Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

id rather have Mikal than Bamba, am I alone in this?

I'd rather have Mikal than Bamba as well, but that's on the basis that Mikal projects to be a very good 3 and D player that can play SG and SF. In today's NBA he can stay on the floor at crunch time in the play offs whereas Bamba would be riding the pine if he doesn't develop offensively (unless of course we follow Utah and keep our big on the floor).

The other reason I'd take Mikal is it would fit with what we've got here. Mikal, Isaac and Gordon would be pretty good defensively and in small ball can all slide up a spot to SF PF and C to allow other shooters onto the court. In normal line ups having them at SG SF and PF gives us a good core. 

1 hour ago, Tank Vogel said:

I love Mikal but probably. Too low of a ceiling at 6 when looking at our roster.

Mikal has a high floor as a 3 and D guy, so he's not ideal at 6 but he's a very safe pick whereas Trae Young carries risk because of his size, Bamba might never develop offensively and although he should be good defensively those types of bigs aren't playing prominent roles in the play offs, Sexton is a project shooter and if he doesn't put it together he's Payton mark II, and Carter is a decent all round talent but if he doesn't take his skills to the next level he could be another O'Quinn. So other prospects with potentially higher ceilings might not offer the same floor as Mikal.

Also, if Mikal develops offensively he could become a potential all star. So he's not one dimensional as many think because sometimes players like this surprise us (e.g. Leonard).

29 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Bridges is the one guy I have no real confidence in projecting. He's a good at everything late bloomer on a historically good team where he doesn't have to be the guy. He could be Jimmy Butlerish or Otto Porter or Tony Snell

Ideally we want a star at 6, but we could do worse than draft a high floor guy like Mikal and bet on him being the next Butler or Leonard unheralded pick.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Bridges is the one guy I have no real confidence in projecting. He's a good at everything late bloomer on a historically good team where he doesn't have to be the guy. He could be Jimmy Butlerish or Otto Porter or Tony Snell

his shots too wet to be Snell

7 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

Sexton is a significantly better shooter as a Fr than Payton was as a Jr. Can we at least stop that comp?

Yeah and the intensity that Sexton plays at along with his desire to win are nothing like EP.

18 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

Sexton is a significantly better shooter as a Fr than Payton was as a Jr. Can we at least stop that comp?

Sexton is Payton when Payton was at his other worldly best, but with a jump shot and all the time lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Sexton is Payton when Payton was at his other worldly best, but with a jump shot and all the time lol

And the confidence to take pull ups when guys fall asleep in pick and rolls

5 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

id rather have Mikal than Bamba, am I alone in this?

Both? or Mikal and JJJ, or Mikal and Trae.   I am not sure how Philly will approach this draft but I sure would put out a feeler on pick 10.  They have work to do on their salary cap if they want to make a run at LeBron.  And they sure do not want to tie up money if that is the case. They also have pick 26 (we traded our #25 last year to them maybe we can get their #26 this year.)  If I read this correctly Pick 10 carries a $2.5+ million cap hold and #26 has a $1.2 million cal hold.  Maybe they will be Philly and keep both those picks but I would try to entice them to trade 10 first and 26 second. There are always teams, as the draft goes on,  that want their money to chase free agents not to be spent on rookie salaries.  (Lakers??)   I hope we are trying to identify those teams!!!    Oh and Philly also has 4 second round picks.  

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

Both? or Mikal and JJJ, or Mikal and Trae.   I am not sure how Philly will approach this draft but I sure would put out a feeler on pick 10.  They have work to do on their salary cap if they want to make a run at LeBron.  And they sure do not want to tie up money if that is the case. They also have pick 26 (we traded our #25 last year to them maybe we can get their #26 this year.)  If I read this correctly Pick 10 carries a $2.5+ million cap hold and #26 has a $1.2 million cal hold.  Maybe they will be Philly and keep both those picks but I would try to entice them to trade 10 first and 26 second. There are always teams, as the draft goes on,  that want their money to chase free agents not to be spent on rookie salaries.  (Lakers??)   I hope we are trying to identify those teams!!!    Oh and Philly also has 4 second round picks.  

Yeah my dream starting 5 opening night

Trae Young

Mikal Bridges

Jonathan Isaac

Aaron Gordon

Biyimbo 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

"The vast majority of good players listed at 6’2″ or less have had elite athleticism on their side. Chris Paul, Kemba Walker, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Tony Parker, and Ty Lawson were all described as elite athletes in pre-draft scouting reports at DraftExpress."

Lol yeah ok.

I get some of his points but he's not providing much support.

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

"The vast majority of good players listed at 6’2″ or less have had elite athleticism on their side. Chris Paul, Kemba Walker, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Tony Parker, and Ty Lawson were all described as elite athletes in pre-draft scouting reports at DraftExpress."

Lol yeah ok.

I get some of his points but he's not providing much support.

Yea. I dont think any of those players are known for their athleticism at this point. 

10 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Yeah my dream starting 5 opening night

Trae Young

Mikal Bridges

Jonathan Isaac

Aaron Gordon

Biyimbo 

I'd do everything possible to make this happen for us. Give up 2-3 future picks, sell ownership percentage, whatever.