Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

How many players that we could of drafted with those two picks that according to Hammond and weltman weren't worth it. Are now regular rotation guys in the nba? Some, are showing signs of being really good. But we didn't want too much talent on our roster. Rather have the well balanced squad we have now. 

It is just asinine to think that a 29 win team was just a barely rotational player or two (Simmons and speights) from being a playoff team. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Weltman and company made a solid move by signing JSimms, granted he is not a star, but solid for his contract; still better off the bench as a energy play maker. In 2018 Weltman/Vogel are officially on the clock and they probably won’t have much room for error. I expect we will try to shed some salary and begin a slow build focusing on culture and player development; it’s going to be a slow crawl, but sustainable long term. Just my ho. Being a Magic fan is truly an exercise of patience!!!

Regarding the Issac pick, It’s hard to pass on that kind of length and athleticism; not to mention he’s a super quality kid. I’m going to trust the process thinking this administration knows of the available Point Guards in this draft or potentially the opportunity to snag one through the trade market. 

I mirror these statements fully. Isaac IS rare and has immense potential. Starter quality points are not as rare as 6'11" players that can play 3-5. 

59 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

And the new guys did what in this last draft that gives anybody a reason to be optimistic?

snag the guy that most experts had the most upside in the draft and the stats ranked him as most likely to be an NBA starter

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I mirror these statements fully. Isaac IS rare and has immense potential. Starter quality points are not as rare as 6'11" players that can play 3-5. 

No starting points are just hard to obtain. 

22 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I would prefer Devos spend whatever it takes to get us out of this purgatory, but have to be realistic.

Yeah I'd love for some bench room for David Tisdale

Just now, Magicman28 said:

No starting points are just hard to obtain. 

no it just seems that way because we haven't had one since Jameer. there's 6 point guards that have gone or will go in the top 10 if you combine 17 and 18: Fultz,Ball,Fox,Smith Jr.,Sexton and Young. That's 30% or nearly one point guard in every 3 picks. Better to bet on getting one of those guards down the line then pass on the player with the highest upside. 

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

snag the guy that most experts had the most upside in the draft and the stats ranked him as most likely to be an NBA starter

I liked the Isaac pick but he was and is a development guy who wil. Take a couple of years and be healthy. Remember he is a toothpick just like porzingis that was the knock on him. It was a gamble. Just like the late first we had and 2nd rounder we had they would be gambles also so why not shoot the dice instead of passing the them. Chicken S***

Just now, fan for too long 2 said:

I liked the Isaac pick but he was and is a development guy who wil. Take a couple of years and be healthy. Remember he is a toothpick just like porzingis that was the knock on him. It was a gamble. Just like the late first we had and 2nd rounder we had they would be gambles also so why not shoot the dice instead of passing the them. Chicken S***

Yeah I wanted to draft Kuzma with one of those picks but we didn't, that sucks, but he wouldn't be getting the same minutes or development treatment here as he has in LA. I'd like that to be addressed asap

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

no it just seems that way because we haven't had one since Jameer. there's 6 point guards that have gone or will go in the top 10 if you combine 17 and 18: Fultz,Ball,Fox,Smith Jr.,Sexton and Young. That's 30% or nearly one point guard in every 3 picks. Better to bet on getting one of those guards down the line then pass on the player with the highest upside. 

Only one we had a shot at was DSJ.

The rest went before us. Again, they're there but teams snatch them up quick and don't let them go very easy. 

I'm not disagreeing with your point on 6'11players but just because there's a lot of PG'S doesn't make it any easier to obtain. Especially in trade because they're so valuable now.