Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Would Nash be as highly thought of today? He peaked during an era where there were only like 8 good point guards. In 05-06 here's some of the starting point guards around the league: Brevin Knight, Andre Miller, Luke Ridnour, Rafer Alston, TJ Ford, Kirk Hinrich, Mike James, Raymond Felton, Steve Francis, Delonte West, Steve Blake, Anthony Johnson, Eric snow, Marko Jaric, Smush Parker. 

I'm never going to argue that Nash is somehow a bad player (he'd still be pretty good) but with the game changing from "hold the ball" to "move the ball", the fact that those suns teams would be among the slowest teams today so the pace is less of a novelty, and their three point shooting is extremely low by today's standards, I wonder if he's more of a bi-product of the exploitation of what teams were doing wrong vs a high level player who would work in all eras

31 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

After reflecting and digesting this, I have come to the conclusion that this is just Woj's opinion or a smokescreen.  Weltman and Hammond have been incredibly vague and silent about workouts.  A day or so ago Weltman said they have pursued trading up, trading down, or staying at 6.  I like all options on that table.  If this is truly a leak from the Magic there is a reason beyond the obvious.  This appears to follow the premise that we will draft a point guard at 6.  I still think and hope they will draft BPA.  I think Weltman and  Hammond have been thorough and I will trust the process, not that I have any choice but I am excited.  

It's not a leak or anything. Just we need a point guard and like young and Sexton about the same so he decided to take Sexton. 

I still think we take Wendell Carter which is probably the smart pick but super boring. Hard to get excited about a guy who does small things right and his total package is a really positive player when you have a guy who shoots 35 foot threes, a dynamic shifty point guard who has a couple iconic college moments, the former number one prospect, and the best prospect from a championship team who had a few barrage scoring moments in the tournament all remaining on the board. 

ESPN suggested a trade of our two 2nd rounders this year plus Brooklyn's 2019 2nd for the Laker's 25th pick. Would you do it?

3 minutes ago, Odin said:

ESPN suggested a trade of our two 2nd rounders this year plus Brooklyn's 2019 2nd for the Laker's 25th pick. Would you do it?

Probably not.  Way too much.   Lakers, if they do not want that pick, are trading it to save cap space.  Last year we traded #25 for one future pick, not even a pick that day.  Our FO needs to be smart.  ESPN must be fans of the Lakers not us!!!

8 minutes ago, Odin said:

It would depend who is still on the board at 25 for me. If someone we thought was going in the 17-20 range fell I would. 

8 minutes ago, Odin said:

Depends on what happens in the draft. We go big at 6 I'd like to see if we can move up for Melton or Okobo. If we go guard and Mitchell Robinson falls I'd like to move up for him. But I'm not a fan of moving up just for the sake of moving up. It has to be for targeting a specific player that we feel is substantially better than what's there at 35. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Depends on what happens in the draft. We go big at 6 I'd like to see if we can move up for Melton or Okobo. If we go guard and Mitchell Robinson falls I'd like to move up for him. But I'm not a fan of moving up just for the sake of moving up. It has to be for targeting a specific player that we feel is substantially better than what's there at 35. 

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It would depend who is still on the board at 25 for me. If someone we thought was going in the 17-20 range fell I would. 

True. We have potentially 4-5 roster spots available (depending upon the Mario situation and what we end up doing with Mack), so we have space for all of those players too.

The Orlando Magic seems to be dialing in on what’s there for them at six, assuming they don’t trade up, which they have explored with both Atlanta and Memphis. The prevailing thought among fans is that if Trae Young is there at six, the Magic will pounce.

Early on in the process, though, the Magic seemed to be seriously interested in Collin Sexton, and word is that be might the Magic’s guy at six. The Magic ultimately will catch what falls to them, and if Dončić, Bagley or Jackson are there, things get interesting. However, if the draft goes as scripted, Orlando seems more likely to go, Sexton, Bamba, Carter or Knox than Young – at least at this point.

The draft is a fluid domino effect process, so at six the Magic have to cover a lot of bases, and it seems they have with their individual workouts.

The Magic desperately covet an impact player, so don’t be surprised if the Magic pull the trigger on a move-up deal, especially as we get closer and closer to the moment of truth.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-lots-of-nba-draft-chatter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

NBADraft.com has Trae Young going #3 to Atlanta. I still say a deal to move up to #3 is where we need to be focusing. Take one of JJJ/Doncic/Bamba and then focus on moving back into the first round to draft our PG. This would jive with the article posted above

2 minutes ago, magicblue said:

NBADraft.com has Trae Young going #3 to Atlanta. I still say a deal to move up to #3 is where we need to be focusing. Take one of JJJ/Doncic/Bamba and then focus on moving back into the first round to draft our PG. This would jive with the article posted above

It'd make sense. You just hope Atlanta is interested in facilitating a trade vs winning the trade overwhelmingly asking for the equivalent of like 4 first rounders.