Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

This is bad logic. It doesn't matter who the best point guard is in this draft if they aren't going to be a top 15 point guard in the NBA. 

Trae had a great stretch of basketball against a bunch of defenses that were outside of the top 100 last year. Against the best defenders he was bad.

His shooting was unremarkable. His defense was bad. It's a really really really bad gamble and raw numbers are blinding people to what he is. 

It's not just this draft it's the next two or three. This kid is tailor made for today's modern game. You have to snag him. 

7 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

It's not just this draft it's the next two or three. This kid is tailor made for today's modern game. You have to snag him. 

I see the exact opposite. 

I honestly feel like I have a brain tumor that's making me delusional. Because I go back and watch and see a bad NBA starter and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise

56 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I honestly feel like I have a brain tumor that's making me delusional. Because I go back and watch and see a bad NBA starter and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise

This. 

I keep trying to watch film and like what I see with Young. Because he was exciting, no one is denying that. 

But the more I watch the more I actually don’t like him. I don’t think he’s an nba starter. I absolutely think people are enamoured with him because of Steph Curry when in reality that’s an absolute best case one in a million comp. I could see young out of the league in 3-5 years. I’m really that down on him. 

Having said all that yea if we drafted him I would hope for the best but I absolutely do not see it with him. Raw numbers and a bad curry comp completely clouding people’s judgement. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

No I’m with you there, he screams bust to me too. But as you said coaching success is unpredictable, and so are draft picks.

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Two of Melton, zhaire, sga, Lonnie Walker, Sexton if he's there, Bridges if he's there, Porter if he's there. 

Trae is a better prospect and any single one of those guys might just be a backup but with two you have a better chance that you hit on one. 

I've been pushing this logic for quite a while. If we have 12 & 13 we double our chance of success. We grab Sexton, SGA, or Melton and a big in the 1st round and grab another PG and a shooter in the 2nd round. Hopefully at least 1 of the 4 quickly becomes an NBA caliber starter. The Clippers want Porter, The Knicks want Young, and we also have several other teams wanting Young or Porter so we may walk away with a good package of picks and maybe a player or dump Biz and a pick for #6 if we are not thrilled with who is on the board.

8 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

This. 

I keep trying to watch film and like what I see with Young. Because he was exciting, no one is denying that. 

But the more I watch the more I actually don’t like him. I don’t think he’s an nba starter. I absolutely think people are enamoured with him because of Steph Curry when in reality that’s an absolute best case one in a million comp. I could see young out of the league in 3-5 years. I’m really that down on him. 

Having said all that yea if we drafted him I would hope for the best but I absolutely do not see it with him. Raw numbers and a bad curry comp completely clouding people’s judgement. 

I’m not sure what you are watching. I’ll take that bet. He’ll be out of the league in 3-5 years? Bull. You hated ep cuz he couldn’t shoot. You hate Trae who has the best handles and offense in college. What guard do you like?  Anybody else is a project. Period. Oh I know Grayson he can jump woohoo. I’ll also bet that Trae will be in the league long after Grayson is a memory. 

23 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

best handles and offense in college

Sexton is a better dribbler and Bagley and Ayton were better offensive players

19 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Though I don't think he's going to be out of the league. I just think he'll be Patty Mills

I meant guards but that is debatable. And he has better moves and handles than Sexton. And better passing and vision. I like Sexton as a consolation prize if we don’t get trae. He is an alpha just like trae. And mills, really? All I can say No, Hell NO !!!

14 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Well there was the whole “flattened out” comment during the draft last year. That after we had Kuzma in for 2 private workouts but didn’t pull the trigger. 

Yea, there’s that and the whole Mario ordeal so I stand corrected.

Based on Welham previous draft picks

So, in theory the Magic will likely choose a player who is:

• Skinny
  • Mobile
  • Long
  • Defensive-minded
  • Probably not a jump shooter

Does this list of qualities scream out a certain player?

I would say it does. Texas Longhorns center Mohamed Bamba seems to check all of the boxes here.

If he is gone not many other players fit this archetype at that range. Duke Blue Devilscenter Wendell Carter Jr. would probably be the closest to checking all of the boxes. But he certainly is not skinny. And he is a pretty good jump shooter. But his mobility is questionable and that could mean the Orlando Magic will pass on him.

The next guy up that checks all of the boxes is probably Kentucky Wildcats forward Kevin Knox.

Do the Magic need another forward? Knox played some shooting guard at Kentucky this year. It is probably not his best NBA position. But if the Magic are married to this archetype (as in value these traits far more than typical teams would), then he very well could be the pick here based on perceived upside.

Will John Hammond and Jeff Weltman continue to draft based on their favored archetype? Or will somebody like Trae Young usher in a Jabari Parker-type value the Magic just cannot pass up?

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2018/06/03/orlando-magic-offseason-manifesto-2018-nba-draft/