Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

13 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

You make a very compelling, logical argument.  Individual workout will be huge and can confirm exactly what you are saying.  And his interview--does he have that drive to be the best!   His first 2/3 of this season and you are 100% on the mark (at that point nba mock drafts had him in the top 5 and as high as 3).  Concern is last 1/3 and why his production/accuracy diminished.  There may be a good logical reason (i.e injured player who was there earlier, etc.)  As long as it was not due to diminshed physical stamina I can overlook it.  He had some monster games offensively in 2pt shooting, 3pt shooting, and free throws.  I thought I read someone say he could not get to the lane.  He had way too many double digit free throw games (13,14,15,16, 17, 18 free throws) for that to be an issue.  I saw Isaiah Thomas (all 5'11' of him) of the Lakers shoot, dribble, and assist us to death the other night showing what a PG with penetrating and shooting skills (spread the floor) both can do to a defense.    He will have to improve in some areas (T/O, defense) but it is hard to ignore 27+ points/game and almost 9 assists per game.  86% FT shooter now proving he can shoot (probably gots to 90% as a pro.)    I will not be diappointed if he is in a Magic uniform next year.   One point you make that is valid is we do need offense.  

I think his numbers went down as teams just made his team mates beat them. They'd double and triple team Trae and pick him up full court entire games it's been crazy. Im sure fatigue from his usage is a factor as well but I think NBA doctors nutritionists and trainers could get his body to where it needs to be AND we wouldn't have to play him as much as Oklahoma does + he could play more off ball which would be fun to watch and analyze. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Draft express has sexton over young and young falling to 9th

I say my men don't dance they just pull up their pants and ...

trade back??

23 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

A long and thoughtful post. Having watched most of Young’s games in 2018, here are my concerns:

1. He struggles with physical defense. Yes, his team is bad, but I saw him get shut down a lot by guys simply playing up against him. This will only become more apparent in the pros.

2. He struggles to play defense. Whether it’s an interest thing or footwork thing, his defense has waned as his team has accumulated more losses.

3. His body is tiny. Yes, one can make an argument that Curry is small, but my eyeball test tells me he’ll take a beating in the pros.

If we pick him, I’ll be supportive, yet I think this board is looking at our glaring need without considering Young’s big question marks.

Edit: And I forgot to mention his crazy high turnover problem.

Fair points. 

I saw him figure out Jevon Carter's defense and overcome that. I think Traes probably the smartest or 2nd smartest player in this draft. I think he needs to work on his core strength and he'll be fine.

I also don't think you can judge his defense because he's asked to do sooooo much on offense that'd he'd just be completely tanked to exert anything worth wild there. I know his ceiling is low there on ball but he could be a pesky lane splitter like AI was. He made all defensive teams just doing that cause he'll admit he couldn't guard anyone one on one . He basically just needs to be smart enough to play team D which I believe he is

I'm not as concerned with Youngs turnovers. I don't think he's a bad decision maker or ball handler. 

I think a lot of his turnovers can be attributed to his high usage, INFERIOR teammates hands and bball Iq,  and facing double and triple teams all night every night. 

I heard somewhere that exhibiting the willingness to make risky passes is one of a few precursors of projecting whether or not a guy will be a great passer one day. I guess that shows the confidence and creativity needed to reach certain levels. 

He'll be better than Westbrook at assist to turnovers before long I believe.

6 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I'm not as concerned with Youngs turnovers. I don't think he's a bad decision maker or ball handler. 

I think a lot of his turnovers can be attributed to his high usage, INFERIOR teammates hands and bball Iq,  and facing double and triple teams all night every night. 

I heard somewhere that exhibiting the willingness to make risky passes is one of a few precursors of projecting whether or not a guy will be a great passer one day. I guess that shows the confidence and creativity needed to reach certain levels. 

He'll be better than Westbrook at assist to turnovers before long I believe.

You cant blame high usage for the negatives but also ignore high usage for his inflated positive numbers.  If he played in a normal situation he'd be Cameron Payne. 

He's a good not great shooter (36% now.  36% in high school) he's got a long way to go to even be a bad defender.  He's a really bad decision maker in his passing and his shot selection sometimes.  

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You cant blame high usage for the negatives but also ignore high usage for his inflated positive numbers.  If he played in a normal situation he'd be Cameron Payne. 

He's a good not great shooter (36% now.  36% in high school) he's got a long way to go to even be a bad defender.  He's a really bad decision maker in his passing and his shot selection sometimes.  

I never ignored his high usage for his positive numbers, there's a ying and yang to high usage with his game, I think that's pretty much undeniable. Cameron Payne? I'm not sure how to react to that other than general bewilderment. 

Since 1-30-18 JJJ has improved, ayton has averaged 22/13/2.2 blocks on 61/43/73 shooting, other guys are improving.  

Trae has averaged 21 points 7 assists and 5 turnovers on 35/26/95 shooting.  His team is 2-8.