Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

When I was looking at possible Mack deals that's the best one I could come up with. 

6 and Mack for Beverley, 12 and 13 is one I thought about but the only prospects I like at 12 and 13 are guards and that's a whole lot of guards on the roster unless we deal Ross, Fournier or Augustin.

42 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

6 and Mack for Beverley, 12 and 13 is one I thought about but the only prospects I like at 12 and 13 are guards and that's a whole lot of guards on the roster unless we deal Ross, Fournier or Augustin.

At 12 and 13 we could come away with a Robert Williams and Miles Bridges, they can boost the front court. Alternatively we could pick SGA to develop behind Beverley since Augustin is realistically no more than an off the bench option. 

Beverley / Augustin

Fournier / Simmons

Isaac / Ross

Gordon / Miles?

Williams? / Biyombo

I suppose there's a fair amount of guards tipped to go in the middle, but some of them do have upside and could be appealing picks. For example Zhaire Smith is very athletic and a potentially exciting prospect. Khyri Thomas is a good shooter and has upside. We could gamble on one of them and package Fournier to see if we can get another pick or player in return. Ross is an ideal sixth man and Augustin and Simmons are an ideal off the bench back court duo. It's nice depth.

I'd like to see Hezonja back but I think someone will pay him more than we will be willing to pay.

I think we should just take the BPA and then if there are 2 good prospects still on the board at 12 and 13 we can get on the phone and see if we can make a deal with the clips. If not then just keep the guy we got.

• Upvote 1

Trae Young just scares me, I can understand why he has this much hype, same reason he'll sell seats wherever he gets drafted.

He has so many red flags, I think he COULD become a really good player but I think just so much is working against him, he'll have to be an absolute monster on offense to offset his defensive/physical/athletic limitations.

I think I can get behind any of the linked prospects around 6, I don't want Bagley and I don't really want to reach for SGA but most others I'll be excited to draft, Trae Young included, he just scares me a lot. 

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

Trae Young just scares me, I can understand why he has this much hype, same reason he'll sell seats wherever he gets drafted.

He has so many red flags, I think he COULD become a really good player but I think just so much is working against him, he'll have to be an absolute monster on offense to offset his defensive/physical/athletic limitations.

I think I can get behind any of the linked prospects around 6, I don't want Bagley and I don't really want to reach for SGA but most others I'll be excited to draft, Trae Young included, he just scares me a lot. 

This narrative that Trae is the John Amaechi of PG'S is absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I will be happy with any of Jjj, Bamba, Bagley, Carter, Young or even Porter. 

I think we are in a decent position to draft a very nice potential starter for next year. 

I just need to trust managment as they are the ones conducting the interviews and workouts. 

I am not going to go back and forward on who I prefer as we truly dont know any of the player characters or desires. If Young wants to be in New York then pick someone who wants to be here or work a deal with New York to get more assests. But at the same time we cant trust anything that we read. 

I am more concerned and interested to see what happens during the free agency period. I want to see some movements that make sense. I want to see progress We need to clear space. 

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

I think we should just take the BPA and then if there are 2 good prospects still on the board at 12 and 13 we can get on the phone and see if we can make a deal with the clips. If not then just keep the guy we got.

Exactly what we should do. I agree. Dont look for position, although getting a big guy will be ideal. If cleveland, knucks or Clippers want Trae and want to overspend for him then I will not mind taking him sonwe can pull a Danny Ainge on them. 

8 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

At 12 and 13 we could come away with a Robert Williams and Miles Bridges, they can boost the front court. Alternatively we could pick SGA to develop behind Beverley since Augustin is realistically no more than an off the bench option. 

Beverley / Augustin

Fournier / Simmons

Isaac / Ross

Gordon / Miles?

Williams? / Biyombo

I suppose there's a fair amount of guards tipped to go in the middle, but some of them do have upside and could be appealing picks. For example Zhaire Smith is very athletic and a potentially exciting prospect. Khyri Thomas is a good shooter and has upside. We could gamble on one of them and package Fournier to see if we can get another pick or player in return. Ross is an ideal sixth man and Augustin and Simmons are an ideal off the bench back court duo. It's nice depth.

I'd like to see Hezonja back but I think someone will pay him more than we will be willing to pay.

I don’t think Khyri Thomas is getting enough love. Would love to leave the draft with Bamba, Khyri, and Jevon carter.

8 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

Beverley / Augustin

Fournier / Simmons

Isaac / Ross

Gordon / Miles?

Williams? / Biyombo

Robert Williams and miles Bridges would be a worst case scenario imo as they're repeat talent that is very likely to be worse than guys already on the roster. 

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Robert Williams and miles Bridges would be a worst case scenario imo as they're repeat talent that is very likely to be worse than guys already on the roster. 

Moving back to 12 and 13 gives us a lot of options to consider with those picks aside from those two...

One option could be to draft a duo of guards. I really like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander as a point guard prospect. At #12 he would have a ton of value because he's a decent and developing shooter, and he's a pretty good passer as well. We could pair him with Zhaire Smith, Khyri Thomas, Lonnie Walker, Gary Trent Jr or Donte DiVincenzo, who is receiving a lot of hype. Adding a pair of guards can allow us to be patient and develop our starting back court of the future, while utilizing two veterans in the back court to help boost our win count because I would expect us to try and win games next season and make a run at the play offs. Even if we don't win many games, next year's class looks to be more forward heavy so if we decide to make any changes on that front (i.e. Isaac and Gordon) we can do that then if we are in the position to do so. 

The second option could be to grab an exciting young guard prospect (my ideal selection is SGA or Zhaire Smith) and pick the best player available from another position. I am not a huge fan of Robert Williams and Miles Bridges, but both bring enough potential to the table to be good additions to this roster. The benefit of adding Williams is that he can start for us when we find a taker for Vucevic and eventually move on from Biyombo. He's not a flashy prospect but he is a fairly safe pick. 

I'm not on the trade back bandwagon in this case because at 6 I think we can get a good prospect, but at 12 and 13 there are some good options in that range that offer good value and upside.