Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

42 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

That Batum contract, wow.... Let's remember that contract for context when we resign AG 

In fairness they did make the play offs when he was playing on an expiring contract and he did play pretty well. He was one of six players to average at least 14 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists through that season, the other players were Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, James Harden, Lebron James, and Russell Westbrook - not bad company!

Did they overpay? Sure, but he was also unrestricted and there was interest from other teams. It made sense for them to pair Batum and Walker through their prime years. They also extended Marvin Williams after he had a career year, the previous off season they had extended Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and at some point they also extended Cody Zeller. So essentially they decided to keep the core that got them to the play offs in 2015-16 and bank on them improving. Sadly that gamble hasn't paid off for them as some of those players have regressed while Kemba Walker has ascended. It can happen. 

Should we remember this contract when we consider extending Gordon? Yes, but the difference between those two players is that Batum was 26/27 when he signed his extension and had already played eight seasons in the league, whereas Gordon is only 22 years old and has played only four seasons. In hindsight Charlotte probably shouldn't have paid Batum the amount they did because if you aren't an all star caliber player by the end of your eighth season you are probably not going to become one. So if I'm being critical Charlotte did get it wrong by putting that contract on the table for someone that has only been a 3-and-D wing throughout their career. The difference with Gordon is that he's only played four seasons in the league and has got better each year (more rebounds, more points, better shooting percentages). It is still possible for Gordon to continue to ascend and become an all star player during any extension we hand him this off season, so we aren't tying ourselves to an eight year veteran 3-and-D wing, we are tying ourselves to a young ascending forward that we are backing to become an all star. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

.......AND it is the way the game is being played.  The teams that have drafted 1, 2, and 3 the last few years are in a much better position than we are!!!   It ain't rocket science here!!!!

Teams that have drafted 1-4 the past two years are Brooklyn (didn’t keep picks), Philly, LA, and Phoenix.  Other than Philly, who put their fans through some really bad years and now are in the playoffs, not sure what tanking has done for the others, who remain terrible.  Minnesota had at least 12 bad years in a row, got a few high picks eventually, and now after all that time are 7th seed in the playoffs.  Hardly seems like a direct route to prosperity. 

2 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

In fairness they did make the play offs when he was playing on an expiring contract and he did play pretty well. He was one of six players to average at least 14 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists through that season, the other players were Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, James Harden, Lebron James, and Russell Westbrook - not bad company!

Did they overpay? Sure, but he was also unrestricted and there was interest from other teams. It made sense for them to pair Batum and Walker through their prime years. They also extended Marvin Williams after he had a career year, the previous off season they had extended Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and at some point they also extended Cody Zeller. So essentially they decided to keep the core that got them to the play offs in 2015-16 and bank on them improving. Sadly that gamble hasn't paid off for them as some of those players have regressed while Kemba Walker has ascended. It can happen. 

Should we remember this contract when we consider extending Gordon? Yes, but the difference between those two players is that Batum was 26/27 when he signed his extension and had already played eight seasons in the league, whereas Gordon is only 22 years old and has played only four seasons. In hindsight Charlotte probably shouldn't have paid Batum the amount they did because if you aren't an all star caliber player by the end of your eighth season you are probably not going to become one. So if I'm being critical Charlotte did get it wrong by putting that contract on the table for someone that has only been a 3-and-D wing throughout their career. The difference with Gordon is that he's only played four seasons in the league and has got better each year (more rebounds, more points, better shooting percentages). It is still possible for Gordon to continue to ascend and become an all star player during any extension we hand him this off season, so we aren't tying ourselves to an eight year veteran 3-and-D wing, we are tying ourselves to a young ascending forward that we are backing to become an all star. 

yeah I'd have to agree, I like Batums game it's just an overpay which is probably necessary on bad teams. If Gordon got handed the same contract it'd make more sense as he's produced similar if not better numbers than Batum while trending upwards. I've enjoyed watching Gordon become more of a facilitator and ideally he could become a secondary initiator for the team, that's probably his ceiling in those regards. I wouldn't be upset if Aaron got 24 or 25 per year,  Batums contract just helps with league wide context somewhat

2 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

To whoever said Bagley was not “long”: how exactly? 

Also I would make the Batum trade if it got rid of Vuc 

You would take on the worst contract in the NBA to get rid of an expiring 12mill contract???

8 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

You would take on the worst contract in the NBA to get rid of an expiring 12mill contract???

yeah doesn't make much sense, I'd need Batum + 2 unprotected first rounders to start talks 

13 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

He's more of a 6 foot 9 guy with a long neck and a 7 foot wingspan but he could also be the most athletic 6'11" guy in a loooong time so that adds to his dynamic reach I feel

16 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

He's 6'11 with a 7'0 wingspan.  That's not long.  That's below average

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Teams that have drafted 1-4 the past two years are Brooklyn (didn’t keep picks), Philly, LA, and Phoenix.  Other than Philly, who put their fans through some really bad years and now are in the playoffs, not sure what tanking has done for the others, who remain terrible.  Minnesota had at least 12 bad years in a row, got a few high picks eventually, and now after all that time are 7th seed in the playoffs.  Hardly seems like a direct route to prosperity. 

so you bring up Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram? They look better than anyone on our roster and should be borderline all stars for their absolute floor and then have to stretch the top 3 out to top 4 in order to mention Josh Jackson, who was never going to be a number one guy but rather a complimentary piece to Booker to make your point?