Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

55 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I have no idea what my top 5 looks like. I've listened to enough guys say Doncic's athleticism concerns are overblown and that he's strong and fast enough to play and defend.  Maybe i have him 1 now.  

I think the issue is what is considered athleticism too, and does he have some of the abilities that other "unathletic" players have that offset that. Does he have good change of pace ability? Change of direction? Is he good at squeezing through gaps and holes? Does he have good balance and coordination? How is his first step? How is his lateral movement?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I feel that when people are speaking about athleticism, many of these elements are ignored. Instead, when talking about athleticism, at least in the NBA, it seems to be mostly about jumping ability, speed and acceleration, and strength- mostly in that order.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I have no idea what my top 5 looks like. I've listened to enough guys say Doncic's athleticism concerns are overblown and that he's strong and fast enough to play and defend.  Maybe i have him 1 now.  

Like you I am  counting on the "experts" opinions about how good Doncic really is.  Based on our needs and assuming no complete roster turnover I have the top 6 as Doncic-Ayton-Bamba-Young-Bagley-JJJ.  PG the biggest priority depending on draft position, Center next.  Bamba intriquing with his 7'9" wing span and 4 blocks per game, probably the best fit in Vogel's defensive scheme.  A Bamba, Gordon and Isaac front line pretty imposing  defensively which is why I put him 3rd.  Ayton a better offensive player which is why he is 2nd.  Young not only a scorer, with his range and ability to penetrate, that spreads the floor but 9.1 assists/game and his playmaking abilities being overlooked. He is a complete PG.  I love JJJ and Bagley just unsure how they fit into our current roster with Gordon and Isaac.  No matter what any of those 6 make us a better team.   

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Is he good at squeezing through gaps and holes?

I hope he can at least do that.

3 hours ago, Odin said:

I think the issue is what is considered athleticism too, and does he have some of the abilities that other "unathletic" players have that offset that. Does he have good change of pace ability? Change of direction? Is he good at squeezing through gaps and holes? Does he have good balance and coordination? How is his first step? How is his lateral movement?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I feel that when people are speaking about athleticism, many of these elements are ignored. Instead, when talking about athleticism, at least in the NBA, it seems to be mostly about jumping ability, speed and acceleration, and strength- mostly in that order.

Here is a good link and description of Doncic.  Looks like #1 to me!

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9IlU.UZha7EQAl0lXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyN2xwM3RvBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwM4BHZ0aWQDQjU0MzdfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1519960511/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.sbnation.com%2fnba%2f2018%2f3%2f1%2f17031800%2fluka-doncic-nba-draft-2018-first-pick-projection/RK=2/RS=LEPVum3oPMbNOX5zhXU8uq6joQY-

So IF we can be fortunate and get that #1 pick and take Doncic who is from Slovenia, could that help us resign Hezonja who is from Croatia.  Neighboring countires and rivals but they have to know each other somehow.  You know like stay together and win a title in Orlando!!!!  We can dream, right!!!!

5 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

So IF we can be fortunate and get that #1 pick and take Doncic who is from Slovenia, could that help us resign Hezonja who is from Croatia.  Neighboring countires and rivals but they have to know each other somehow.  You know like stay together and win a title in Orlando!!!!  We can dream, right!!!!

I don't think it's going to have much of an impact as they didn't grow up playing against each other. 

Ayton is still probably the #1 pick.  Doncic will get a lot of press but I don't think a team with the top pick or two will pick him that high unless they weren't convinced of the upside in the college ranks.  There is a lot of upside in college this year.  I think he goes 3 personally but its early.  From what I hear Doncic may be special though, he's not easy to watch given his league.  

Ok so I finally have a top 5 , I think. So here goes it...

#1 -Deandre Ayton , elite bigs are hard to come by and out of Ayton, Embiid, and Towns, Ayton is arguably the most athletic. He looks like a perennial all star.

#2 - Luka Doncic, this is a guy I made grow on me throughout the season. He is still the highest ranked player in all of Euroleague in index score, I guess that's their version of player efficiency rating and he turned 19 Wednesday, as in 2 days ago. 

#3 - Trae Young, I buy his assists, floor spacing, and dribble skills in that order. I believe he'll be better in the league because he'll have much more space to operate in and better players to playmake for. Questions about his burst athleticism are worth hearing although I believe his first step is underrated. One aspect of athleticism that isn't brought up much is core balance and he and Doncic seems to have it in spades. This bodes well for their abilities to get there shots off the dribble, their feet are always well set and their body control is impecable.

#4- Jarren Jackson Jr. , this player is almost impossible not to love. I hate the for with our current rosters future (AG and Isaac) are we really going to bring in a guy who's best position could be the 4? He could probably play the 5 but that's still not a sure thing. Again,  love the player hate the for for team building, which Is love to assume our team is doing....

#5 Michael Porter Jr. , this is the guy, that if healthy, you say screw fit and draft the highest offensive upside player. More scoring upside than Tatum, Brown, Fultz, Jackson, or anyone I can think of that's come out in a long time.