Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

I really like this video series

Yeah. It's a really great production. I hope the dude keeps doing them

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Probably not. He's not a good defender and combo forward bad defenders are like the easiest position to fill. 

If you told me he could play/defend shooting guards he'd be great due to the size mismatch. But I don't really see that. 

Yea I get that. I’m not saying at 6 but there’s interest If we did trade down a few slots. I could see Hammond being enamoured with his size. 

33 minutes ago, Odin said:

Hmm, I think we could get a little more protection on that pick, maybe top 5 protected, but over all similar to what I was thinking.

Just hate giving up picks as I feel it can hamstring us in the future. As a bad team, are we really in a position where not having a pick next year doesn't hurt us too much?

I think we're in a position now where we should have 6 or 7 development pieces (Gordon, Isaac, iwundu, 2018 first, the 2018 seconds, and maybe Mario). The 2019 draft is projected to be a lot like the 2016 draft where it's top heavy with a steep drop in talent. 

It might make sense to reach into the top tier of the draft now and surround the developmental guys with vets with supporting talent vs going back to just assembling mismatched talent that has to fight each other to the top of the roster.  

I wouldn't go trading a bunch of future picks but the 2019 we can afford to lose. 

• Like 1

Here's my draft prediction. 

We either trade up to 3 and draft one of Ayton/doncic/jackson or we stay at 6 and take bamba. we target Jevon Carter in the second if he's there at 35 or use both picks to trade up for him. We trade Fournier for Reggie Jackson as a 1-2 year bridge point guard to just give us something there that fits our general philosophy while we evaluate our options going forward. 

Why Reggie Jackson?

1. He's "meh" enough to actually be traded

2. 7'0 wingspan helps switching fits our philosophy

3. After 1 year he becomes a 18 million expiring contract with no options while Fournier would have a player option that he might exercise. 

4. Detroit's wings right now are Langston Galloway (a combo guard), Stanley Johnson, kennard, and Bullock. That's potentially zero starting quality wings this year. They're one of the few teams that could actually see Fournier as an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Just reading how Sac and Mem might like Porter. This draft is going to be fun. Someone could end up pushed down to us. 

Very insightful and very possible.  He is a top 3 talent with an injury concern just like when Embiid was drafted.  That year, many draft projections had Embiid fropping from 1 to as low as 7th but Philly took the risk at #3.  Dropping to us will I do not think will be Ayton, Doncic (and if he doe not come this year, this draft will blow up), or JJJ.  I do not see Bagley getting past #5 so it is probably Bamba.  

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We either trade up to 3 and draft one of Ayton/doncic/jackson or we stay at 6 and take bamba. we target Jevon Carter in the second if he's there at 35 or use both picks to trade up for him. We trade Fournier for Reggie Jackson as a 1-2 year bridge point guard to just give us something there that fits our general philosophy while we evaluate our options going forward. 

Why Reggie Jackson?

3. After 1 year he becomes a 18 million expiring contract with no options while Fournier would have a player option that he might exercise. 

4. Detroit's wings right now are Langston Galloway (a combo guard), Stanley Johnson, kennard, and Bullock. That's potentially zero starting quality wings this year. They're one of the few teams that could actually see Fournier as an upgrade. 

I like that.  In your assumption do you have Porter and Bagley (or vice versa) at 4 and 5.  Also I would love that trade with the Pistons to somehow include Kennard.  We could use his shooting.

3 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I like that.  In your assumption do you have Porter and Bagley (or vice versa) at 4 and 5.  Also I would love that trade with the Pistons to somehow include Kennard.  We could use his shooting.

It wouldn't include kennard. 

We have an expensive, ok wing that we don't really want and need for a short term starting caliber point guard. They have an expensive ok point guard and need for a starting caliber wing that can shoot. 

This is one of those trades that nobody gets excited about but makes sense from a macro level. 

Would Fournier to the Jazz for something with Rubio make sense? They have Mitchell, presumably Exum, and a later picks in a draft full of PGs/Combos at the back end. 

10 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

Would Fournier to the Jazz for something with Rubio make sense? They have Mitchell, presumably Exum, and a later picks in a draft full of PGs/Combos at the back end. 

No more PGs that can't shoot please!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

They love Rubio. I’d be shocked if they moved him. It’s funny though cause as I watched the jazz in the playoffs i actually felt like Fournier would be a good fit there. Maybe there’s interest but it wouldn’t be for Rubio. 

23 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

I'm not sure they'd value Fournier vs a cheaper mid level guy. Especially considering Ingles and Mitchell are better and I'm not sure they think of Mitchell as a point guard

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Why Reggie Jackson?

Why Carter over other PGs in his range?