Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

57 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I agree, sans Payton I wouldn't mind running this team back with our high lottery pick, hopefully Young

We need to fill gaps with equal players that fit better.  Replacing Fournier with a comparable player to Fournier that is more athletic and long would probably make us better.  Replacing Payton with a guy with maybe less upside that can defend and shoot would make us better.  Replacing afflalo with another iwundu would make us better.  

We're not one piece away but we're not crazy far away.  Ross and Isaac healthy.  A couple more multipositional defenders especially at the pg spot and we're a solid team.  The problem is multipositional defenders aren't readily available

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

We need to fill gaps with equal players that fit better.  Replacing Fournier with a comparable player to Fournier that is more athletic and long would probably make us better.  Replacing Payton with a guy with maybe less upside that can defend and shoot would make us better.  Replacing afflalo with another iwundu would make us better.  

We're not one piece away but we're not crazy far away.  Ross and Isaac healthy.  A couple more multipositional defenders especially at the pg spot and we're a solid team.  The problem is multipositional defenders aren't readily available

I’m not disagreeing with this—but is “solid” really what we’re going for? Even if we do become solid, there’s nothing on that hypothetical roster that remtolely puts us in title contention or even a threat in the east. That’s like a 4th seed at best roster. 

17 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’m not disagreeing with this—but is “solid” really what we’re going for? Even if we do become solid, there’s nothing on that hypothetical roster that remtolely puts us in title contention or even a threat in the east. That’s like a 4th seed at best roster. 

That’s the way to go if you’re confident we could acquire a star in free agency.  It’s a safer approach than the tanking method. A solid 4 seed team in fla can probably get the star acquisition

22 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Unless a LeBron falls in your lap thats how you build a team. GS got incrementally better. Boston got incrementally better. Houston found a talented 6th man in James Harden and built a system around him. Toronto had the 4th best record in the league by growing organically and sticking to their plan.

You just cant mortgage your future to try and be solid because you are going to get fired like Hennigan did in '16. 

10 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

That’s the way to go if you’re confident we could acquire a star in free agency.  It’s a safer approach than the tanking method. A solid 4 seed team in fla can probably get the star acquisition

Yea that’s true. I guess with our payroll already what it is it’s hard to imagine clearing funds for another max. 

15 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I don't think this franchise has the stomach for the process which entails not just bottoming out this year but perpetually until you find that franchise guy.  

If you aren't going to do that you need to build a roster to attract free agents or bide enough time to accumulate solid assets while being ok to make a move for the next franchise guy (and have a good enough team to keep him). 

A couple years ago we were there.  A mediocre team with enough interesting depth to jump in on one of these star trades.  The problem was we were always able to be outbid by Boston.  

Going forward there is no Boston on the hill with a variety of other teams' picks flirting with every single guy who enters the trade market.  Maybe we just try to win while maximizing the moves we do make without rushing just to get the stink off our franchise.  

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Yea that’s true. I guess with our payroll already what it is it’s hard to imagine clearing funds for another max. 

July 2019 if we don't do anything stupid like give replacement level players mid level money we'll have max space even accounting for a Gordon max and a number one overall pick salary.  

10 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

July 2019 if we don't do anything stupid like give replacement level players mid level money we'll have max space even accounting for a Gordon max and a number one overall pick salary.  

We have 55 million in commitments for the summer of 2019, 53 if we don’t pick up Iwundu.  Add a top draft pick this year and another next year (counts before free agency 2019) and AG’s hypothetical max we’ll have between 10-15 million available to sign another player assuming the cap is 105million or less.  We’d only have 8 players under contract counting AG and two new draft picks.  We’d need to trade Fournier just to have enough  to theoretically sign a max player and we’d have to trade biyombo/ hope he doesn’t pick up option just to have enough money to fill to the minimum roster requirements. It’s possible but without more creativity than we’ve had in a long time I just don’t see that happening in the scale you speak of.  2020 is more realistic, but the league will look different by then so who knows 

1 minute ago, Murphy13 said:

We have 55 million in commitments for the summer of 2019, 53 if we don’t pick up Iwundu.  Add a top draft pick this year and another next year (counts before free agency 2019) and AG’s hypothetical max we’ll have between 10-15 million available to sign another player assuming the cap is 105million or less.  We’d only have 8 players under contract counting AG and two new draft picks.  We’d need to trade Fournier just to have enough  to theoretically sign a max player and we’d have to trade biyombo/ hope he doesn’t pick up option just to have enough money to fill to the minimum roster requirements. It’s possible but without more creativity than we’ve had in a long time I just don’t see that happening in the scale you speak of.  2020 is more realistic, but the league will look different by then so who knows 

If we stretch biyombo it lowers his salary to 5.67 million that year.  

Gordon's max that year is 27.82 million ish. 

Basically we'd be around something like 76 million in committed salary with Gordon Isaac iwundu Fournier augustin draft pick biyombos stretched salary Simmons' 1 million salary guarantee and roster spot cap holds.  

7 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

If we stretch biyombo it lowers his salary to 5.67 million that year.  

Gordon's max that year is 27.82 million ish. 

Basically we'd be around something like 76 million in committed salary with Gordon Isaac iwundu Fournier augustin draft pick biyombos stretched salary Simmons' 1 million salary guarantee and roster spot cap holds.  

I think you're still missing another draft pick/hold.  In your scenario I still come up with around 82 million which would give us ~20 million to fill 4 spots including a max guy.  Again, it would take some serious work to clean the books to the point of another max FA by 2019, 2010 seems more realistic.  I don't like the stretch unless it immediately benefits us.  

3 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I think you're still missing another draft pick/hold.  In your scenario I still come up with around 82 million which would give us ~20 million to fill 4 spots including a max guy.  Again, it would take some serious work to clean the books to the point of another max FA by 2019, 2010 seems more realistic.  I don't like the stretch unless it immediately benefits us.  

Show your work.  

I don't want to throw that draft pick cap hold in there because its too difficult to project right now and we could theoretically just flip it to another team for a 2020 pick if we're looking at saving cap space.  

Also it wouldn't be 20 million to fill 4 spots as its not a hard cap.  

Here's what i got

17 Fournier

5.7 biz stretched contract

7.25 Augustin

1 Simmons

5.8 Isaac

1.6 iwundu

28 Gordon

8.1 #1 pick, falls to 5.9 if its 4th

4.2 for minimum roster holds.  

That's 78.65 million.

With a  projected 108 million cap that gives us 29.35 million in cap room