Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

let's say we draft Trae this year and a BETTER scorer next year, how amazing does Trae look as a 2nd option and constant catch and shoot threat? 

What if wes iwundu becomes the best player of all time this year? If that happens wouldn't drafting Mikal Bridges be pretty stupid. We'd look like idiots for not drafting  Wendell Carter as we'd need a player to contribute now so we wouldn't waste a year of iwundu greatness

But really, let's say hypothetically James harden decided he wanted to come here. Trae would be a below average choice to start next to him because the entire point of drafting Trae high is his offense is going to be fantastic enough to justify his bad defense. For that to happen you need him to absorb as many offensive possessions as possible. If someone better is taking the majority of possessions it harms the value of Trae because Trae can only effect a fraction of the possessions positively on offense while the negatives on defense remain constant. So basically you end up in a situation where a better defensive player is preferable even if he's a worse player overall. It's the same reason why a healthy Isaiah Thomas is a poor choice next to LeBron because Thomas provides his value from high usage improvisational scoring while LeBron provides his value by having the ball at all times. If you're reverting one to being an off ball shooter you're just better off looking for a higher level three and D guy to fill that spot. 

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just for reference RE: Traes massive USG. Here's every player ever with over 2000 mins, over 35% USG and 6'4 or shorter in the NBA. Dwayne Wade, Allen Iverson, Russell Westbrook. Trae is comfortably less athletic than all of those guys. He's going to have to change his game to adapt to play off ball much more and take smarter shots. People are expecting Trae to come in and just be our entire offense and if hes asked to be that he might have one of the worst shooting rookie seasons ever. 

Never said he would come in and dominate the offense. Don’t pretend to know how his first season will pan out. I doubt he would start till he gets his feet wet. Like anybody we draft at 6

40 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

then he'll pass to a cutting to the basket/darting to the 3 point line AG/JI and ice games and pickup the nickname Ice Trae and The Ice Man

Well at least you have a good imagination. Lol. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

You mean the last 12 games where opposing team strategies were to double and triple team him as much as possible?

So just so I understand, you don’t have concerns over Young’s inefficiency in shooting, his high turnover rate and his poor defense? That stuff was all his team’s fault? 

9 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Never said he would come in and dominate the offense. Don’t pretend to know how his first season will pan out. I doubt he would start till he gets his feet wet. Like anybody we draft at 6

So are you ignoring that glaring stat or just ignoring it? No matter if he starts or not the point remains he will have to drastically change his game to succeed in the NBA.

8 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

So are you ignoring that glaring stat or just ignoring it? No matter if he starts or not the point remains he will have to drastically change his game to succeed in the NBA.

Are we running Oklahoma’s offense? Wow

4 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

You can tell your friend Young is the only player in the history of basketball to lead D1 in both points and assists.

And turnovers 

3 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

The freshman that do? not sure ask KD!

I can’t 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Are you referencing the game where he shot 8 for 22 with 8 turnovers as a positive?

See this is the issue for me. I feel like most everyone on here that is enamored with Young is just obsessed with the surface numbers he put up. But when you really dig into his advanced stats it’s not all that pretty.

Maybe I’m in the minority here but when I make my judgements on these prospects—their actual stats is at the bottom of my list. There are way to many examples of guys that put up great stats in college that sucked in the NBA and guys that put up average stats in college and killed in the nba. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

And turnovers 

I can’t 

See this is the issue for me. I feel like most everyone on here that is enamored with Young is just obsessed with the surface numbers he put up. But when you really dig into his advanced stats it’s not all that pretty.

Maybe I’m in the minority here but when I make my judgements on these prospects—their actual stats is at the bottom of my list. There are way to many examples of guys that put up great stats in college that sucked in the NBA and guys that put up average stats in college and killed in the nba. 

Well I mean production matters but at some point so does efficiency. Because how else do we differentiate between young scoring 27.4 ppg on 19.3 fga vs Bridges' 17.7 on 11.9 vs Jackson's 10.9 ppg on 6.6?

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

So just so I understand, you don’t have concerns over Young’s inefficiency in shooting, his high turnover rate and his poor defense? That stuff was all his team’s fault? 

No. I just don't ignore context. When he was dominating he was quite efficient with a high usage and his team was winning. That's pretty impressive.

Everything went south when teams doubled and tripled team him. My response to that is what the hell do you expect? Of course those numbers will go down and yeah, it's a team game and has been for quite some time last time I checked and his team sucks. Just like any other decent team, you draft talent, you properly build around talent, bam, you got a solid team.

Put some good shooters, defenders, and athletic cutters/slashers around a guy like Trae and watch what happens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

An observation on the Trae Young debate:

You either believe Trae Young’s talent is so great he’s an exception to the rule and will be a big time player, or you don’t believe it so the rule tells you his impact will be average to below. So one side is citing the flashes of incredible play (which he undoubtedly had) as proof he’s the exception and the other is citing the rule. I don’t fault the people who want to believe we could get the next Curry at 6 and I don’t fault the people who weigh the likelihood of that outcome against the risk of the more probable outcome. 

For the record I don't think he's the next Curry.

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

that happens wouldn't drafting Mikal Bridges be pretty stupid. We'd look like idiots for not drafting  Wendell Carter as we'd need a player to contribute now so we wouldn't waste a year of iwundu greatness

no, no team would ever look stupid for drafting a 6'7" 3 n d shooting guard with a really wet jumper. 

Iwundu, if he's as great as you claim him to be, should be traded before the trade deadline to maximize his value for our team since we're nowhere near win now more. 

Having a two way stud scorer like Leonard doesn't negatively effect a high usage Trae Young.