Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

are you worried about Shai's foot speed? specifically north to south?

I'm not worried no, he will be decent, not bad not good just ok which is fine.

I've had to stop watching the video below as it makes me become irrational and want him at 6 lol

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

It's the day before the draft.

It's time for everyone to dig their heels into one prospect and struggle to do the simple things in life while the anxiety gets shoveled onto our fan hearts. 

Please, everyone, pick your ONE prospect you will do the highest flip for IF we draft. For me, that player is:

Trae Young. 

Please don't overthink this Magic, draft the guy, allow his game to open up everyone elses game, and draft a defensive center NEXT YEAR. 

Young, obviously 

5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

are you worried about Shai's foot speed? specifically north to south?

Not really. If you look at Wall, Westbrook, Fox... you're going to have a hard time catching them no matter what. The thing that SGA has, that sets him apart from Young/Sexton in my opinion is his defensive presence. He will be able to lock down most PGs and I think in time will be able to at least contain/annoy those top tier ones. I think of him like a Patrick Beverley with much better offense. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Not really. If you look at Wall, Westbrook, Fox... you're going to have a hard time catching them no matter what. The thing that SGA has, that sets him apart from Young/Sexton in my opinion is his defensive presence. He will be able to lock down most PGs and I think in time will be able to at least contain/annoy those top tier ones. I think of him like a Patrick Beverley with much better offense. 

There is more intrigue with Shai over Sexton. Having that length with AG and Issac would be nice. 

12 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

There is more intrigue with Shai over Sexton. Having that length with AG and Issac would be nice. 

Not saying you're wrong, I just hate how length has become such an priority now. 

"Not a skilled player but has length..." just irks me. 

I rather have Sexton personally. He has more skills.

Just now, Magicman28 said:

Not saying you're wrong, I just hate how length has become such an priority now. 

"Not a skilled player but has length..." just irks me. 

I agree. But with how teams play defense and switch now there is value in it. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

I agree. But with how teams play defense and switch now there is value in it. 

No you're right but I think it has become too overrated. Like length is great when you're mentioning Bamba. I mean damn right? But when it comes to PG play? Give me skill and talent first there then we'll figure the rest out as we go.

I think length allows players with lower ceilings and higher floors to see more playing time like the Warriors patrick mccaw is a 6 foot 6 point guard who isn't necessarily anything special but his size and length isn't going to allow for a leak in your team from his position. That has a lot of value WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE GOOD PLAYERS. we need good players first. 

The thing that scares me with Shai is he scored a significant amount of buckets by driving into the chest of centers, holding the ball as far out as possible and finishing layups that way. 

Against super length I'm not sure that works. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The thing that scares me with Shai is he scored a significant amount of buckets by driving into the chest of centers, holding the ball as far out as possible and finishing layups that way. 

Against super length I'm not sure that works. 

I wouldn't worry too much if the guy can get stronger and remember that big will be most likely rotating over much later given the more space in the NBA game. 

Last year Frank did go a head of DSJ mostly because of his length. No one saw that coming. I don’t think Shai going over Sexton would be as surprising as DSJ going after Frank. That was shocking. 

38 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

He would start for us. 

If you don’t want a C that can’t defend well that’s fair enough. I just think people aren’t giving him enough credit for what he can do on offense for his size. 

Didn't the Magic draft Gordon to be the defensive stopper with hope that the offense would come around?  Why not pick a guy to be an offensive catalyst with the hope that his defense will come around?  I'm not worried about where they play.  If you put Gordon, Issac and Bagley on the court to start the game, chances are your rotation is going to dictate that 2/3 are always on the court.  For the minutes all three play together, they are a complete matchup nightmare on offense and Gordon and Issac should be able to switch to give Bagley some protection on the defensive end.  It is not as though Bagley has athletic limitations that impair his defense like Vuc.  The guy is an athletic freak like Gordon.  I'll be shocked if he is there at 6.  Other than Ayton, I don't think there is another player that is more sure to be gone when the Magic pick.