Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Watch us take Carter over Doncic and Young

I just dont think Doncic goes pass Dallas or Memphis.  

Carter is really a good player and it is really a toss up between any of this guys. I do seee us taking whoever fall to us from either JJJ, Bamba or Bagley over young or Carter. 

5 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Watch us take Carter over Doncic and Young

i could see us taking Carter over Young; not Doncic. I'd be furious but I wouldn't be surprised.

I see us then trying to trade back up to take SGA.

4 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I just dont think Doncic goes pass Dallas or Memphis.  

Carter is really a good player and it is really a toss up between any of this guys. I do seee us taking whoever fall to us from either JJJ, Bamba or Bagley over young or Carter. 

Yea I don’t buy this Doncic getting passed Memphis thing. 

Carter over Young I could see but Carter over Doncic there would be a revolt. 

Hypothetical.

if Doncic is on the board at 4 for Memphis, would you trade 6 and a top 3 protected pick next year to move up and draft him? 

Edit: I guess I should give my answer. I would. I want a player with all star potential that can be an actual cornerstone player for this franchise. 

25 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Hypothetical.

if Doncic is on the board at 4 for Memphis, would you trade 6 and a top 3 protected pick next year to move up and draft him? 

Edit: I guess I should give my answer. I would. I want a player with all star potential that can be an actual cornerstone player for this franchise. 

If either Doncic or JJJ are there, I would. Those are the guys I have been hoping for the most.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Hypothetical.

Yeah. I'd do that. I'd also move up to 3 and take Jackson. I'm just in favor of moving up to 3 for any reason. Just whoever the team thinks is going to be best. 

We're in a position right now that I'd rather go 100% in on this pick vs getting a lesser player the next two drafts

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. I'd do that. I'd also move up to 3 and take Jackson. I'm just in favor of moving up to 3 for any reason. Just whoever the team thinks is going to be best. 

We're in a position right now that I'd rather go 100% in on this pick vs getting a lesser player the next two drafts

Yea I agree. I would throw in second round picks too if needed. I feel like if we really wanted to we do have the ammunition to move up to 3 or 4. I doubt we’ll do it but I think we should. 

I also don’t think that’s a bad deal for a team like Memphis or Atlanta. 

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think our two best options, if available in this draft, would be either to move up or move down. Either get a Doncic, JJJ, or Ayton, or get more picks either now or in the future to have more chances to find players.

At 6, it feels like we are just praying for one of those players to fall. The likely pool of players at 6 does not excite me or make me feel like we are likely getting value from that pick.

1 minute ago, Odin said:

I think our two best options, if available in this draft, would be either to move up or move down. Either get a Doncic, JJJ, or Ayton, or get more picks either now or in the future to have more chances to find players.

At 6, it feels like we are just praying for one of those players to fall. The likely pool of players at 6 does not excite me or make me feel like we are likely getting value from that pick.

Agree. 

I will say there will be 1 guy drafted between 6-10 that will be better than 2 of the guys in the top 5. That’s just almost always how it works. 

Now, will we be the team that drafts that guy? Probably not. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Donovan Mitchell isn't a good argument. There's nothing to suggest he was going to be a star. Pitino said he made a mistake not returning to school. 

He only scored 9 points on 3 of 15 shooting against Jacksonville State in the tournament. 

Something clicked between March and June. 

Thanks for proving my point.   Mitchell was a mid teen mock draft projection last year.  If these rankings were not guesswork he would have made the top 14 at least.  ESPN a PR machine with it's own narrative.  Not a ranking poll to put much credence in.  Sort of like it they get it right they will point to their accuracy, and if wrong oh well.

7 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Thanks for proving my point.   Mitchell was a mid teen mock draft projection last year.  If these rankings were not guesswork he would have made the top 14 at least.  ESPN a PR machine with it's own narrative.  Not a ranking poll to put much credence in.  Sort of like it they get it right they will point to their accuracy, and if wrong oh well.

A mock draft is meant to show where players are expected to be picked. The draft express guys are really good at that.

Like I said Mitchell is an anomaly. If you want to take a lesson from Mitchell (and oladipo and Brogdon and Gary Harris) it's "bet on athletic two way players with strong work ethic". 

Good read on Trae's defense, or lack of, and how it will get exposed, regardless of how good your team defense is. The O'Connor uses Celtics and Rozier as example and how Cavs still found a way to pick on the weakest link of the top defense in the league. Interesting stuff.

Defense will be a tall task for Young in the NBA. It will be a risk for any team thinking of drafting him in the middle of the lottery, even Orlando, which already has several long defenders like Jonathan Isaac and Aaron Gordon (a restricted free agent this summer). The Magic, who have the no. 6 pick, have worked out Young and have interest according to multiple league sources, as do the Knicks. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/14/17462490/trae-young-short-nba-draft