Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Contrary to most on the board, Young scares me. I think he could end up a sixth man as much as he could end up an all star. 

Is that not a risk with any prospect?

Let's take Isaac as an example. The kid has a ton of upside and has excellent measurements, but at the same time he's raw, thin, and no one is really sure where he will end up playing (SF, PF or C). On the one hand teams love prospects like this because if they develop they can be all stars, but on the other they carry a lot of risk because if they don't develop they tend to be defensive starters or rotation players. 

Unless someone like LeBron or KD come along, there is always some element of risk to any pick. 

I think Isaac was the most skilled player on the board with the highest upside when we took him.

one could easily say the same for young this draft.  Pick the players that know how to play basketball and live with the results 

50 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I think Isaac was the most skilled player on the board with the highest upside when we took him.

one could easily say the same for young this draft.  Pick the players that know how to play basketball and live with the results 

how was he the most skilled? if he's a couple years away like everyone else claims he is, it stands to reason he doesn't have much skill and needs to work on a lot of things to reach this high upside.

41 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Agreed, Isaac arguably had the most upside but a case could have been made for Markkanen or Smith Jr. However, I don't want to go down the route of we should have picked this guy or that guy, rather I was merely pointing out that most prospects come out of college and carry some risk. Same goes for this class. There's prospects with lots of upside but they almost all carry some degree of risk. It's why we discuss player's floors and ceilings. 

I can understand why some fans might have reservations over Trae, but the risk in selecting him is present to some degree in every pick. It's like you say, pick the players that know how to play and live with the results. Sometimes you get lucky and hit on a star, other times you just end up with a decent player. Fingers crossed this year we  get that star!

2 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

how was he the most skilled? if he's a couple years away like everyone else claims he is, it stands to reason he doesn't have much skill and needs to work on a lot of things to reach this high upside.

You can look at his skill set and what he can and can't do. For instance he actually has decent shooting form, but that hasn't really translated to say 40% from the arc like it could with time and development. Likewise his skill playing defense could translate into being an elite defender, it hasn't done to date, but it could with time and development. 

You can be the most skilled or one of the most skilled but still need time and development for those skills to translate to on court success.

1 hour ago, Mike1989 said:

You can look at his skill set and what he can and can't do. For instance he actually has decent shooting form, but that hasn't really translated to say 40% from the arc like it could with time and development. Likewise his skill playing defense could translate into being an elite defender, it hasn't done to date, but it could with time and development. 

You can be the most skilled or one of the most skilled but still need time and development for those skills to translate to on court success.

so what you're saying is he has skills but they aren't polished yet. which is fine, but that doesn't mean he's the most skilled like the earlier poster meant. Maybe you mean he has a variety of skills, and that's why he's the "most skilled?" 

Right now he seems more of a swiss army knife, can do a few things but not one thing particularly well. 

9 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Maybe not, but he looks the closest to a Lebron clone body-wise that I have seen. 6'7"-6'8", 7 foot wing span, 270 pounds, crazy powerful and athletic.

Actually, he looks bigger than Lebron when Lebron was in High School.

50 minutes ago, Odin said:

Maybe not, but he looks the closest to a Lebron clone body-wise that I have seen. 6'7"-6'8", 7 foot wing span, 270 pounds, crazy powerful and athletic.

Actually, he looks bigger than Lebron when Lebron was in High School.

Lebron was 240 when he entered. Zion at 270 seems like a tank

2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

so what you're saying is he has skills but they aren't polished yet. which is fine, but that doesn't mean he's the most skilled like the earlier poster meant. Maybe you mean he has a variety of skills, and that's why he's the "most skilled?" 

Right now he seems more of a swiss army knife, can do a few things but not one thing particularly well. 

Tatum was the most skilled if we're talking about variety of skills.  He just wasnt great at anything in college.  Just above average at everything.  

Until June that is.  

Isaac had the rarest talent.  Being built like a young bean pole center but moving like a guard.