Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

11 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Ok so at the moment he's 3 percentage points from the field and 2 percentage points from the 3 away from a championship all star PG.

The difference between three point shooting between the magic and golden state this year is 3.9%

46 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And that's ultimately the problem.  Fans keep saying "Chris Paul! Steph Curry!" You're using hall of fame level players. Outlier level careers. 

Chris Paul was a 47/47/84 shooter in college

Curry was a 47/41/88 shooter in college

Buddy hield was a 50/46/88 shooter his senior year.  

Trae is a 44/39/84 shooter and that's trending down to 42/36/84 in conference

Side note maybe the kings owner was looking at those stats when he thought he traded cousins for “the next Steph curry” in Hield lol

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The difference between three point shooting between the magic and golden state this year is 3.9%

He's a freshman. Let's see how every finishes. How he adjusts. Some of it is on the coach too. Coach has to adjust. Plus, he's not playing with 3 all stars.

8 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

He's a freshman. Let's see how every finishes. How he adjusts. Some of it is on the coach too. Coach has to adjust. Plus, he's not playing with 3 all stars.

I'd just feel better if he was more efficient. The 41.7% in conference shooting freaks me out and i feel like the almost 7 turnovers per game in conference is the canary in the coal mine for a stat translation issue going from college to the nba. 

Im just guessing here.  I don't know what I'm talking about.  Maybe he's fine.  That Kansas game was nice.  Have him do that against Kansas again  and a tournament team and I'd feel better.  

36 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

at a much higher attempts per game rate I'm certain 

1 hour ago, Odin said:

So, as a non college hoops guy, I think a good way to talk about these things is to talk about the scope of a player's potential. Most players never reach the upper bounds of what they are projected as possibly being in the league, so looking at any one player and saying that drafting the player will give us a player in the caliber of Chris Paul or Steph Curry is setting yourself up for disappointment.

(Projections are also sometimes wrong in the opposite way, A la completely missing on the top level potential of later picks.)

That isn't to say that he doesn't have star potential, but proclaiming any player to be an outlier player in the NBA prior to the player actually playing in the NBA is not much more than wishful thinking. Step back from the hyperbole and take a nuanced look at the player. What are issues that the player might face in the NBA? What weaknesses does the current player have? What is the potential upside, and how difficult will it be to overcome these hurdles?

Trae Young don't care about all that man he's just gonna go get buckets and drop DIMES!

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

He's not Westbrook.  Westbrook is an outlier level athlete.  

Young is Steve Nash if Steve Nash was doing a "last game of his career kobe" impression

I never said he is anything like westbrook. He is not. Not sure were you got that. I was just referring to the fact that people here likes to bring negative opinions on a player without looking at the obvious potential. It happens a lot in the NBA. 

I dont think I can compare Young talent to any other player, to be honest. He is on his won there. Reason why he is so intriguing and very well needed in our organization. I Dont see the Nash comparison at all but if he is anything close to be a Nash like player then I honestly dont understand why you are so against him.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I'd just feel better if he was more efficient. The 41.7% in conference shooting freaks me out and i feel like the almost 7 turnovers per game in conference is the canary in the coal mine for a stat translation issue going from college to the nba. 

Im just guessing here.  I don't know what I'm talking about.  Maybe he's fine.  That Kansas game was nice.  Have him do that against Kansas again  and a tournament team and I'd feel better.  

No I get it. Teams adjusted to him so now him AND his coach have to readjust. 

I don't really want him to blow it up too much because I'm afraid he won't be there when we're picking.

And that's ultimately the problem.  Fans keep saying "Chris Paul! Steph Curry!" You're using hall of fame level players. Outlier level careers. 

Chris Paul was a 47/47/84 shooter in college

Curry was a 47/41/88 shooter in college

Buddy hield was a 50/46/88 shooter his senior year.  

Trae is a 44/39/84 shooter and that's trending down to 42/36/84 in conference

Maybe Lebron knows something you dont. 

LeBron on Trae Young: 'He better go pro.'

LeBron James playfully comments on the biggest adjustment Young will have to make going from collegiate to professional basketball.

The efficiency and percentages drop as usage increases. It’s true for Trae and it was true for Curry. It will be key for Trae to find that balance in the pros to reach Curry-level impact. But his usage won’t be that high on a team full of NBA players. The turnovers are a reflection of trying to do too much more than an inability to pass well.

And we cant discount that he’s doing this as a freshman. 

• Upvote 1