Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

6 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Not saying that we should take him but in spite of all that negativity, wasn't he the first person ever to lead the entire NCAA in both scoring AND assists? 

Yeah but is that because of overwhelming talent and future projected success or is it the first symptom of a post Curry MVP world?

Is his situation analogous to the NBA? Or is he the first "air raid system quarterback" of college basketball?

There was that kid in high school that averaged something like 70 points per game because his team used a philosophy that if you play 4 on 5 on defense the other team might score 90% of the time but if your fifth player just stands on the other end and gets open layups he'll score 99% of the time. But obviously that kid isn't really a good player, his scoring is situation based. Trae's situation at Oklahoma was unlike any other situation in college basketball which inflated his numbers. Obviously he has NBA level talent but what if he was on a super team and his scoring was down to 17 ppg and he just lead the league in assists? Would we feel the same way about him?

12 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Not saying that we should take him but in spite of all that negativity, wasn't he the first person ever to lead the entire NCAA in both scoring AND assists? 

no, we shouldn't judge players off of their production in the sport, we should just evaluate based on how they will model Milk, Gatorade, Car Insurance, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah but is that because of overwhelming talent and future projected success or is it the first symptom of a post Curry MVP world?

Is his situation analogous to the NBA? Or is he the first "air raid system quarterback" of college basketball?

There was that kid in high school that averaged something like 70 points per game because his team used a philosophy that if you play 4 on 5 on defense the other team might score 90% of the time but if your fifth player just stands on the other end and gets open layups he'll score 99% of the time. But obviously that kid isn't really a good player, his scoring is situation based. Trae's situation at Oklahoma was unlike any other situation in college basketball which inflated his numbers. Obviously he has NBA level talent but what if he was on a super team and his scoring was down to 17 ppg and he just lead the league in assists? Would we feel the same way about him?

I freaking would, I'm looking for a high level initiator, the scoring is a plus 

so Doncic won what equates to Europe's finals mvp,  season mvp, and rising star (rookie-esque sense it's just for younger players not just ROY)?

that's so crazy it's hard to believe and he's barely 19.

13 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

I freaking would, I'm looking for a high level initiator, the scoring is a plus 

Congrats on drafting Steve Blake #6

10 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

if Ayton, JJJ, and Bamba are off the boards, I'm not sure my heart could handle if we took Bagley. 

There is not a situation out there where Jackson will be off the board but not Bagley.  Jackson is most likely going 5/6 depending on Porter.  Bagley is going top 3.  

10 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

There is not a situation out there where Jackson will be off the board but not Bagley.  Jackson is most likely going 5/6 depending on Porter.  Bagley is going top 3.  

Yes there is. 

Doncic Ayton go 1-2 in some order, Jackson goes third, Memphis falls in love with Porter, Bamba goes 5th. 

I mean I wouldn't bet on Bagley not going in the top 5 but there are scenarios where it happens. 

If you want to just develop players and be a farm team for other real teams then you need to pass on trae. If you want a dynamic scorer and passer that will excite the fans and lead the team then pick trae. That’s your choice. Period. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

If you want to just develop players and be a farm team for other real teams then you need to pass on trae. If you want a dynamic scorer and passer that will excite the fans and lead the team then pick trae. That’s your choice. Period. 

No it's not. That's a false dichotomy that you defined arbitrarily to fit your specific agenda. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No it's not. That's a false dichotomy that you defined arbitrarily to fit your specific agenda. 

Not really. Who else besides Luka and ayton lead their team out of the top 7 projected players?  Who was the dominant ball handler, scorer, play maker?

8 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Not really. Who else besides Luka and ayton lead their team out of the top 7 projected players?  Who was the dominant ball handler, scorer, play maker?

Yes really. Being a dominant ball handler doesn't suggest positive NBA impact.