Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Said it earlier in the year but since we worked him out ill say it again, im hoping we can get Theo Pinson as an UFA. I know he hasnt got a jumpshot but hes got everything else id look for in a role-playing wing. Long, athletic, rebounds, great passer and ball handler. If he can get to a passable jump shooter hed make a great guard off the bench and could end up being a steal. Honestly I'd consider using a draft pick on him but since he's a 4 year guy who can't shoot I think he's more of an undrafted guy.

Yeah.. but I think he will be a late second round pick. If he goes undrafted, I am sure a lot of teams will jump on him. Hope we do as well.

6 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Yeah.. but I think he will be a late second round pick. If he goes undrafted, I am sure a lot of teams will jump on him. Hope we do as well.

He kind of reminds me of a less crazy Lance Stephenson. 

that's what I got from it. 

1 minute ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Sounds like they want a pg #drafttrae. And want to keep AG. 

from Knightro on realgm:

Q: How have you been? How was the first season?
A: We went through a difficult first season. We didn't know how it would go. We wanted to evaluate the roster. We did that and determined we needed to make some changes, so we hired Steve Clifford. Exciting times are definitely ahead.

Q: What did you see in Steve Clifford during the interview process?
A: As we went through process, we kept asking ourselves "Who can do this long term?" We wanted stability and continuity. We believe Clifford is the guy we can do that with. I heard from a lot of friends around the league after we hired him and they kept saying "great coach, better man". We knew that when we interviewed him, but it's great to hear reaffirming words from peers.

Q: Did Clifford sell you on building people up?
A: Absolutely. He's a smart and creative basketball mind. Extremely hard worker, a first in, last out type with a great work ethic. He's going to have a good staff around him. Our current players are going to get better. Players we bring in are gonna get better. Player development is so huge with the league being so young overall.

Q: The NBA keeps changing, were those changes a big part of the interview process?
A: No doubt. Clifford is creative enough and smart enough to understand how things are changing. The game is not being reinvented, but its definitely changing. The entire league has seen a rise in three point shooting. Teams play guys that are all the same size, switching all ball screens. You have to have versatile players and a coach who understands that.

Q: If Shaq played today, what would he be?
A: I bet he'd be trying to shoot threes, but every rule is made to be broken. There will be another guy like Shaq one day who will dominate around the basket and leads his team to a championship. But look at a guy like Embiid. He wins inside, but also can step out and shoot.

Q: What type of player you looking at at 6?
A: If you look at our roster, there's not a lot of depth at point guard. If you look strictly at need, that's probably the most obviously spot, but when you're picking that high, you have to go best player available. In the back half of the first round and the second round  you can skew more towards need, but not early on.

Q: With guys like Ben Simmons at PG, has that position changed to the point where you need size?
No. No. No. You are who you guard. Not necessarily what you do offensively. A guy like Ben Simmons always doesn't guard point guards, so they still need other players to defend that position.

Q: You picked Giannis in Milwaukee, what was the process like AFTER you got him?
A: Giannis was such a fortunate break for us at 15. After that we traded for Middleton. We had such a rough year that first year, won just 15 games in Giannis' rookie year and got No. 2 pick. Jabari had he not blown his knees I think would have been a star. We're gonna do this right. Make the right decisions and we're gonna get there.

Q: Was there a moment you realized it was all clicking for Giannis? I want this to happen for Gordon.
A: With Aaron, its about becoming more comfortable with his game and role on the floor. Gordon would tell you "give me some stability, let me be taught a certain way for 1, 2, 3 consecutive years". That will be a positive factor for him. Gordon needs to become more consistent and he needs to win.

Q: I think you have to resign Gordon.
A: I appreciate that and we feel the same.

Q: What's the plan now the coach is hired?
A: As soon as I hang up the phone, I'm walking back into that draft bunker to get back to work.

Q: Credit for keeping the coach search quiet
A: If you do business the right way, people respect you for that.

Q: Are there moments where you're still "man I'm in the NBA?"
A: The craziest thing about this job is the fact I still have so many "pinch me" moments. I'm 63 years old, 30th year in NBA basketball. Very lucky and fortunate to have this opportunity. A lot of really talented people are out and cant get back in and I appreciate all I've gotten.

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Though not necessarily at 6

to me, sounded like he said we lack depth at PG and if you draft for need, you look at that in the draft. However, at 6, you go BPA. Sometimes, there's a chance where BPA also fills a need.

8 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Sounds like they want a pg #drafttrae. And want to keep AG. 

It was interesting, because he said at #6 you have to go for the BPA, but sometimes that can also be a position of need; so that does seem to lean towards Young; but with this front office, I don't have a good read on them, so it may just be a smokescreen. 

You guys read into comments too much. He's not referring to any specific player. He's also not not referring to any specific player either. 

31 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

It was interesting, because he said at #6 you have to go for the BPA, but sometimes that can also be a position of need; so that does seem to lean towards Young; but with this front office, I don't have a good read on them, so it may just be a smokescreen. 

It's not even a smokescreen. He said we need a point guard but we might not draft a point guard at 6 but we also might draft a point guard at 6. 

It's nothing guys.