Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Worst landing spot: Orlando Magic

The Magic wouldn't have enough support at either end for Doncic, who'll want a breakdown point guard partner to take pressure away, plus a strong team defense. Orlando doesn't have either. 

Aaron Gordon is a restricted free agent, Nikola Vucevic will be entering the final year on his deal and Jonathan Isaac only managed 27 games as a rookie. This franchise lacks stability and upside. 

Atlanta isn't super attractive for Doncic, either, though John Collins, Taurean Prince and four top-33 picks should make it a more desirable situation.  

Worst landing spot: Orlando Magic

Already jammed up with Gordon, Isaac and Vucevic, Orlando wouldn't be an ideal landing spot for Ayton. 

The team would likely have to move one of their three bigs before the season. And even if it did, the spacing—which Ayton should value as a post player—could be limited, particularly with the Magic ranking No. 28 in three-point shooting.

Without much room to operate or any guards to run the show, Orlando would present Ayton with a tough situation.

Worst landing spot: Atlanta Hawks

The worst landing spot for Bagley is a coin toss between the Magic and Hawks. But at least in Orlando, he'd have the chance to pair with Jonathan Isaac or Aaron Gordon, who are better defenders. A Bagley-John Collins duo could be problematic. 

Neither are rim protectors or perimeter defenders. And in Atlanta, where Dennis Schroder's fit and future remain uncertain, Bagley wouldn't have many veterans or playmakers to play off.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2775518-2018-nba-draft-best-and-worst-landing-spots-for-every-projected-lottery-pick#slide3

apparently we're the worst landing spot for all the top prospects

7 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

They're just being myopic and viewing teams like they're getting ready to play tomorrow instead of actually projecting the roster. 

26 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Evidently we are not a "worst landing spot" for Michael Porter, Jr who Bleacher Report has us taking at pick #5 in their current mock draft.   Perhaps Bleacher Report's goal is irritating a lot of people on this site (myself not included since I am a Porter fan).  lol!!!  Sounds like their assessment of our team differs from mine.  Lack of stability and upside????????  Instead I see veteran NBA FO folks making their footprint on this organization methodically and rationally.  Any of the top 8 players we will take (hope it is closer to #1 than #8 after tonight) will be a  part of this remake. And our roster remake is not done!  No matter what Bleacher report says we we will get a very good player (maybe even an All Star) on 6/21 who will be in a "GREAT" landing spot!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Gut feelings with no real basis in reality is a really weird reason to have an opinion. Like I can understand preferring other players to doncic or arguing fit or something. Or preferring size or outlier level athleticism to doncic's decent athleticism. But just randomly guessing with no basis, like, doesn't mean anything. You aren't correct if he's a bust. You just chose an outcome. It's like saying a coin flip is landing heads. If it does lands on heads you didn't correctly predict something, you just chose a 50% random event that lucked out. 

I thought this earlier today: Doncic is more athletic than Fournier and he's a legit 6'8" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Gut feelings with no real basis in reality is a really weird reason to have an opinion. Like I can understand preferring other players to doncic or arguing fit or something. Or preferring size or outlier level athleticism to doncic's decent athleticism. But just randomly guessing with no basis, like, doesn't mean anything. You aren't correct if he's a bust. You just chose an outcome. It's like saying a coin flip is landing heads. If it does lands on heads you didn't correctly predict something, you just chose a 50% random event that lucked out. 

If you say so

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I underrated Tatum for not being conventionally athletic last year and I won't make the same mistake. Doncic will be a stud

yeah I learned that betting on conventional athleticism can net you Gerald Green

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I underrated Tatum for not being conventionally athletic last year and I won't make the same mistake. Doncic will be a stud

Might that same thinking apply to Bagley?

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Might that same thinking apply to Bagley?

I'm more skeptical about Bagley because he's a PF/C and if you can't play defense at a high level at those positions you are screwed

• Upvote 1

If PHX is picking ahead of us, it does no good to consider Doncic.  He is probably destined for PHX.  Ayton will go #1 unless PHX is there then he'll be 2.  Bagley will go three while Bamba, Porter, and Jackson battle it out for 4-6.  The most interesting draft is if PHX falls to 4.  I have a feeling we get the fifth or sixth pick and end up taking whichever of those 3 fall.  I don't see us reaching for other players, though we could trade down if Young, Bridges, Sexton, etc are compelling.  

10 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'm more skeptical about Bagley because he's a PF/C and if you can't play defense at a high level at those positions you are screwed

That's reasonable but it's important to understand the difference between an inability to play defense at the college level as a true freshman and whether it was ever a point of focus for him.  That zone Duke ran works for college but leaves holes that falls on the frontcourt 'defenders' and makes defensive metrics at the college level less of a prognosticator for NBA success.  His elite athleticism gives him flexibility to improve, you don't have to be a shut down defender to play front court in the NBA.  You just have to fit your team dynamic and make enough happen on offense to cover mistakes.  The other side of the coin is why Jackson isn't rated as highly by some as others.