Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Also Fran Fraschilla pointed out today that we actually do have some healthy college tape on Porter in an exhibition vs Kansas where he scored 21 points on 6-20 shooting. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Also Fran Fraschilla pointed out today that we actually do have some healthy college tape on Porter in an exhibition vs Kansas where he scored 21 points on 6-20 shooting. 

Sounds like a Trae Young day at the office. 

The reality is we don’t have much at all to go off of with MPJ. Basically just high school film. Im not gonna judge a guy off a preseason game in college as an 18 year old. 

At this point I’m just thinking why not try to shoot for the stars? MPJ could be the scorer we’ve coveted for the better part of this decade. 

At 6 I think he’s worth the risk. Yea we could play it safe with Carter but I’m fine taking a calculated risk at this point. 

1 minute ago, MagicFan1234 said:

I would not touch Porter with a 10 foot pole with his back issues

I’ll let doctors who are actually educated in that field make those types of decisions. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

The reality is we don’t have much at all to go off of with MPJ. Basically just high school film. Im not gonna judge a guy off a preseason game in college as an 18 year old. 

At this point I’m just thinking why not try to shoot for the stars? MPJ could be the scorer we’ve coveted for the better part of this decade. 

At 6 I think he’s worth the risk. Yea we could play it safe with Carter but I’m fine taking a calculated risk at this point. 

It's just tough. He really needed more college tape. 

It's a mystery box situation. We have the least amount of tape on Porter so we give him the biggest benefit of the doubt because he hasn't shown us anything bad. 

But it's very likely that, had he played, be we would be talking about his issues the same way we soured on skal, cliff Alexander, Shabazz Mohammed. 

And I'd be pro-risk taking if there weren't other, better options this year for risk/reward plays. There's like 6 options at 6 for potential primary creator options and I'm not sure why Porter is the top option in that group. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's just tough. He really needed more college tape. 

It's a mystery box situation. We have the least amount of tape on Porter so we give him the biggest benefit of the doubt because he hasn't shown us anything bad. 

But it's very likely that, had he played, be we would be talking about his issues the same way we soured on skal, cliff Alexander, Shabazz Mohammed. 

And I'd be pro-risk taking if there weren't other, better options this year for risk/reward plays. There's like 6 options at 6 for potential primary creator options and I'm not sure why Porter is the top option in that group. 

I think this is why. There’s an unknown to him. He was the most highly regarded player in highschool last year. He can score from all 3 levels. Has good size. Gets compared to KD some. All these things are working in his favor. 

Him grtting injured will give us the opportunity to draft him. Maybe we finally catch a break and he’s our guy. 

I agree there’s other options but I’m just feeling like hitting for the fences. What if all the pre injury hype was real, he goes 7, and ends up being this perennial all star, scoring stud, and we end up with Carter whose solid but not great? 

Again, not saying I know strongly one way or the other with MPJ I for sure don’t but he could be a home run for us. Also he very well might go top 5 and in that case Bamba would be ours or Bagley.    

21 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I think this is why. There’s an unknown to him. He was the most highly regarded player in highschool last year. He can score from all 3 levels. Has good size. Gets compared to KD some. All these things are working in his favor. 

Him grtting injured will give us the opportunity to draft him. Maybe we finally catch a break and he’s our guy. 

I agree there’s other options but I’m just feeling like hitting for the fences. What if all the pre injury hype was real, he goes 7, and ends up being this perennial all star, scoring stud, and we end up with Carter whose solid but not great? 

Again, not saying I know strongly one way or the other with MPJ I for sure don’t but he could be a home run for us. Also he very well might go top 5 and in that case Bamba would be ours or Bagley.    

Sometimes swinging for the fences is bad though. Especially when it's the fourth inning and we have guys on first and second and a double could bring in the runners. 

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Sometimes swinging for the fences is bad though. Especially when it's the fourth inning and we have guys on first and second and a double could bring in the runners. 

So we should draft Mikal Bridges then? He is the surest player in that range. 3 and D multi-positional defender who proved it and improved on back to back national championship teams. If we had our star and we were building around him I would understand that but that’s not where we are. Swing for a star when you get the chance because that isn’t a chance you have every year.