Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

38 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Good teams kind of force you to switch because not switching throws you off balance where everyone is scrambling and you end up giving up wide open shots. 

The one single advantage we have from our roster is we're building a team full of switchability. It's extremely difficult to find guys who can switch competently 1-5 and we have two of those guys. 

Theres two reasons why Golden State was unbelievable pre-Durant. 1. Offensive math, multiple 43+% three point shooters plus other capable three point shooters. 2. 4 guys who could switch 5 positions on the court at the same time surrounding Curry who, while limited physically has great defensive instincts and will fight you on a switch and try to make it as difficult as possible. 

LeBron switched to Curry 32 times in the playoffs. LeBron scored zero points. Harden switched to Curry 87 times and scored 51 points. These are good outcomes for Curry. Curry, by sheer effort, is a significantly better defender than a guy like Westbrook and that's the cause of a lot of okc's issues. 

So if you told me Trae Young could defend as well as Curry I'd be pretty confident selecting him. But he doesn't care, has bad instincts when he does care, and when he does care and is somehow in the right position he still has issues physically. 

Mikal Bridges is ridiculous at switching and can shoot the lights out. Klay Thompson like?

4 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Mikal Bridges is ridiculous at switching and can shoot the lights out. Klay Thompson like?

I was terrible at projecting Klay in his draft and I'm terrible at projecting Bridges. 

He could be Klay. He could be last 6 years of Trevor Ariza. 

13 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I have no clue what point this is supposed to prove. Did I ever say shorter WR’s can’t be good? Are there exceptions to every norm? Duh. 

Also I compared a short DB to a tall WR so idk why you’re even talking about a short WR when that wasn’t my comparison. 

Go ahead and name me the great nba defenders with Youngs physical attributes. I’ll wait. Also, say hi to whatever name you come up with since they don’t exist. 

Point taken. There are always exceptions. I would bet trae is one. Chris Paul btw doesn’t have great athleticism. 

I love the idea of getting that Memphis 4 pick and keeping 6. Imagine this small ball lineup:

PG: Brunson

SG: Bridges

SF: Doncic

PF: Gordon

C: Isaac 

That is nasty.

Sense Carter is the only big we've trained I guess we're drafting a guard or wing most likely. If that's the case then vuch will be our starting center next season......... AGAIN

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Good teams kind of force you to switch because not switching throws you off balance where everyone is scrambling and you end up giving up wide open shots. 

The one single advantage we have from our roster is we're building a team full of switchability. It's extremely difficult to find guys who can switch competently 1-5 and we have two of those guys. 

Theres two reasons why Golden State was unbelievable pre-Durant. 1. Offensive math, multiple 43+% three point shooters plus other capable three point shooters. 2. 4 guys who could switch 5 positions on the court at the same time surrounding Curry who, while limited physically has great defensive instincts and will fight you on a switch and try to make it as difficult as possible. 

LeBron switched to Curry 32 times in the playoffs. LeBron scored zero points. Harden switched to Curry 87 times and scored 51 points. These are good outcomes for Curry. Curry, by sheer effort, is a significantly better defender than a guy like Westbrook and that's the cause of a lot of okc's issues. 

So if you told me Trae Young could defend as well as Curry I'd be pretty confident selecting him. But he doesn't care, has bad instincts when he does care, and when he does care and is somehow in the right position he still has issues physically. 

Double on a great post.  Trae Young hopefully would have been to convince us he could play defense during his workout here.  If he did then we may see him in a Magic uniform next year.  If not, and I love the offense he brings to the table, we saw in the playoffs how that would not work.

41 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Sense Carter is the only big we've trained I guess we're drafting a guard or wing most likely. If that's the case then vuch will be our starting center next season......... AGAIN

Not necessarily. Carter and Young has been the only 2 top 6 candidates we have invited. The rest are late lottery or first/second rounders. Since we have worked out more guards that tells me otherwise. We might go with a big first and guards with our second or we are just also considering trading down.