Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

OH MY GOD

The first three numbers drawn were, in order, 9, 12 and 6. High numbers put more teams in play. In general, the teams with the best lottery odds - Phoenix and Memphis -- have most of the four-number combinations with 1s and 2s. In that moment before the drawing of the fourth ball, a bunch of teams held combinations featuring 6, 9, and 12 -- including Orlando, Cleveland (via Brooklyn), and Sacramento. I don't say this facetiously: The tension in those 10 seconds was very, very real. Out popped a "1," and the Suns had their first No. 1 pick in history

5 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Jennings is a very similar player. So there’s that. 

Is he? Jennings was on a different level athletically than Young is. He was quick and explosive and could finish above the rim. Young can hardly dunk. Not comparable IMO. Also Jennings has better length. 

Milwaukee and Toronto were two of the most disappointing teams in these playoffs so it's not like we're talking about Golden State & San Antonio level of success.

Length is fine but pretending like it's be-all end-all is crazy

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ML6 said:

It is not worth it to flirt with fate the way Dallas did.  If we were sitting here today without a pick because Silver decided to make an example of us for blatantly tanking by sitting a healthy Gordon/Vooch/Augustin, you'd be complaining about how Vogel was too stupid to not disguise it a little by playing our main guys just a touch.

We tanked as much as possible without falling into an unnecessary level of risk.

Just one last comment.  I am not a proponent for tanking.  It is the one thing that the weasel Silver and I agree on.  He said last night it is not good for fans to pressure GM's to lose.  I agree.  But the lottery is an absolute failure.  And next year if you have a bad record your chances decrease to get a higher pick.  Lucky bounces of ping pong balls is NOT a solution for competitive balance or to solve tanking.  Silver even admitted that last night.  It is not fair that we have dropped two years in a row due to a broken system all done for PR for the NBA.  Under the current system tanking is an answer to improve your team, Silver even admitted that too.  So to fix it the weasel introduces a plan that does not help bad teams get better.  I am convinced He would not have fined anyone, taken a pick away unless you used the word "tank" or "tanking" repeatedly.  For all the elation in Phoenix, Sacramento, and Atlanta it is countered by disappointment in Memphis, Dallas and Orlando.  We, as fans,  deserve a real fix!!!

10 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Is he? Jennings was on a different level athletically than Young is. He was quick and explosive and could finish above the rim. Young can hardly dunk. Not comparable IMO. Also Jennings has better length. 

Even if you want to give them Jennings as the exception, every other pick (for better or worse) is a height/length/athleticism guy. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Even if you want to give them Jennings as the exception, every other pick (for better or worse) is a height/length/athleticism guy. 

Exactly 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

I wonder if we'll reach for Sexton, zhaire, Bridges, Walker, shai

I could see them liking a few of those guys but not to draft at 6. If we traded down I’d be all over Walker or Zhaire. 

Shai is an interesting prospect. Extremely raw but he got better as the year went on.