Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't the Magic draft Gordon to be the defensive stopper with hope that the offense would come around?  Why not pick a guy to be an offensive catalyst with the hope that his defense will come around?  I'm not worried about where they play.  If you put Gordon, Issac and Bagley on the court to start the game, chances are your rotation is going to dictate that 2/3 are always on the court.  For the minutes all three play together, they are a complete matchup nightmare on offense and Gordon and Issac should be able to switch to give Bagley some protection on the defensive end.  It is not as though Bagley has athletic limitations that impair his defense like Vuc.  The guy is an athletic freak like Gordon.  I'll be shocked if he is there at 6.  Other than Ayton, I don't think there is another player that is more sure to be gone when the Magic pick.  

Being an average defender in college is something extremely easy to do relative to other basketball things. Most of it is just feeling shame when a guy scores on you and wanting that to not happen. So when guys are significantly below average defenders in college it's scary. 

Good defenders in college are often below average defenders in the pros as it's such a significant leap. A guy like Fournier tries really hard on defense but he's still below average. So you shouldn't be optimistic as defensive improvement is really hard. 

And when defensive improvement does happen it's usually the result of a significant amount of work to change the players body. Redick became a better defender after not playing for his first 3 years. And it really wasn't until his 6th year that he was good enough to be considered solid. 

1 hour ago, crisby pancakes said:

I'm not worried no, he will be decent, not bad not good just ok which is fine.

I've had to stop watching the video below as it makes me become irrational and want him at 6 lol

I'm not going to lie...that was a really good breakdown of his game with strengths and weaknesses...as well as a brief comparison of SGA/Sexton/Young. Probably worth a watch. 

The main reason I thought sga might get picked by us at 6 (other than wingspan) is in season rate of improvement. That might be a big deal in draft analysis that we don't consider

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The possibility of 6 to LA for 12 and 13 and picking Trae and Porter is more likely than I ever thought it would be. I’m not thrilled about either guy, but both that late I’d be okay with.

I would be doing back flips that I cannot do.  I would tell my wife to pinch me so I know it is real.  Then I would show some real emotion!

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't the Magic draft Gordon to be the defensive stopper with hope that the offense would come around?  Why not pick a guy to be an offensive catalyst with the hope that his defense will come around?  I'm not worried about where they play.  If you put Gordon, Issac and Bagley on the court to start the game, chances are your rotation is going to dictate that 2/3 are always on the court.  For the minutes all three play together, they are a complete matchup nightmare on offense and Gordon and Issac should be able to switch to give Bagley some protection on the defensive end.  It is not as though Bagley has athletic limitations that impair his defense like Vuc.  The guy is an athletic freak like Gordon.  I'll be shocked if he is there at 6.  Other than Ayton, I don't think there is another player that is more sure to be gone when the Magic pick.  

I think that your top five is going to be Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, JJJ, Bamba; probably in that order, though I can see 3-5 going in almost any order. Ayton to Phoenix looks to be a consensus. Since Bagley had a good workout for them and has said good things about Sac, and their front office has been less than glowing in their comments about Doncic; that makes Bagley at #2 a pretty solid bet as well. Atlanta seems to be focusing in on Doncic, though I could also see them going with either of JJJ or Bamba given their current roster. I think Young at #3 is just a smokescreen. 

I think Memphis is the first real up in the air pick. Since both JJJ and Bamba have not released medical, or worked out for them I can see them grabbing Doncic if he's there, possibly grabbing Porter, or trading the pick rather than reach for someone else. I can see Mikal Bridges working in that roster/system, but that seems like too much of a reach; and I don't know if they would take JJJ/Bamba given the circumstances. I could see JJJ being a workable option, but not sure they would pull that trigger. I really hope our FO is on the phone with them talking about that pick. 

13 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think that your top five is going to be Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, JJJ, Bamba; probably in that order, though I can see 3-5 going in almost any order. Ayton to Phoenix looks to be a consensus. Since Bagley had a good workout for them and has said good things about Sac, and their front office has been less than glowing in their comments about Doncic; that makes Bagley at #2 a pretty solid bet as well. Atlanta seems to be focusing in on Doncic, though I could also see them going with either of JJJ or Bamba given their current roster. I think Young at #3 is just a smokescreen. 

I think Memphis is the first real up in the air pick. Since both JJJ and Bamba have not released medical, or worked out for them I can see them grabbing Doncic if he's there, possibly grabbing Porter, or trading the pick rather than reach for someone else. I can see Mikal Bridges working in that roster/system, but that seems like too much of a reach; and I don't know if they would take JJJ/Bamba given the circumstances. I could see JJJ being a workable option, but not sure they would pull that trigger. I really hope our FO is on the phone with them talking about that pick. 

It's funny i think they would love to move down that's obvious. However i think they might want to move farther down then people think. Like in to the teens, maybe get Miles Bridges and a piece they could use now,.

5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

We're all gonna look so stupid when Trae Young proves to be the best player in  the draft. He's tailer made for this NBA.

That is only if Magic passes on Young but I doubt it 

Just now, MagicFan1234 said:

That is only if Magic passes on Young but I doubt it 

Really starting to think he is not there at number 6. It's been too many years in this new era. I cannot believe so m any teams are going to draft centers. They haven't been relevant for almost a decade.

Just now, hootie249 said:

Really starting to think he is not there at number 6. It's been too many years in this new era. I cannot believe so m any teams are going to draft centers. They haven't been relevant for almost a decade.

That is very true, last time there was a good center was Dwight 

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

theres the hope that some believe that the tides will turn back with embiid Kat Davis and these new bigs. Man I hope Young falls to us and we get him