Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

The 13.9% all star potential they gave Ntilikina says it all about how accurate this is. 

give him 4 years and we can have a discussion

8 minutes ago, billy5783 said:

Feels like we haven’t worked hardly anyone out. This FO seems to keep things quiet though

we've worked out like 10 guys at least

22 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

we've worked out like 10 guys at least

Okay let me specify: it feels like haven’t worked out many guys for our top pick

Any word on how Young’s workout with Atlanta went? Would love for them to be enamored with him and trade back to 6 so we could grab Luka at 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

Any word on how Young’s workout with Atlanta went? Would love for them to be enamored with him and trade back to 6 so we could grab Luka at 3. 

From HawksSquak.net

Hawks draft workout report: Trae Young, Oklahoma

He’s an elite offensive prospect because of his playmaking ability, shooting range and feel for the game. But Young’s relatively slight frame, his defensive deficiencies and his ordinary athletic ability (by NBA standards) are potential drawbacks.

Q. You had a successful year at Oklahoma. Do you think your game translates to the NBA? 

A. I think it does. I think it actually translates better because of the spacing and my ability to shoot the ball and pass the ball and get my teammates involved. 

Q. We’ve heard about you gaining weight since the end of the season (at the combine last month Young weighed 178 pounds at 6-foot-1.75 inches). Where are you at with that now and where do you hope to be? 

A. Right now I’ve been traveling a bunch of different places so I’m trying to maintain. I’ve gained 11 pounds since my last game, so I’m maintaining that right now. I wanted to pick up weight and get stronger and that’s the main thing for me coming into the season. 

Q. Many scouts have compared you to Steph Curry. Do you see any similarities in your games? 

A. I see some similarities. I try to pick different things from different players. He can really shoot the ball, create space, so I definitely see some similarities. 

Q. Can you elaborate on how the different coverages you saw made it more difficult for you to produce later in the season and how that may help you as a pro?

A. I was getting face-guarded, double teams off screens, every screen. Different things, different coverages. I think it helped me being able to go back and watch film and now know what to do if that coverage happens in the NBA.

Hawks assistant GM Jeff Peterson on Trae Young

When you look at his size, he measured a little bit taller than Chris Paul, a little bit taller than Kemba Walker. Lack of size, you can’t make that argument because there are some smaller guys in the league who are really good — not saying he is going to be one of those two — and really productive at their size. Of course, they have different builds than Young, but height-wise they are similar. I think his ability to make plays for his teammates — really good passer, really good vision — can really be an asset for any team. When you get guys who can find teammates and distribute the ball like he can and typically is pretty accurate, that’s valuable. He obviously can make shots. His range is very impressive. He will have to continue to improve his shot selection...

We used say all the time, still do, OK, say...that’s going to be Taurean for a catch-and-shoot 3. You definitely have to trick your mind into saying, OK, he will be playing with higher-quality players [in the NBA]. At this level, he will be playing with better bigs, better wings, better guards. Now, at the same time, he’s playing against better guys on defense, too, so it’s going to be a little bit harder.

He will get beat up going inside a little bit, so he’s going to have to figure out how to take the hit and still get a shot off. But his touch is pretty good with both hands, so I think he will be able to adapt in that area. 

Adding strength will be huge. And I think just probably shifting his mind-set to every night matters on the defensive end because, if not, you will get exposed.

• Like 1