Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I don’t see the point in handwringing over Bamba’s fit in the NBA. We are years and years out from competing in the level of those elite teams, and by that time who knows how the elite teams will be constructed. Utah already looks to be on track to a high level team with a Bamba-like centerpiece 

True, things might change and teams might go away from small ball line ups, but it would require a Utah title or two to change people's minds because if the West is dominated by the Rockets and Warriors (or another team that plays in the same manner) and the same occurs in the East, then I don't envisage a significant change when we are ready to compete.

For me, I'd rather see us lay the foundation now because that way we aren't left scrambling seasons from now trying to reshape our roster to fit current trends. We are better off drafting and signing players that fit how we want to play long term and investing in their development. If that's going for elite defense with acceptable offense without relying on three point shooting, go for prospects that fit that criteria. However, if we want to play positionless basketball and shoot there's at a good rate, go for the prospects that fit that criteria.

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Schroder being an ass might make the Hawks take Young at #3

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him to an existing lottery team for another pick. Would a team like the Knicks consider Schroder and #19 (maybe #30 or #33 as well) for #9 if Trae Young or Collin Sexton are there?

If Schroder want a out and they can package him and get a replacement that could be an option for them. I think he's a good player for teams to consider, especially on that contract.

52 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

True, things might change and teams might go away from small ball line ups, but it would require a Utah title or two to change people's minds because if the West is dominated by the Rockets and Warriors (or another team that plays in the same manner) and the same occurs in the East, then I don't envisage a significant change when we are ready to compete.

For me, I'd rather see us lay the foundation now because that way we aren't left scrambling seasons from now trying to reshape our roster to fit current trends. We are better off drafting and signing players that fit how we want to play long term and investing in their development. If that's going for elite defense with acceptable offense without relying on three point shooting, go for prospects that fit that criteria. However, if we want to play positionless basketball and shoot there's at a good rate, go for the prospects that fit that criteria.

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him to an existing lottery team for another pick. Would a team like the Knicks consider Schroder and #19 (maybe #30 or #33 as well) for #9 if Trae Young or Collin Sexton are there?

If Schroder want a out and they can package him and get a replacement that could be an option for them. I think he's a good player for teams to consider, especially on that contract.

I think the Knicks would just rather take Trae Young for excitement purposes

33 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I think the Knicks would just rather take Trae Young for excitement purposes

Perhaps, but Schroder does give them a proven talent to pair with Ntilikina in their back court. At 19 they could then target Porter or Spellman if they want a PF/C, or there's other decent prospects. A pick like 30 or 33 could get them Hutchinson. 

Like you, I think Trae is their ideal pick, but Schroder will tempt someone to trade for him.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:46 AM, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Hope he stays in the draft.  Projected late first rounder due to coming out one year too early.  I would trade up for him.  Not a pure point guard but neither was Oladipo.  More of a combo because he can handle the ball.  Blew by Michigan defenders (who were pretty darn good) in drives to the basket  Checks off all the boxes of length, athletic (Highest vertical jump at 42 inches) and shooting.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Article on Trae Young https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2018/5/24/17386790/oklahoma-sooners-basketball-trae-young-nba-draft-projection-10-drake-references

I'm really surprised DeVincenzo is slated so late in the draft. Most of us never heard of him until the March finals because he was a bench player but the kid can flat out ball!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Hope he stays in the draft.  Projected late first rounder due to coming out one year too early.  I would trade up for him.  Not a pure point guard but neither was Oladipo.  More of a combo because he can handle the ball.  Blew by Michigan defenders (who were pretty darn good) in drives to the basket  Checks off all the boxes of length, athletic (Highest vertical jump at 42 inches) and shooting.  

I wouldn't be upset with this. This seems like the type of guy that Golden State would take and in 2 years he's coming off the bench scoring 10 a game. I'm honestly just hoping we make some type of move to get 2 first round draft picks this year. 2 lottery ones would be great, but there is solid players to be had in the draft this year. Probably not many super-stars, but still. Package Vuc/Fournier/Ross/Mack and picks.  

3 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Yep I’d be all over him in the second. I always want guys in the second that can ideally shoot and just come off the bench and provide some offense. I said the same thing last year but I just want better shooting on this team. Donte might become more than just a shooter too. 

While he has long been considered a strong candidate to be the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, Luka Doncic no longer appears to be a lock to even be a top-three selection, according to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony (Insider link). While it’s hard to know what to believe at this time of year, Givony explains to Kevin Pelton that the KingsHawks, and Grizzlies didn’t send anyone to watch the EuroLeague Final Four in person last week, and several NBA evaluators seem to have cooled on Doncic.

Givony believes those evaluators are overthinking matters, but admits “the skepticism is a lot more prevalent than expected.” As ESPN’s draft guru explains, some people around the league have concerns about Doncic’s athleticism – or lack thereof – and his ability to keep improving. However, Givony points to Doncic’s incredible workload over the last 18 months, along with European teams’ relative inattention to players’ diets and conditioning, as reasons why the young star may have not looked quite as impressive in recent months as he did last fall. On an NBA schedule, working with NBA coaches, those issues could be addressed.

Ultimately, Givony and Pelton both believe that Doncic is worthy of the No. 1 pick, with Givony writing that the 19-year-old is “too productive, too skilled, too smart and too good a fit in the modern game to pass up.” However, it remains to be seen how many teams at the top of the draft will agree with that assessment.

6 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

what's beautiful about bad teams is a lot of them are bad because they make bad decisions. passing on Doncic is a bad decision. let the bad teams role

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

id rather have Mikal than Bamba, am I alone in this?

I love Mikal but probably. Too low of a ceiling at 6 when looking at our roster.

18 minutes ago, Tank Vogel said:

I love Mikal but probably. Too low of a ceiling at 6 when looking at our roster.

Bridges is the one guy I have no real confidence in projecting. He's a good at everything late bloomer on a historically good team where he doesn't have to be the guy. He could be Jimmy Butlerish or Otto Porter or Tony Snell