Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I think if we could get 4 and Parsons for Vucevic/Fournier, Ross, and a top 3 protected 2019 first-rounder, I'd be ecstatic. I would do either one, depending on what Memphis wants. If they just want cap relief, give them Vuc and Ross. If they want some cap relief and some talent, give them Fournier and Ross. Either way, it works for me. Think of it this way:

If they want total cap relief (Vuc/Ross), they get that plus a likely lotto pick next year, though probably not as good as what they're giving up at 4. That's a great deal for them, if cap relief is something they value. If we're starting Isaac and two rookies next year, we won't be a playoff team by any stretch of the imagination, so the 2019 pick should be good. This takes all of Parsons' contract off the board for the cost of delaying a lotto pick one more year and (probably) dropping a few spots in the draft. Plus Memphis would have two expendable expiring contracts to trade off again at the deadline if they can (not that they could get much, but maybe a contending team would throw you a late first for Vuc if they really need scoring and rebounding off the bench).

If they want Fournier instead to try and make a good showing of it next year, then they get about $6 million in cap relief after Ross comes off the board next off-season, plus a solid wing on a fair contract while still getting a lottery pick from us in 2019. Looks great from their standpoint. You basically gave up 4 and saved $6 million for Fournier and likely somewhere in the 6-10 range of next year's draft. We could even suck bad enough that they get 4 again next year.

From our standpoint, if they want cap relief/Vuc (better for us): We just got the 4th pick in the draft for two expiring mid-level players and a future pick. Vuc and Ross are not long-term guys here (at least, I don't think so). So even if we end up sucking bad enough, end up giving them the 4th pick next year, we used Vuc and Ross to expedite our rebuild by a whole year. Not a bad trade. Imagine building around Luka/Isaac/Gordan/Carter, with Fournier as a super sixth man. Or a lineup of Young/Fournier/Isaac/Gordan/JJJ/Bamba, for the Young fans.

If they want Fournier, from our standpoint (not as ideal, but really still worth it): We just got the 4th pick for Evan Fournier, an expiring wing, and a future pick. Again, even if we end up giving them the 4th pick next year, we expedited our rebuild a full season for the price of an offense-only wing and an expiring contract.

My dream scenario, we do this trade: Parsons/4th for Fournier/Ross/2019 top 3 protected first. Top three picks are Ayton, Bagley, JJJ. We pick Luka with the 4th. 6th pick, we take Carter. Later, we make this trade: Vuc/35/41 for Meyers Leonard/24 (Portland gets out of Leonard's deal and gets a valuable backup/expiring contract plus two early second-rounders for the 24th pick; no-brainer for them, really). We take Aaron Holiday (3 and D PG, short but with good wingspan) at 24. We have great young core of Holiday/Luka/Isaac/Gordon/Carter/maybe Hezonja. Still have decent vets like DJ, Simmons, Parsons, and Biyombo to form a solid bench, and provide leadership without taking too many of the the young guys' minutes. In 2020, we get $53 million in cap relief, just from Parsons/Leonard/Biyombo, all at once, to re-sign guys and help make up for any busts in that group. Damn. Can I be the GM?

Great post. I'd love for that to happen, if we could somehow get luka and Carter you've gotta do everything you can to make that happen. Then that trade with portland is the icing, holiday could be the perfect pg to put beside luka. If the FO found a better pg whatever, I think getting back into the first round and getting a player that works really well beside luka would be perfect.

10 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

You should read my post again. 

Parsons is off the books at the same time we would actually be able to sign a good free agent. The same summer Biz comes off the books. Do you really think Parsons is gonna derail this teams future plans the next 2 years?

Idk how or why this is so hard for you to grasp.

I did overlook the 2 year part but still...I have problems with it because this isn't a star studded draft to where I feel comfortable taking on a salary like that. 

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Young and Doncic could be like CP3 and Harden on offense and ee have the defensive players to cover for them

No we don't have the defensive players to cover for them. That's the whole point. You can't cover for a poor defensive player like Trae anymore because of the way teams head hunt specific mismatches. Even if you had Rudy Gobert back there a team like Toronto is just going to play ibaka at the five to pull gobert away from the basket, isolate Trae on DeRozan in a spread pick and roll (without the roll) and take him to the basket over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

We saw this a couple years ago with James harden when he didn't care about defense at all. He put up 29 and 8 on offense and was surrounded by Beverley, Ariza, and Dwight on defense. That team was the 7th best offensive team but 21st on defense. They only won 41 games and were bounced in 5 games in the first round. Harden was able to improve to average on defense because he has enough size and athleticism and look at the difference it made. 

Do you think it's reasonable to expect Trae to be a harden level offensive player? Because that's the only way he becomes a better than average starting point guard. 

I think Trae wont be able to drive to the basket like Harden but he will be about as impactful on offense in different ways. More of a Steve Nash type of guy

Be ready to hear about Porter looking great in workouts. If he's got neuropathic pain that can be managed pretty easily in the short term with:

1. a TENS unit which provides electrical current through a pad you stick to your back. (If you have sciatica you should definitely think about picking up one of these from a pharmacy. The OTC ones are like $25 and it's much healthier than taking a bunch of aspirin)

2. An epidural steroid injection. This is a nerve block that can remove pain for a couple months. 

3. Topical opioids. This is kind of where pain management is going. You get all of the benefits of popping narcotics without the negatives of ingesting them by infusing them into a creme that's applied topically. Main issue is they're stupid expensive. 

So basically he'll do one of these things to mask pain short term. 

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No we don't have the defensive players to cover for them. That's the whole point. You can't cover for a poor defensive player like Trae anymore because of the way teams head hunt specific mismatches. Even if you had Rudy Gobert back there a team like Toronto is just going to play ibaka at the five to pull gobert away from the basket, isolate Trae on DeRozan in a spread pick and roll (without the roll) and take him to the basket over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

We saw this a couple years ago with James harden when he didn't care about defense at all. He put up 29 and 8 on offense and was surrounded by Beverley, Ariza, and Dwight on defense. That team was the 7th best offensive team but 21st on defense. They only won 41 games and were bounced in 5 games in the first round. Harden was able to improve to average on defense because he has enough size and athleticism and look at the difference it made. 

Do you think it's reasonable to expect Trae to be a harden level offensive player? Because that's the only way he becomes a better than average starting point guard. 

This. 

And it’s why I’m down on Young. It’s why Isiah the Celtics are better without Thomas. It’s why everyone on here hates Vuch. Young is gonna have to score like a heathen everynight to not be a negative player on the court. 

Think about it. Isiah Thomas scored 29 points a game last year and the Celtics are a much better team without him now. Obviously there’s other factors in that but being that bad defensively caps the team. 

I would much rather a PG that can defend really well and score the ball good over a PG who can’t defend anything but scores 25 a night (which I completely don’t think Young will ever be near that but I digress). 

This is also why I’ll take Sexton over young. He will be a far better defender but will still be able to score well and won’t be as 1 dimensional as Young.   

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Be ready to hear about Porter looking great in workouts. If he's got neuropathic pain that can be managed pretty easily in the short term with:

1. a TENS unit which provides electrical current through a pad you stick to your back. (If you have sciatica you should definitely think about picking up one of these from a pharmacy. The OTC ones are like $25 and it's much healthier than taking a bunch of aspirin)

2. An epidural steroid injection. This is a nerve block that can remove pain for a couple months. 

3. Topical opioids. This is kind of where pain management is going. You get all of the benefits of popping narcotics without the negatives of ingesting them by infusing them into a creme that's applied topically. Main issue is they're stupid expensive. 

So basically he'll do one of these things to mask pain short term. 

CBD Baby CBD. Rub that stuff where it hurts and you get instant relief. 

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I think Trae wont be able to drive to the basket like Harden but he will be about as impactful on offense in different ways. More of a Steve Nash type of guy

So you're sitting here today telling me that you expect Young to have an MVP caliber offensive impact, be a consistent first team all NBA player, and a ceiling of a top 30 season of all time type of performance. 

really?

REALLY?

The fact that Porter seems to be garnering consideration inside the top 8-10 is baffling to me.  But I guess I'm pretty low on him as a prospect even without considering the injuries.  He's Jeff Green without the explosion.

• Upvote 1

Also I think Steve Nash has a lesser base value in today's NBA. Less forcing of mismatches to exploit. That's evident by Phoenix having an average defense despite playing Amar'e, Nash, Barbosa

32 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So you're sitting here today telling me that you expect Young to have an MVP caliber offensive impact, be a consistent first team all NBA player, and a ceiling of a top 30 season of all time type of performance. 

really?

REALLY?

Nash won 2 mvps, Curry won 2 mvps. I don't necessarily think Young will be the best player on a championship team (I believe the point guard should be the sidekick to a star wing) but yeah, I think the sky is the limit for Young offensively