Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I wouldn't mind us drafting him, as long as it's not the way we drafted Isaac (without even working him out!). I'm always fond of the swing for the fences, which is why I was okay with Mario back in the day, why I wanted DSJ so bad last year, and why I'll likely always want the guy with the potential to be a superstar (at least, when we're picking top 10). As long as our medical staff likes what they see, and his workouts warrant such a high pick, I have no problem with Porter. I feel like there's an equal chance whoever else we get at 6 doesn't pan out for one reason or another.

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

Pray that Mo falls and pray we can trade up for Sexton with additional pick.

If you could get a 2nd pick in the late lotto, would you want:

Bamba/Sexton or Young/Bridges?

Bamba/SGA.

Bamba looking like a pipe dream so I'll settle for Carter/SGA.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I place him and Jaren Jackson in the same category. They have a lot of upside, measure well, and are intriguing prospects. In regards to their floor they both should be able to become solid players because of what they should be able to contribute to on defense (i.e. rebounding, shot blocking etc). However, the offensive end is where both players could struggle and if that side of the game doesn't come along then they will be potentially stuck at that DeAndre Jordan kinda level. Now that's not a nail in the coffin because you can still win with that type of player, but that type of player is naturally a good team's 4th option (i.e. the Clippers at their best had Griffin, Paul, and Redick before him). In our situation can we afford to take a risk on that type of player? I see no reason why not with our current pick, however if I was a team picking in the top few I would not go for them because they measure well. You have to look at the bigger picture and from what I've seen I would rank Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, and Porter (if healthy) ahead of them. I might even rank Trae Young ahead of them because I think he will become a good player at the next level.

With that said, if one of them is available when we are on the clock we should take them because even if we only get a DeAndre Jordan like player we will have a piece to the puzzle. 

2 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

I would take Young and Bridges but only if the latter is Mikal Bridges, if it's Miles Bridges then I would look at a different option.

I am not totally sold on Bamba. I think he is one of those prospects that people fall in love with because of their measurements. Take away that flashy wing span and give him an average wing span and there would be significantly less interest. I would not sit here and complain if we take him sixth overall because I can understand the reasons behind picking him, however he wouldn't be my choice. 

If we land Trae Young and get the #12 pick and the draft falls as it does on NBAdraft.net (Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, JJJ, Porter, Young, Carter, Bamba, Sexton, Mikal, Knox) then I would be very tempted at drafting Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  He could be an ideal partner for Trae in the back court because he brings to the table a long frame, defense, and a pretty well rounded skill set. As a shooter he is still a work in progress but showed positive signs of being able to knock down three pointers. He is capable of handling the ball and attacking the hoop. So he can make up for some of Trae's shortcomings on the defensive end and potentially give us our back court of the future. 

I would be pretty happy going into next year with Trae Young, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jonathan Isaac, Aaron Gordon, and whomever we decide to go with at center. In today's NBA you don't need an elite center to win and compete for championships. What you need is someone that can do the basics and defend well. 

2 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

young , Mikal 

8 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Take away that flashy wing span and give him an average wing span and there would be significantly less interest

Yes. Because he wouldn't be the same player. If Yao Ming was 6'11 he wouldn't have been as good.  10 extra inches of wingspan changes passing angles significantly. 

Make Isaac 6'7 he wouldn't be as good. 

If Ben Simmons was 6'5 he doesn't go 1

Just now, Tank Vogel said:

Gimme a Sexton/Zhaire Smith combo

Don't start liking Sexton just because I started talking about Sexton today. I'm probably completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I know. But Boston drafts well. 

Post lottery 2016 a lot of mocks had Jaylen Brown falling to 7-9. They had Boston selecting Bender because skilled big men should be valued. Jaylen was an athletic, strong, smart player who couldn't shoot. 

He's now averaging 18ppg on 42% three point shooting in the playoffs. 

Sexton is a strong, long, athletic, gamer. Conventional wisdom suggests he's not a lotto pick. But maybe we're not valuing the right things? Terry Rozier had similar issues

Or maybe he's Shelvin Mack, I dunno. Something to think about. 

Rozier was picked out of the lottery. If you can get Sexton there then it's great. I'm not into 6'2 guys with bad PG skills in the Top 10.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes. Because he wouldn't be the same player. If Yao Ming was 6'11 he wouldn't have been as good.  10 extra inches of wingspan changes passing angles significantly. 

Make Isaac 6'7 he wouldn't be as good. 

If Ben Simmons was 6'5 he doesn't go 1

My point is very simple. People get excited over wingspan and measurements because they think that equals a "can't miss" kinda prospect. How many times have we seen teams draft players based on measurements and they never live up to those high expectations? 

Hasheem Thabeet measured well. The Grizzlies took him second overall in 2009 and passed on James Harden, Tyreke Evans (etc). The guy is no longer in the NBA and is plying his trade in Japan whereas James Harden is one of the best guards in the league, Tyreke Evans career got derailed by injuries but he's still a pretty good player, DeMar DeRozan is an all star, and Ricky Rubio has become a solid starting point guard. Another example is a guy we have on our roster right now, Bismack Biyombo, he is only 6 ft 9 but boasted a 7ft 7 wingspan. Teams got excited by him and he ended up getting picked 7th overall ahead of Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard (etc) based on athleticism and measurements. Biyombo is a decent impact player but he's nothing more than that. 

There are good players in this league right now that got overlooked because they didn't measure well. CJ McCollum is undersized for a shooting guard but he's emerged as starter on a play off team averaging over 20 points a night. Gordon Hayward's wingspan is actually shorter than his listed height in shoes and only an inch longer than his height without shoes. There is a guy that made the all star game in 2017 and made the Celtics pay out a $128 million contract. Then there is that guy that plies his trade for Golden State, two time league MVP, five time all star, two time All-NBA first team, two time All-NBA second team, scoring champion, steals leader, and two time NBA Champion - Stephen Curry. The guy is 6ft 3 with a nearly identical wingspan, lacks athleticism, and isn't particularly known for being a top defensive talent, yet there is a guy that most people would put on their dream team from current NBA players. 

So sometimes those "freakish" wingspan and measurements don't translate to success on an NBA court, but other prospects that didn't measurement well or meet ideal criteria end up having success on an NBA court. That's my point when it comes to Bamba. People love the guy because he's got a freakish wingspan, but that doesn't mean he is going to be the next great big in the league. When I say take away that wingspan and give him an average one for his height, I am merely pointing out that if that was the case he would not be being tipped as a potential top five pick, he would be a late lottery pick like Robert Williams. His wingspan gives him a chance of being special and that's what people are falling in love with, but that perceived ceiling may end up being unattainable and unrealistic, and we need to be careful to ensure we aren't sold a prospect based purely on a freakish wingspan and ignore the guy that could be special because doesn't measure as well, or doesn't have ideal athleticism for his size (etc). We need to be smart because this pick is important for our direction going forwards. Get it right and we can turn this around quickly. Get it wrong and we'll be stuck at the bottom end for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

My point is very simple. People get excited over wingspan and measurements because they think that equals a "can't miss" kinda prospect. How many times have we seen teams draft players based on measurements and they never live up to those high expectations? 

Hasheem Thabeet measured well. The Grizzlies took him second overall in 2009 and passed on James Harden, Tyreke Evans (etc). The guy is no longer in the NBA and is plying his trade in Japan whereas James Harden is one of the best guards in the league, Tyreke Evans career got derailed by injuries but he's still a pretty good player, DeMar DeRozan is an all star, and Ricky Rubio has become a solid starting point guard. Another example is a guy we have on our roster right now, Bismack Biyombo, he is only 6 ft 9 but boasted a 7ft 7 wingspan. Teams got excited by him and he ended up getting picked 7th overall ahead of Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard (etc) based on athleticism and measurements. Biyombo is a decent impact player but he's nothing more than that. 

There are good players in this league right now that got overlooked because they didn't measure well. CJ McCollum is undersized for a shooting guard but he's emerged as starter on a play off team averaging over 20 points a night. Gordon Hayward's wingspan is actually shorter than his listed height in shoes and only an inch longer than his height without shoes. There is a guy that made the all star game in 2017 and made the Celtics pay out a $128 million contract. Then there is that guy that plies his trade for Golden State, two time league MVP, five time all star, two time All-NBA first team, two time All-NBA second team, scoring champion, steals leader, and two time NBA Champion - Stephen Curry. The guy is 6ft 3 with a nearly identical wingspan, lacks athleticism, and isn't particularly known for being a top defensive talent, yet there is a guy that most people would put on their dream team from current NBA players. 

So sometimes those "freakish" wingspan and measurements don't translate to success on an NBA court, but other prospects that didn't measurement well or meet ideal criteria end up having success on an NBA court. That's my point when it comes to Bamba. People love the guy because he's got a freakish wingspan, but that doesn't mean he is going to be the next great big in the league. When I say take away that wingspan and give him an average one for his height, I am merely pointing out that if that was the case he would not be being tipped as a potential top five pick, he would be a late lottery pick like Robert Williams. His wingspan gives him a chance of being special and that's what people are falling in love with, but that perceived ceiling may end up being unattainable and unrealistic, and we need to be careful to ensure we aren't sold a prospect based purely on a freakish wingspan and ignore the guy that could be special because doesn't measure as well, or doesn't have ideal athleticism for his size (etc). We need to be smart because this pick is important for our direction going forwards. Get it right and we can turn this around quickly. Get it wrong and we'll be stuck at the bottom end for years to come. 

Yeah but this wingspan is paired with coordination and legitimate work ethic. Big difference. 

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah but this wingspan is paired with coordination and legitimate work ethic. Big difference. 

And a shot with range.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Fair enough, but my point remains that the hype is tied to his measurables. He can work hard, but some players have it, others simply give everything they've got but aren't really needle movers. If we go for Bamba, I won't criticize the decision and will back the team all the way as usual, but I would be lying if I said that Bamba is the guy I want a six because I'm not buying into the hype because he's got freakish measurements.