Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

46 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Couldn't we kinda limit the head hunting of Trae by not switching? It will take discipline and good coaching, but teach guys to fight (which I think Trae can do) through screens and try to avoid the switch. If you do switch, find a way to rotate effectively where Trae ends up on man sitting in the corner. IDK. not saying he won't get targeted, especially early in his career, but there's gotta be a way to mask his liability.

Good teams kind of force you to switch because not switching throws you off balance where everyone is scrambling and you end up giving up wide open shots. 

The one single advantage we have from our roster is we're building a team full of switchability. It's extremely difficult to find guys who can switch competently 1-5 and we have two of those guys. 

Theres two reasons why Golden State was unbelievable pre-Durant. 1. Offensive math, multiple 43+% three point shooters plus other capable three point shooters. 2. 4 guys who could switch 5 positions on the court at the same time surrounding Curry who, while limited physically has great defensive instincts and will fight you on a switch and try to make it as difficult as possible. 

LeBron switched to Curry 32 times in the playoffs. LeBron scored zero points. Harden switched to Curry 87 times and scored 51 points. These are good outcomes for Curry. Curry, by sheer effort, is a significantly better defender than a guy like Westbrook and that's the cause of a lot of okc's issues. 

So if you told me Trae Young could defend as well as Curry I'd be pretty confident selecting him. But he doesn't care, has bad instincts when he does care, and when he does care and is somehow in the right position he still has issues physically. 

Bamba next to Isaac would be insane defensively and for rebounding if we can goth #4 and #5. Bamba, Doncic and Isaac moving forward would also be very tall and lengthy. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Good teams kind of force you to switch because not switching throws you off balance where everyone is scrambling and you end up giving up wide open shots. 

The one single advantage we have from our roster is we're building a team full of switchability. It's extremely difficult to find guys who can switch competently 1-5 and we have two of those guys. 

Theres two reasons why Golden State was unbelievable pre-Durant. 1. Offensive math, multiple 43+% three point shooters plus other capable three point shooters. 2. 4 guys who could switch 5 positions on the court at the same time surrounding Curry who, while limited physically has great defensive instincts and will fight you on a switch and try to make it as difficult as possible. 

LeBron switched to Curry 32 times in the playoffs. LeBron scored zero points. Harden switched to Curry 87 times and scored 51 points. These are good outcomes for Curry. Curry, by sheer effort, is a significantly better defender than a guy like Westbrook and that's the cause of a lot of okc's issues. 

So if you told me Trae Young could defend as well as Curry I'd be pretty confident selecting him. But he doesn't care, has bad instincts when he does care, and when he does care and is somehow in the right position he still has issues physically. 

Great post. 

Trae won’t even get into a good defensive position most the time I’ve watched him. Like he literally stands strait up and down. It was pretty pathetic in college. So I think there is obviously some room for improvement with just coaching and effort but he’s always gonna be limited in his ability on that end. 

Also, if you look at his measurements compared to curry—young is between an inch or two worse across the board. That inch or two can make a difference to already bad defenders. 

Basically we maximize our talent by creating a team that can avoid doubling and disrupts a forced switch offensive philosophy. When you have no weak links it messes with the other team. Basically how Javale McGee being able to mirror LeBron completely destroyed a Cleveland possession. That's why Isaac and Gordon have value. That's where Draymond is valuable. 

If we don't switch we have to scramble and forcing other teams to scramble was the basic offensive philosophy of the magic under SVG. Because it's difficult to consistently make the right rotations. You'll leave someone eventually. 

20 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Ehh effort and desire can only take you so far at the nba level. At some point your physical attributes are gonna either make or break you. 

I compare it to football with an elite corner that’s 5”10 vs even an average WR that’s 6”4. You can be in the best position possible but if it’s a 50/50 jump ball the 6”4 guy is gonna win.

Steve smith says hi

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He’s a freshman how old was curry when he went to the nba? And defense is winning what right now in the nba? You can say and probably will that gs has great d. They have generational offensive talent so talk about an outlier. So that argument is mute. 

Just now, fan for too long 2 said:

Steve smith says hi

Steve Smith has nothing to do with his point lol. The point wasn't "tall guys are always better receivers". The point was "short corners are physically limited. A short corner without a freakish wingspan or outlier level leaping ability but with excellent technique is at a significant disadvantage to an average tall receiver"

So that argument is mute. 

Moot.  Your retort will sound better if you know the words to use.

He’s a freshman how old was curry when he went to the nba? And defense is winning what right now in the nba? You can say and probably will that gs has great d. They have generational offensive talent so talk about an outlier. So that argument is mute. 

Lol. The argument is mute you say?

Also, Boston had the number one defense. Utah had the number two defense. San Antonio had the number 4 defense. Miami had the number 7 defense.

Miami had the 20th offense. Boston had the 18th offense. San Antonio had the 17th offense. Utah had the 15th offense m 

All teams who made the playoffs with pretty good seasons. 

Denver had the 6th best offense. 26th best defense. Missed the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Steve smith says hi

I have no clue what point this is supposed to prove. Did I ever say shorter WR’s can’t be good? Are there exceptions to every norm? Duh. 

Also I compared a short DB to a tall WR so idk why you’re even talking about a short WR when that wasn’t my comparison. 

Go ahead and name me the great nba defenders with Youngs physical attributes. I’ll wait. Also, say hi to whatever name you come up with since they don’t exist. 

Overall I've settled into the following reactions for our various possible outcomes at 6:

Ecstatic if Doncic (lol), Bamba, or JJJ

Worried but willing to give benefit of the doubt and reserve judgment for some time if Young or Carter

Disappointed if Bagley

Absolutely horrified & hopeless if MPJ

No idea what emotions will be like if Hammond pulls a Giannis and goes totally outside the box.  Like taking Okobo or Zhaire here or something crazy like that.