Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

There is zero chance we bring in a ton of rookies after hiring Clifford. We might grab a super long term project in the second to just leave in the G-League. 

Clifford had a win now agenda in Charlotte, I'm sure we've instructed him about our new rebuild efforts and importance of player development

37 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

There is zero chance we bring in a ton of rookies after hiring Clifford. We might grab a super long term project in the second to just leave in the G-League. 

That's presumptive. I don't think the hiring has any impact on management philosophy. 

2 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Clifford had a win now agenda in Charlotte, I'm sure we've instructed him about our new rebuild efforts and importance of player development

Yep. Clifford I’m sure was hired with a long methodical plan put forth by management. There is zero pressure to win here next year if anything it’s the opposite. We won’t take any shortcuts this time around. 

I maintain the 2 year plan. 

Add this year’s pick with Issac and AG (maybe) than 2 top 5 picks the next 2 years and we should have a solid foundation. Ideally we find a diamond in the rough second round or G league guy too. 

Young/Barrett/Issac/AG/Wiseman

Obviously im just throwing names out there but some core like the above could be somewhat plausible. 

Sources told Sporting News that Boston has expressed interest in Bamba, including interviewing him at the Chicago pre-draft combine two weeks ago. Bamba measured in with a record wingspan of 7-10 in Chicago, reinforcing his status as the most ready-made rim protector in the draft.

Of course, the challenge is securing a pick that will be high enough to land Bamba. He could go as high as No. 3 to the Hawks, and there has also been talk that the Magic — picking sixth — are high on Bamba and won’t let him drop past their slot.

The Celtics have the No. 27 pick, but they have multiple assets on hand that could help them move into the top five of the draft, where the Grizzlies (No. 4) and Mavericks (No. 5) have made it clear they’re willing to make a deal.

It’s almost certain that the Celtics would not move rookie forward Jayson Tatum, who just wrapped up the postseason as the team’s leading scorer, at 18.5 points per game. Less certain, though, is what Boston might do with point guard Terry Rozier (16.5 points, 5.7 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game in the playoffs) or swingman Jaylen Brown (18.0 points per game in the playoffs).

The Celtics were without star point guard Kyrie Irving in the playoffs and major free-agent signee Gordon Hayward for all but the first five minutes of the season. Both players will return, reducing the the roles of players like Rozier and Brown.

Team president Danny Ainge has been aggressive in his attempts to build the Celtics into a championship-caliber team, so even as Rozier and Brown have become fan favorites, a deal involving either (or both) is not out of the question.

In order to move into the top five of the draft, the Celtics would likely have to give up either Rozier or Brown — Dallas (Dennis Smith Jr.) and Memphis (Mike Conley) already have point guards, and would almost certainly prefer Brown.

And Boston probably would have to include this year’s draft pick, as well as at least one pick next year, when the Celtics own Sacramento’s pick (protected for the first overall pick) as well as Memphis’ pick (top-eight protected).

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-trade-rumors-celtics-news-mo-bamba-terry-rozier-jaylen-brown/133p7iqhqcizdzpnevero3fsg?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Assuming Bamba is still there, I would trade 6 for Rozier or Brown, pick 27, and the 2019 Sacramento pick.

3 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Yep. Clifford I’m sure was hired with a long methodical plan put forth by management. There is zero pressure to win here next year if anything it’s the opposite. We won’t take any shortcuts this time around. 

I maintain the 2 year plan. 

Add this year’s pick with Issac and AG (maybe) than 2 top 5 picks the next 2 years and we should have a solid foundation. Ideally we find a diamond in the rough second round or G league guy too. 

Young/Barrett/Issac/AG/Wiseman

Obviously im just throwing names out there but some core like the above could be somewhat plausible. 

I'd agree that we should stay patient and not try to do some quick fix, however if you look at John Hammond's record with Milwaukee from 2008 they didn't spend seasons tanking. They tried to turn things around as quickly as possible and that potentially is what we might try to do because we've spent long enough at the bottom. There might be a belief that Isaac, Gordon and this year's first round pick is the core we will build around, and we'll make moves to upgrade the other spots through trades and free agency. It wouldn't surprise me if the desire for next season is to improve the win count and try to make a push for the play offs rather than tank for a top five pick. I'd certainly be surprised if we tried for a top five pick the next two seasons. I could be wrong and maybe we will tank a couple more seasons but I don't see that being this front office's M.O because both our GM and President came from teams that rebuilt on the fly rather than spent lots of time tanking. 

7 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

It's an interesting deal. If given a choice I'd probably take Rozier/Brown and the picks because I'm not totally sold on Bamba being what this team needs in today's NBA. However, I'm not sure Boston needs to go with that deal because it really doesn't seem to benefit them. It makes sense to get something back for Rozier, but I wouldn't be selling the 2019 Sacramento pick because that could be a very high value pick if they struggle next season. Maybe package Rozier and #27 for a proven veteran, but I wouldn't be giving up too much because Boston are well set going forward and in a sense they might be wise to keep Rozier as insurance for the often injured Kyrie. 

We arent getting top 5 odds unless we let Gordon walk and sell vets, or somehow have even worse injuries than last year.

1 minute ago, Tank Vogel said:

We arent getting top 5 odds unless we let Gordon walk and sell vets, or somehow have even worse injuries than last year.

Ehh we can easily get top 5 odds with AG still here. He was pretty awful second half of last year. 

I agree we’d have to sell some though. I’d trade Vuch and Fournier for just about anything. Second rounders or whatever. Ross might be able to get us a young player. 

7 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

I wouldn't rule out top five odds because Detroit, Charlotte, Chicago, Memphis, both LA teams, Denver, Dallas, and possibly Sacramento will all look to get better next season. The Knicks might tank with KP injured, the Nets might tank now they own their draft picks, and Atlanta and Phoenix both look years from being competitive without significant moves. 

Unless our first round pick this year comes in and makes a Donovan Mitchell like impact, or we make substantial moves in free agency or through trades, or a player has an all star breakout, I'd fancy us to have top ten odds in the lottery next year if not top five if we don't make attempts to get better. It depends on the outlook of this front office. Are we going to be competitive and get better, or are we going to tank and gut this roster to start over with this front office's picks (i.e. Isaac, this year's pick etc)? 

Celtics are interested in trading up for Bamba, that would be a great pick for them and I would not be surprised if they win the championship next year if Hayward and Irving stays healthy and they draft Bamba 

It would take a kings ransom to get me to trade pick 6 to the Celtics. I'm talking Rozier, pick 27 and a couple of future 1st rounders. 

I wouldn't trade 6 for Rozier in any reasonable package. 

It'd be nice to grab Rozier. He's a solid starting point guard with some upside but it's not like he's special. 

• Like 1