Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Count the different ways people give him the benefit of the doubt. 

1. His defense was bad because he was too tired from playing offense

2. He had that usage because his teammates were bad.

3. His poor shot selection was due to his teammates being bad

4. His turnovers were high because he tried to do too much. 

5. His poor efficiency was due to defenses defending him too hard. 

6. Any negatives about his game will be improved because he's a freshman

What's 7 going to be? His team finished 4-12 because they were tanking?

We had this same conversation about AG's lack of rebounding and defense last season. You mentioned how usually when one is fixated on one thing other things suffer.

16 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

We had this same conversation about AG's lack of rebounding and defense last season. You mentioned how usually when one is fixated on one thing other things suffer.

Sure. It's valid in some way but I'll give a guy the benefit of the doubt when he shows he can do something first then changes how he plays later so we at least have proof of concept. 

Like Mikal Bridges he was a fantastic defender his first couple years. This year he took a step back because of his offensive load. So here's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

And if we had legitimate expectations for improvement (i.e. body type, athleticism, etc) I'd understand. But he's got short arms, a body type that can't really handle more than, like, 190 lbs, and below average (relative to NBA point guards) athleticism. 

I just feel like Trae Young has been given more excuses for weaknesses than any other prospect I can remember. 

If you're a team with a defined core who needs a jolt of offense some nights and someone to carry your second unit others it makes sense to pick Trae. But if you're a team expecting to win playing him 32 minutes every night as one of your core guys you're going to be disappointed. 

48 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

At this point, given what we know of our management, I will be very surprised if they draft Young. I tend to think they want either JJJ, Bamba, Carter or Sexton. All fit the typical profile of their type of guy. Porter, given his upside, could be a sleeper. That all said, I'll support any cat we draft. 

I will too but I'd rather have #12 & #13 than take a chance on Porter's back. As deep as this draft is getting 2 in the top 13 may be better than taking leftovers in the top 6. We should be able to get Sexton or SGA and a big with #12 & 13 and 2 shooters with our 2nds so I would not be disappointed if we did that.

• Downvote 1

If we don't take a PG with #6, i pray we find a way to get Okobo to pair with whoever we first took.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Sure. It's valid in some way but I'll give a guy the benefit of the doubt when he shows he can do something first then changes how he plays later so we at least have proof of concept. 

Like Mikal Bridges he was a fantastic defender his first couple years. This year he took a step back because of his offensive load. So here's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

And if we had legitimate expectations for improvement (i.e. body type, athleticism, etc) I'd understand. But he's got short arms, a body type that can't really handle more than, like, 190 lbs, and below average (relative to NBA point guards) athleticism. 

I just feel like Trae Young has been given more excuses for weaknesses than any other prospect I can remember. 

If you're a team with a defined core who needs a jolt of offense some nights and someone to carry your second unit others it makes sense to pick Trae. But if you're a team expecting to win playing him 32 minutes every night as one of your core guys you're going to be disappointed. 

I mean he's 19 year old freshman. Waiting to see is different than completely writing him off.

I'm not worried about the physicalities. We've seen PG'S with the same or less have decent to good defense.

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

this is going to be a really awkward season on here if we draft Trae or if we don't draft Trae and he plays great, which he will

if won't be awkward. If we take him and he balls out, everyone is happy. If we take him and he bombs, his nay-sayers get their draft analysis in the future weighted more favorably. If we pass on him and he balls out, his supports get their draft analysis in the future weighted more favorably. If we pass and he bombs, everyone is happy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

At this point, given what we know of our management, I will be very surprised if they draft Young. I tend to think they want either JJJ, Bamba, Carter or Sexton. All fit the typical profile of their type of guy. Porter, given his upside, could be a sleeper. That all said, I'll support any cat we draft. 

I agree with this but I’d have Porter with those guys too. 

Im kinda of falling more and more out of love Bamba. Not to say I’d be mad if we got him but does a player with his skill set really thrive in today’s nba? If he’s absolutely useless offensively his whole career that’s gonna servely limit his usage at times. 

But I completely agree Young doesn’t strike me as a prospect that would be high on our managements draft boards. But who knows maybe they want to go a different direction and draft a Hail Mary type player that will generate buzz amongst the fans. Doubt it. 

28 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

If we take him and he bombs, his nay-sayers get their draft analysis in the future weighted more favorably. If we pass on him and he balls out, his supports get their draft analysis in the future weighted more favorably. If we pass and he bombs, everyone is happy.

I don't think people remember long enough to weigh draft analysis favorably based on success/failure.  They weigh it based largely on whose analysis can be repeated enough times and other measures of time and likability.