Jump to content
Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

Murphy13    159
1 hour ago, WarDamnMagic said:

For real we’ve been needing a player that’s confident in shooting and can put up 20+ points a game for sometime now. I think we can get that plus an elite distributor with great basketball iq in Trae Young.

I like Trae too.  He seems to be a good distributor.  He's a confident shooter, although not a great one from behind the arc.  I honestly don't see 'great bball iq' but that's also something that evolves with time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WarDamnMagic    29
26 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I like Trae too.  He seems to be a good distributor.  He's a confident shooter, although not a great one from behind the arc.  I honestly don't see 'great bball iq' but that's also something that evolves with time.  

Basketball IQ to me is kind of hard to access from a viewers standpoint. Especially his since he’s essentially the only competent player on his team. I feel like coaches and trainers can get a much better scope of IQ. But something I noticed from watching his games is that every time you watch him the commentators and coaches rave about his basketball iq and character. And almost every article I read about the kid talks about it as a big strength of his. So to me it’s gotta be there 

 

Awesome Trae article if you’re interested. Made me love him even more

http://mag.bleacherreport.com/trae-young-oklahoma-interview-2018-the-come-up/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

 that's not how teams work. There's too many variables that nobody plans that far ahead with prospects unless we're talking about Lebron. 

Also young wasn't on anyone's mind in June.  He wasn't a top 20 recruit.  

DSJ was a better prospect than sexton in  June and DSJ is a better prospect than sexton today. DSJ was more of a projectable shooter and has more elite athleticism.  

I really like sexton for his attitude and defensive potential but its very likely he's something like pre-injury Reggie Jackson or terry rozier or better jerian grant.  

So remind me again why we didn't draft DSJ last year then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diplo    8
On February 10, 2018 at 12:21 AM, ?4thewin said:

Jackson is 6'11 with a 7'4 reach and is a fantastic rim protector and interior defender. Center. 

Bagley is 6'11 whose best qualities are his interior finishing and great rebounding.  He should thrive as a rim runner. You want to give him room to work on the interior.  That's a center

I'm not sure Bagley is a full-time C. JJJ looks like he can play center but than again Porzingis is playing PF.

But I really want to know if this is your criteria for why these players are centers. What makes you think Isaac is a 3?? Not trying to knock it but I was always against drafting Isaac because I thought he and Gordon would be best at PF and I've seen nothing from him this year that suggests he's a 3 either. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,723
6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

So remind me again why we didn't draft DSJ last year then?

Because we thought isaac had the higher ceiling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike1989    53
3 hours ago, Diplo said:

I'm not sure Bagley is a full-time C. JJJ looks like he can play center but than again Porzingis is playing PF.

But I really want to know if this is your criteria for why these players are centers. What makes you think Isaac is a 3?? Not trying to knock it but I was always against drafting Isaac because I thought he and Gordon would be best at PF and I've seen nothing from him this year that suggests he's a 3 either. 

 

 

In today's NBA Bagley might be able to play as a full time C since a lot of teams are moving away from traditional centers and want them to do more than collect rebounds and block shots. I'm not convinced that playing center will be his best position but it wouldn't surprise me in today's NBA.

As for Porzingis, he's been playing center because that's been viewed as his best position and it's where he wants to play. It has been suggested in previous seasons that they should move him to center but have kept him at power forward. When he comes back from this injury he might end up moving to center according to some of their fans to take pressure off him, but there are parts of his game that fit playing center (shot blocking) and other parts that he doesn't do as well as some centers (rebounding), so it is debatable what position will suit him best.

Regarding Isaac, I think those that want him to play 3 feel that way potentially because they want to keep Gordon and his best position is the 4. Gordon is not really a 5, nor is Isaac. So to retain them both means they manning the forward spots otherwise it means off the bench for one of them, or letting one of them go. I do agree that he looks more like a 4 than a 3, and that's one of the reasons I wanted us to look elsewhere in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,723
3 hours ago, Diplo said:

I'm not sure Bagley is a full-time C. JJJ looks like he can play center but than again Porzingis is playing PF.

But I really want to know if this is your criteria for why these players are centers. What makes you think Isaac is a 3?? Not trying to knock it but I was always against drafting Isaac because I thought he and Gordon would be best at PF and I've seen nothing from him this year that suggests he's a 3 either. 

 

 

Most people think porzingis is a center but he doesn't want to play center.  

 

I imagine a world with Bagley playing next to vucevic and/or biyombo and i see the problem it entails.  You want Bagley running at the rim after a pick and roll and catching lobs or a pocket pass and using his superior interior finishing.  And you want him closer to the rim for rebounding purposes.  That's more difficult with a traditional center on the court. Sam vecenie and Cole Zwicker recently had a podcast where they ran through a mock draft.  They started Bagley's section with "he has everything you'd want from a modern day center except rim protection but that might develop later"

Isaac is a 3, 4, 5 who can't really play 5 yet because he's slight. You can play him at 3 because he moves like a taller Jonathan Simmons.  

Gordon is a 3,4. He'd look better at 3 this year vs last year as he's cleared up a lot of the issues that we saw last year (though they creep up from time to time like holding the ball and over dribbling). But right now when he's on he scores in catch and shoot settings, one dribble pull up midrange, drives to the rim, taking smaller defenders and bullying him into the post.  

But basically positioning is mostly pointless.  You want to pair Isaac, Gordon, and a guy like Bagley (though I'm iffy on rim protection), jjj, or ayton (or even really birch) because they can be interchangeable on defense and pick up defenders in transition or switch onto smaller players and keep up with foot speed.  And on offense you want to play isaac and Gordon together because it takes other teams out of their comfort zone.  If you defend Isaac with a 3 and Gordon with a 4 you'll have Isaac shooting over smaller defenders and Gordon  driving past slower ones.  If they switch ideally you'd have Isaac driving past slower defenders and Gordon bullying smaller guys to the rim. If they go small you have an exploitable size difference.  If they go big you're getting them to play a lineup they're not comfortable with and one that typically isn't great with spacing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicman28    247
2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Most people think porzingis is a center but he doesn't want to play center.  

 

I imagine a world with Bagley playing next to vucevic and/or biyombo and i see the problem it entails.  You want Bagley running at the rim after a pick and roll and catching lobs or a pocket pass and using his superior interior finishing.  And you want him closer to the rim for rebounding purposes.  That's more difficult with a traditional center on the court. Sam vecenie and Cole Zwicker recently had a podcast where they ran through a mock draft.  They started Bagley's section with "he has everything you'd want from a modern day center except rim protection but that might develop later"

Isaac is a 3, 4, 5 who can't really play 5 yet because he's slight. You can play him at 3 because he moves like a taller Jonathan Simmons.  

Gordon is a 3,4. He'd look better at 3 this year vs last year as he's cleared up a lot of the issues that we saw last year (though they creep up from time to time like holding the ball and over dribbling). But right now when he's on he scores in catch and shoot settings, one dribble pull up midrange, drives to the rim, taking smaller defenders and bullying him into the post.  

But basically positioning is mostly pointless.  You want to pair Isaac, Gordon, and a guy like Bagley (though I'm iffy on rim protection), jjj, or ayton (or even really birch) because they can be interchangeable on defense and pick up defenders in transition or switch onto smaller players and keep up with foot speed.  And on offense you want to play isaac and Gordon together because it takes other teams out of their comfort zone.  If you defend Isaac with a 3 and Gordon with a 4 you'll have Isaac shooting over smaller defenders and Gordon  driving past slower ones.  If they switch ideally you'd have Isaac driving past slower defenders and Gordon bullying smaller guys to the rim. If they go small you have an exploitable size difference.  If they go big you're getting them to play a lineup they're not comfortable with and one that typically isn't great with spacing.  

Yeah just love to see a facilitator who can get the team and himself shots in that mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×