Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

I think it is.  Doncic and Ayton one and two or two and one in almost every mock draft.  When it gets to three, if that is where we pick or lower, is where it gets crazy.  Tankathon has us taking Young at 3, I am not so sure.  I like Young as a pure PG but just not sure he is the best player at that point in the draft, it is probably Bagley, maybe Porter.  I think Bagley > JJJ based on stats and potential (better defender, rebounder, blocker of shots, better leaper).  Actually for PF as a pro I think Bagley > Isaac > Gordon.  My hope is Isaac, with ball handling and shooting skills, can play 3.  Almost has to since Gordon cannot.  But drafting Bagley creates a logjam.  Porter is an enigma due to injury.  Hope the NCAA tournament gives us a  better look.  Based on what we have seen, if healthy he could go at 3.  Hope we are at 1 or 2 so our decision is easy and we do not have to even debate who is better at 3 or less!

The Tankathon simulator doesn't have us taking Bagley in ANY situation and having nothing less than the 6th pick.

I like Vince Edwards in round 2. Looks a prototypical bench wing to me. Long, athletic, solid rebounder and 40% ish from 3.

Then again I basically always talk myself into a guy out of Purdue in round 2. Last year was Swanigan and year before was AJ Hammons. This year its Vince Edwards and I'm a big fan of Carson Edwards if and when he comes out too.

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

The Tankathon simulator doesn't have us taking Bagley in ANY situation and having nothing less than the 6th pick.

I know.  I would  rate Tankathon excellent/really good at projecting, based on teams needs, the top players this early.  Also, a lot of fun to reset the lottery button to see what the Magic take at different positions.  Where I find Tankathon falls short is after the lottery and as individual workouts occur, as teams begin to really zero in on who they will pick, you always see changes, players going up and down on a team's board, teams falling in love with a certain player.  Tankathon normally does not factor those human emotions in very well.  If we draft third, and it appears likely Doncic and Ayton are both gone, I am certain Bagley will be considered. Long, lanky, and lean (three of Weltman's likes) with the talent of a #3 pick.  We would be remiss not to take a long and hard look.

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

I know.  I would  rate Tankathon excellent/really good at projecting, based on teams needs, the top players this early.  Also, a lot of fun to reset the lottery button to see what the Magic take at different positions.  Where I find Tankathon falls short is after the lottery and as individual workouts occur, as teams begin to really zero in on who they will pick, you always see changes, players going up and down on a team's board, teams falling in love with a certain player.  Tankathon normally does not factor those human emotions in very well.  If we draft third, and it appears likely Doncic and Ayton are both gone, I am certain Bagley will be considered. Long, lanky, and lean (three of Weltman's likes) with the talent of a #3 pick.  We would be remiss not to take a long and hard look.

Yes, at some point it stops being a crystal ball lol

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

I'm crazy high on Bagley and I don't even have him in my top 5 for us. There's no situation where a team drafts Bagley and it's a bad thing. such a deep draft

In our history every time the Magic have been relevant we have had a dominant center. If we get the 1st pick do you think we would really pass up on Ayton and take Doncic like Tankathon suggests in every sim that we get the 1st pick in?

25 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

In our history every time the Magic have been relevant we have had a dominant center. If we get the 1st pick do you think we would really pass up on Ayton and take Doncic like Tankathon suggests in every sim that we get the 1st pick in?

No we'd take Ayton, Doncic looks nice buuuuut I need to reserve my lack of defense for my point guard spot.  I'd take Young over Doncic

This draft is one of those where you'll look back at it in a few years and ask "how the hell did they pass on that guy?"

So many options but I don't know for sure who's going to be the top dog