Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

20 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Trae is a better PG than any of the PGs in last year's draft (Mitchell is combo guard). If he was in the same draft, he would've gone #1. Him not being top 5 this year has less to do about his potential & skill, and more to do about the teams picking at the top. #2, 3, & 5 already have PGs. #1 has Booker and because of his porous defense, they know Young/Booker backcourt would score 80pts and give up 85. #3, is actually considering taking him to replace their PG, 1 year into 4yr deal. So, though not a lock, he can still go top 3. 

I don't think he goes top 12 last year 

6 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

we need to come out of this draft with a PG and a center somehow, someway.

No we don't. We just need the best possible players. This philosophy is why we drafted Payton

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No we don't. We just need the best possible players. This philosophy is why we drafted Payton

Exactly.  This team needs talent, regardless of position.  BPA is definitely the way to go.  At the end of the day, the bulk of the minutes will go to the most talented players. The dilemma is that I don't want us to pass on Young and then be wrong and regret it.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Trae is a better PG than any of the PGs in last year's draft (Mitchell is combo guard). If he was in the same draft, he would've gone #1. Him not being top 5 this year has less to do about his potential & skill, and more to do about the teams picking at the top. #2, 3, & 5 already have PGs. #1 has Booker and because of his porous defense, they know Young/Booker backcourt would score 80pts and give up 85. #3, is actually considering taking him to replace their PG, 1 year into 4yr deal. So, though not a lock, he can still go top 3. 

Couldn't agree more, Trae is a definite stud. Fox can't shoot, Lonzo Can't shoot, Fultz can't shoot, Dennis Smith can't shoot and Trae is a better passer and scorer than any of them and gets to the lone at a better rate and can play off ball. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Personally I totally disagree with the whole BPA idea.
It's like you have 100 pairs of socks but need underwear. You go to the store and find that really good socks are on sale so you buy more socks instead of getting the underwear that you need. So now you have 120 pairs of socks and still need underwear. 

With your thinking if the BPAs for all 3 of our picks are all PFs do we take them even if we already have AG and Isaac?

8 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It's like you have 100 pairs of socks but need underwear. You go to the store and find that really good socks are on sale so you buy more socks instead of getting the underwear that you need. So now you have 120 pairs of socks and still need underwear. 

With your thinking if the BPAs for all 3 of our picks are all PFs do we take them even if we already have AG and Isaac?

yeah I think it's stupid and I don't see us taking a power forward. 

1 minute ago, Magicfan1987 said:

yeah I think it's stupid and I don't see us taking a power forward. 

IMO it is beyond stupid but supporters of the "take the BPA player regardless" theory would do it even if it alienated the face of your franchise.

19 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

We have one left sock that we might lose because it may cost $100+ million to retain it, and we have one right sock that we wanted to wear 82 times last year but could only put on for 27. There is also an abundance of underwear for a much lower cost than the Trae Young brand that may actually be more comfortable and longer lasting. We also have 30 million dollars invested in T-shirts with holes and mustard stains in them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tank Vogel said:

We have one left sock that we might lose because it may cost $100+ million to retain it, and we have one right sock that we wanted to wear 82 times last year but could only put on for 27. There is also an abundance of underwear for a much lower cost than the Trae Young brand that may actually be more comfortable and longer lasting. We also have 30 million dollars invested in T-shirts with holes and mustard stains in them. 

Sounds like we need to empty the drawers and start over LOL. I actually do that every year in January.

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Couldn't agree more, Trae is a definite stud. Fox can't shoot, Lonzo Can't shoot, Fultz can't shoot, Dennis Smith can't shoot and Trae is a better passer and scorer than any of them and gets to the lone at a better rate and can play off ball. 

The Lakers don't need Lonzo to be a lights out shooter. He's an excellent passer and rebounder, and can score well enough to contribute - 36% from the field and 30% from 3 point range.

De'Aaron Fox can score in a number of ways and his penetration due to his excellent athleticism and quickness helps him significantly - .412 from the field, .307 from 3 point.

Dennis Smith managed to average 15 points as a rookie without being a consistent shooter - .395 from the field, .313 from 3 point.

The thing to remember here before criticizing these guys shooting percentages is that they are all pretty much in the same ballpark as Chris Paul and Jason Kidd's numbers as rookies:

- Kidd shot 38.5 from the field and 27.2 from 3 point

- Paul shot 37.2 from the field and 28.2 from 3 point

As you can see Ball, Fox and Smith all shot the three ball with a higher percentage, and only Ball's field goal percentage was lower. So if Kidd and Paul became good shooters and two of the best at their respective position, then there's no reason why Ball, Smith and Fox cannot develop into reliable shooters as long as they put the work in.