Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

58 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Even if his back checks out FOR NOW it doesn't mean that it won't be a serious problem that costs lots of downtime in the future. Don't tell the teams that pick before us that though.

Yes, but at 6' 10" you'd look like a fool if you didn't actually scout him.

7 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Yes, but at 6' 10" you'd look like a fool if you didn't actually scout him.

There are 10 guys predicted to get drafted that are 6'10 and up. 9 of them played a full college season and only one of them had back surgery. Yes everyone should scout him but the team that takes him should be in a position that if he has recurring problems and extended rehab times it's OK if they blew this draft. IMO right now the Magic need someone that can step in and play NBA basketball and we are not the team to take that risk. I'd rather have someone with not quite as high of a potential ceiling but a much higher chance that they will be able to play. We already have Isaac as our designated injury risk player and we shouldn't take another one if there is a healthy player available. I would much rather trade back for #12 & #13 than take the risk with Porter. 

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

There are 10 guys predicted to get drafted that are 6'10 and up. 9 of them played a full college season and only one of them had back surgery. Yes everyone should scout him but the team that takes him should be in a position that if he has recurring problems and extended rehab times it's OK if they blew this draft. IMO right now the Magic need someone that can step in and play NBA basketball and we are not the team to take that risk. I'd rather have someone with not quite as high of a potential ceiling but a much higher chance that they will be able to play. We already have Isaac as our designated injury risk player and we shouldn't take another one if there is a healthy player available. I would much rather trade back for #12 & #13 than take the risk with Porter. 

Dude....... He's still in the lottery. I honestly believe that he gets picked in the top 5. If that happens then someone falls to us.

4 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Dude....... He's still in the lottery. I honestly believe that he gets picked in the top 5. If that happens then someone falls to us.

That is EXACTLY what I hope happens! I don't want him to fall to us and our management feel obligated to take him because he was better than the smaller high school children he played against. One of Doncic, Bamba, JJJ, or Young will be there for us and if it is someone we don't want we can trade back a bit and grab Mikal. 

7 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

That is EXACTLY what I hope happens! I don't want him to fall to us and our management feel obligated to take him because he was better than the smaller high school children he played against. One of Doncic, Bamba, JJJ, or Young will be there for us and if it is someone we don't want we can trade back a bit and grab Mikal. 

Believe in the process..... We'll be fine..........

So would anyone think that perhaps trading Evan Fourier and the 6th pick for Chandler parsons and the 4th pick be worth investigating?

Works for Memphis cause they unload his massive contract, and receive a very efficient scorer and playmaker and can pick up whoever they are targeting at 6.

For the magic IF he is healthy and can play true to form he is a top player in the league AND a hometown player so he adds value to the team trying to sell merchandise, tickets etc.
Additionally we are able to move up and quite possibly select Doncic if he falls. 

I would do this if Trae Young is picked by hawks, and or porter is picked by Sac to get doncic

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

So would anyone think that perhaps trading Evan Fourier and the 6th pick for Chandler parsons and the 4th pick be worth investigating?

Works for Memphis cause they unload his massive contract, and receive a very efficient scorer and playmaker and can pick up whoever they are targeting at 6.

For the magic IF he is healthy and can play true to form he is a top player in the league AND a hometown player so he adds value to the team trying to sell merchandise, tickets etc.
Additionally we are able to move up and quite possibly select Doncic if he falls. 

I would do this if Trae Young is picked by hawks, and or porter is picked by Sac to get doncic

I’d want more value coming back. I’d prefer Biyombo plus picks if I had to (they still save $15m); giving up Fournier for a player who played half a season is not equal to me. 

8 hours ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Believe in the process..... We'll be fine..........

I agree and what a great week this will be.  Appears we will draft multiple players to be a part of our "new" team.  If we stay at 6 I think we will get a really good player, if we trade up maybe a great one, and if we trade down we can get multiple contributors.  I have no idea what is going to happen?  Looking forward to what we will look like after Thursday night.  Weltmann and Hammond put their stamp on our team starting this week.

7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I’d want more value coming back. I’d prefer Biyombo plus picks if I had to (they still save $15m); giving up Fournier for a player who played half a season is not equal to me. 

I only make that trade if we keep the #6 pick too.  Taking a bad contract Parsons off their books so they can pursue a FA is worth the #4 pick all by itself.  Doing them a favor costs them the #4 pick.  Additional considerations OK but giving up the #6 pick is a non starter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Yeah. I think like 9 and Tim hardaway Jr is closer to what they should expect for 4 and Parsons but only because next year the Knicks have little hope and they might as well write it off.

6 and a marginally but not insignificantly better player on a better contract is too much to move up 2 spots.