Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Though yeah. Doncic is the preferred option. 

But if Dallas significantly outbids us what are you gonna do? Or what if Atlanta is like "nah, you guys wanting doncic so much makes us feel like we're making a mistake. We're picking him."

I think trading up is a real possibility but if it doesn't happen it doesn't mean that our pick should be looked at poorly unless we grab like okogie or something

1 minute ago, Originalticketholder said:

As far as we know our FO has been silent and vague about workouts and interviews.  Makes me think pundits getting info from other sources which may be a reach or not.  I will be surprised at nothing tonight.  Hoping for some solid contributors.

For all we know we haven't even contacted Atlanta about trading up and they're just trying to instigate a bidding war for Dallas to up their offer

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Though yeah. Doncic is the preferred option. 

But if Dallas significantly outbids us what are you gonna do? Or what if Atlanta is like "nah, you guys wanting doncic so much makes us feel like we're making a mistake. We're picking him."

I think trading up is a real possibility but if it doesn't happen it doesn't mean that our pick should be looked at poorly unless we grab like okogie or something

Yep. Dream is trading up. But I have 0 issues with staying at 6 and going Carter/Shai/Sexton. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

For all we know we haven't even contacted Atlanta about trading up and they're just trying to instigate a bidding war for Dallas to up their offer

The one truth we do know is that many games are being played.  I hope we are aggressive but smart.  Sometimes the best deal is the one you walk away from (wish that occurred with Oladipo).  Will be a fun night

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yep. Dream is trading up. But I have 0 issues with staying at 6 and going Carter/Shai/Sexton. 

That would be really disappointing given the likelihood that one of those guys will likely be there at 12/13.

2 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

That would be really disappointing given the likelihood that one of those guys will likely be there at 12/13.

Not super likely. Plus you draft the one highest on you board. 

46 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't understand the Shai hate. 

He's a 19 year old who improved exponentially over the course of the season which could be an indication of a considerably high ceiling (i.e. major college development program unlocked something that he wasn't getting in high school). He peaked at the end of the year when games mattered most and opponents were better. He fits our philosophy and fills a need. He could easily be the 6th best player in this draft. 

I like Sexton better but like I said 100 days ago Shai performed well enough in March to vault himself from the late teens to the late lotto and he's a good workout and good interviews to move up to where we pick. 

It's a mediocre pick. Not a great shooter, not a great athlete, not a great passer, not a great defender, it would be an awful pick at 6.

5 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

It's a mediocre pick. Not a great shooter, not a great athlete, not a great passer, not a great defender, it would be an awful pick at 6.

Is he though

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Is he though

Absolutely no one on here knows it’s a “mediocre” pick. Those are the same people saying young is Nash or Curry. The reality is no one knows. It’s speculation at best. Shai could end up a top 5 player from this draft. Maybe he’s a complete bust. We don’t know. 

If he was mocked top 10 the past 3 months there wouldn’t be this negative reaction on here. 

6 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Not super likely. Plus you draft the one highest on you board. 

None of us know the gap between SGA and other players likely available at 12 in the minds of Weltman and Hammond, but if you give me a choice of SGA at 6 or picks 12 & 13 I'd prefer taking two swings at players available at that stage. And probably would prefer Beverly and 12 over SGA at 6 as well.