Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

I feel really safe in saying we aren’t drafting young. I’m not even worried about making that mistake anymore. 

Hammond is a numbers and analytics guy. There’s no way he’s drafting young. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

l8a1IfH.gif

I mean we knew he struggled and his numbers were not all that great but seeing how many people chose to avoid a shot few make anyways and also shot it at a better rate than Trae just shows how bad he was. That's not on his bad teammates that's on Trae being bad. Comparatively speaking of course. On top of not being great from deep deep he also led the NCAA in turnovers. Where are the positives?

Trae Young would be a giant mistake, but we won’t make it. If all the super intriguing bigs are off the board by 6, we draft Carter. If we’re in love with Jackson or Bamba we use 6 and an asset to insure we get em.

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

I feel really safe in saying we aren’t drafting young. I’m not even worried about making that mistake anymore. 

Hammond is a numbers and analytics guy. There’s no way he’s drafting young. 

Michael Porter, Jr?

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

None of you Trae lovers have explained were your optimism comes from with anything but opinion. Still waiting...

I mean, since he's never actually played an NBA game, this is all opinion. The OPINIONS of the best scouts in the world are just that. But, yeah, the argument for Trae seems to be entirely that he will improve on his strengths enough to make them actual NBA strengths and diminish his limitations so that they don't limit him that much; all of this so his mentality as a fearless shooter and his ball-handling and passing skills will translate. Basically, with Trae, you're betting on intangibles as a scorer and demonstrable elite play-making skills settling in at the next level. It could certainly happen, but I'm not sure why such a risk is smart at 6.

To be honest, I'm not sure who I really like, myself. I'm not as high on Bamba as most seem to be, as he may be a dying breed of center. I worry about JJJ's lack of production in college. Carter is a safe bet, I think, but what kind of ceiling does he have? Porter's injury makes him a risk, especially since we never really saw him performing at a super-high level. Hell, even if Bagley slides to us I'm not sure he works; from what I  remember he's really bad switching on the perimeter (though, honestly, I may be wrong about that; I'll have to check that out), which is dangerous in the modern NBA. Bridges is like a 3 and D version of Oladipo (in that is strength coming out seems to be rapid improvement); that could work out, or he could be Thabo Sefalosha. I'm not comfortable with any of the popular picks, which is why I'm doubly confused by those who are so against Trae, and those who think we're just automatically getting a good player at 6. I can see everyone after Doncic and Ayton being complete busts.

I think maybe we should try to trade back and get Sexton and something else from New York, then trade up back into the first to get a risky big like Mitchell Robinson or maybe get Dante DiVincenzo. Or go the other way and trade back and select Mikal Bridges, then trade back up for Aaron Holiday (is he just massively undervalued for his height, because his wingspan is good). All I know is, if Doncic slides as much as NBAdraft.net seems to think he will, we need to do whatever it takes to trade up to get him. I don't really think he'll slide, though, because I just don't think NBA GM's are really that stupid.

3 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I mean, since he's never actually played an NBA game, this is all opinion. The OPINIONS of the best scouts in the world are just that. But, yeah, the argument for Trae seems to be entirely that he will improve on his strengths enough to make them actual NBA strengths and diminish his limitations so that they don't limit him that much; all of this so his mentality as a fearless shooter and his ball-handling and passing skills will translate. Basically, with Trae, you're betting on intangibles as a scorer and demonstrable elite play-making skills settling in at the next level. It could certainly happen, but I'm not sure why such a risk is smart at 6.

Well the the non trae fans at least have tangible statistics to support that opinion instead of bad teammates, quadruple teamed, tried to do too much. 

9 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

None of you Trae lovers have explained were your optimism comes from with anything but opinion. Still waiting...

there is nothing objective about basketball players, they are humans and there are too many question marks about every prospect this year. 

My optimism comes from his extremely diverse set of pull up jumpers, dribble moves, elite court vision, leadership, and leading the NCAA in points and assists per game as a freshman. None of these are opinions.

• Like 1