  

What about the sign and trade option? Is there any trade limitation or clause when you sign a restricted free agent?

44 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

What about the sign and trade option? Is there any trade limitation or clause when you sign a restricted free agent?

You can do a sign and trade but why wouldn't a team sign him and then dare us to match considering the front office has been shopping him continuously? 

Also a typical return in this process is a second round pick so best case scenario we'd be trading him for a 2019 second and theres got to be some present day value differences between the value of a 2019 pick today vs a 2018 pick today.  

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You can do a sign and trade but why wouldn't a team sign him and then dare us to match considering the front office has been shopping him continuously? 

Also a typical return in this process is a second round pick so best case scenario we'd be trading him for a 2019 second and theres got to be some present day value differences between the value of a 2019 pick today vs a 2018 pick today.  

I was more thinking of the possibilities with Gordon. If we get into a position that a team will call our front office telling them about their intention to sign Gordon to a max deal contract but dont want the organization to hold on their desicion to wether they will match or not for most of the early free agency period. Maybe the Magic can negotiate a sign and trade scenario for something valuable back as a courtesy and respect if they are not intended to match.

not that I am in favor of that option.